I’ve had the same supper for 10 years

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

I’ve had the same supper for 10 years

Post by dtaai-maai »

Try this for size...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... obal-en-GB
I have two pieces of fish, an onion, an egg, baked beans and biscuits. Being a farmer means every day is the same.

[...]

I have lived in the Teifi valley, in west Wales, all my life: 72 years. I’m a farmer and look after 71 sheep. My boyhood was spent helping my family on the farm. I have never wanted to run away from it, even as a young lad. This valley is cut in the shape of my heart. I once visited a farm in England, about 30 years ago; that was the only time I left Wales.

Many of the friends I grew up with left to find work in the big cities. As a young man, I was offered a job in Scotland on the oil rigs, but I could never leave. My heart belongs here with the birds and the trees. I knew, if I left, I’d be thinking about my valley the whole time, so what would be the point? All I want is right here.
You're only allowed to comment if you've read the article, which is not long.

I'll say this much:

i. There are parts of this story I can understand, but it's not my idea of a life.
ii. I'd figured out he was a bachelor long before it was stated! :laugh: :laugh:

[NB: There is no truth to the rumours that this gentleman is in any way related to pharvey...]
This is the way
PeteC

Re: I’ve had the same supper for 10 years

Post by PeteC »

A few initial thoughts, perhaps more later.

First, he's totally at peace with himself. Regardless that it may not be a lifestyle for everyone, he has found what everyone born looks for and many if not most never fully find.

Second, a steady and healthy diet, as well as daily rigorous exercise, will not save you if you have dodgy genetics that predispose you to a serious problem. Strokes in his and his sister's case.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I certainly wouldn’t knock for doing what he clearly loves - it wouldn’t suit most people but it works for him so good luck to him.

Although Pharvey is probably not related, he’s probably eaten his lamb!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

No matter where you live, if you want it, you can have that type of life. Some people thrive on repetition others want variety. Some, out of fear, live lives of repetition, others do so because it frees them to think and do other things.

I always put things back in the same place and never have to think about or remember where they are, that allows me to engage in other activities without spending time looking for things. Other people put things down anywhere and spend the time that could be used doing something creative, useful, etc.,
searching for them. They don't mind doing that. As long as how your living and what your doing works for you, there's no problem.

For someone who grew up in big cities, living with a sister and taking care of sheep for a lifetime seems peculiar. But...................
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

He sure sounds content and, for that, I think that's great. Too many people do not like their life, to hear someone content that's great
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

dtaai-maai wrote:Try this for size...

I'll say this much:

i. There are parts of this story I can understand, but it's not my idea of a life.
ii. I'd figured out he was a bachelor long before it was stated! Image Image

[NB: There is no truth to the rumours that this gentleman is in any way related to pharvey...]

i. I find most expats have quite a history of travel, work overseas or adventurous pasts. It's in our DNA.

ii. Well he does have 71 sheep.

iii. As for rumours about pharvey, see ii

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Thailightzone wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:56 pm
dtaai-maai wrote:Try this for size...

I'll say this much:

ii. I'd figured out he was a bachelor long before it was stated! Image Image

i. I find most expats have quite a history of travel, work overseas or adventurous pasts. It's in our DNA.

ii. Well he does have 71 sheep.

iii. As for rumours about pharvey, see ii

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
How many of those sheep has he sired?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Cousin Wilf!! Fame at last!! :D :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.