Covid-19 News & Updates (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by caller »

hhinner wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:14 am ^^ Robin Hood is 33/1 around the square from Villa. 33 is about 100m away and used to have lots of bars, some named after European artists, iirc.
Yes, good point and correction - thanks. Distance to the Malls doesn't change though!
Talk is cheap
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

For information
Attachments
received_145601437480056.jpeg
(124.91 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Infections rise, 334 new Covid-19 cases

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... d-19-cases

Another 334 new Covid-19 cases have been reported, 327 local infections and seven imported, raising the total to 29,905.

The figure was up on the 250 new cases announced on Tuesday, a 33% increase.

Apisamai Srirangson, assistant spokeswoman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Wednesday that 174 new cases were confirmed at hospitals on Tuesday, and 153 were detected through mass testing.

Bangkok recorded 216 new cases (66% of the daily increment), with 133 found by mass testing (including 126 Thai and two Filipino) and 83 confirmed at hospitals (81 Thai, one Lao and one Indian).

"New cases in provinces were linked to the infections at entertainment places in Bangkok. The present Covid-19 situation is as serious as that which occurred in Bang Khae district and raises serious concerns," Dr Apisamai said.

Samut Sakhon province reported 12 new cases at hospitals (nine Thai and three Myanmar). Nonthaburi had eight new cases confirmed at hospitals (five Thai, two Myanmar and one Vietnamese).

At hospitals, eight new Thai cases were detected in Suphan Buri, six Thai cases in Prachuap Khiri Khan, three Thai cases in Pathum Thani, two Thai cases in Chiang Mai, one Japanese case in Ayutthana, one Thai case in Lampang and one Thai case in Nakhon Pathom.

Also confirmed at hospitals were two Thai cases in Khon Kaen (linked with local entertainment places), 15 Thai cases in Samut Prakan, six cases in Chon Buri (five Thai and one Japanese), one Thai case each in Chanthaburi, Udon Thani, Songkhla, Narathiwat, Phuket and Rayong and 20 cases in Sa Kaeo.

New cases in Bangkok, Samut Prakan, Chon Buri, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom and Ayutthaya were linked to infections at entertainment venues in Bangkok. The cases in Sa Kaeo were linked to local entertainment places there, Dr Apisamai said.

Active case finding confirmed 15 new cases in Samut Prakan (13 Thai and two Cambodian) and five Thai cases in Chon Buri.

From Sunday to Wednesday, new Covid-19 cases were reported in 27 provinces, Dr Apisamai said. Since March 11, nine provinces had been free of new cases. They were Phayao, Phrae, Mae Hong Son, Uthai Thani, Bung Kan, Sakon Nakhon, Phangnga, Pattani and Yala, Dr Apisamai said.

The seven imported cases were quarantined arrivals from Sudan, India (2), Pakistan, Switzerland, Japan and the United Arab Emirates.

Of the 29,905 total cases, 28,069 (93%) had recovered, including 11 discharged on Tuesday, and 1,741 were in hospitals. Thirteen patients were seriously ill and seven were using ventilators. The death toll remained at 95.

Global Covid-19 cases rose by 576,636 in 24 hours to 133.02 million. The worldwide death toll was up by 11,802 to 2.88 million. The United States had the most cases at 31.56 million, up 62,283, and the most deaths at 570,260, up 906.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again today. The Government are getting us ready for the Big one i.e. the re-opening of Thailand, and the arrival of diseased but vaccinated tourists. Compared to a couple of months ago, there are massive inconsistencies.

In January, the whole of Prachuap had suffered just one case of Covid in 10 months, which resulted in numerous businesses being closed down or having significant restrictions imposed for a month or more. I along with quite a few others called foul, the action was too strict, but we were convinced it was essential.

In April, Hua Hin has 8 new cases and one bar is closed for 14 days.

IMHO living with Covid, as opposed to protecting us from Covid will become the new normal until vaccines are eventually rolled out.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

When we're vaccinated we can live with it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

And when will that be? Thailand ranks as one of the worst in the world on vaccine roll-out. A virologist I quoted earlier predicts TWO YEARS before Thailand reaches 'herd immunity'

And let's not forget, vaccination does not make you 100% immune, but prevents serious illness, hospitalisation and deaths. (hopefully)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:10 pm And let's not forget, vaccination does not make you 100% immune, but prevents serious illness, hospitalisation and deaths. (hopefully)
Which is why I keep saying, "The re-opening of Thailand, and the arrival of diseased but vaccinated tourists."

The population of Phuket now will not be the same as when the tourists return.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

diseased but vaccinated tourists
Perfect description of future tourists.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:
HHTel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:10 pm And let's not forget, vaccination does not make you 100% immune, but prevents serious illness, hospitalisation and deaths. (hopefully)
Which is why I keep saying, "The re-opening of Thailand, and the arrival of diseased but vaccinated tourists."

The current outbreak of cases has nothing to do with tourists coming into the country and are you expecting the authorities to drop the need for testing prior to travel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:19 pm
Big Boy wrote:

The current outbreak of cases has nothing to do with tourists coming into the country and are you expecting the authorities to drop the need for testing prior to travel?

My point is, along with BB, is that although Covid vaccines will be a requirement for entering Thailand, it doesn't protect the local population. Covid tests on vaccinated people can produce different results. Not all test for antibodies. We know that people have arrived after testing negative on departure and subsequently tested positive on arrival in Thailand.
Until the population here is vaccinated, then the danger still exists.

It's already being reported that hundreds of fully vaccinated people are still testing positive for Covid!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

At least picking up positive tests from people who previously tested negative, is better than picking up negative tests and potentially missing infected people. Like you, I’m also hoping the authorities will speed up the vaccination process, in conjunction with any increase in tourism and remaining vigilant in testing.

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Assuming that they get around to making the OxAZ available here they will now have a problem of trust because of the blood clot news. And who really trusts the government anyway?

As for Sinovac, depending on that as the main vaccine hasn't done Chile much good despite 30% of the population having at least the first dose.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:19 pm The current outbreak of cases has nothing to do with tourists coming into the country and are you expecting the authorities to drop the need for testing prior to travel?
Correct, but the Governments reaction is weakening considerably i.e.:
  • In January when we had experienced 1 case in 10 months in PKK it was deemed essential to close bars, gyms, etc, etc for a month.
  • This week we have had 8 cases in Hua Hin alone. It is essential to close one bar.
Surely you can see the inconsistency. Financial pressures are forcing an easing.

Thailand is currently receiving about a plane load of people a day, all tested, all passing through quarantine, but numerous daily cases are being identified (mostly during the quarantine period).

Enter the return of tourism……… Diseased people will still be arriving, but the safety barrier of quarantine will have gone. These people will be mingling with unvaccinated Thais – a recipe for absolute disaster.

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

caller wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:09 pm But in the current climate, what sort of Doctor would take the risk of attending a crowded concert in a minor Mall in the City?
According to NBT World, in the case of a doctor in Bangkok who tested positive:
A doctor from Rajavithi Hospital has tested positive for COVID-19 and is believed to have caught the virus from an night entertainment venue in Ekkamai area.

The hospital released a statement that a medical personnel working in the neurosurgery ward has been infected with COVID-19 and had a history of visiting night entertainment venues in Victory Monument and Ekkamai areas.
So I guess not all doctors are particularly cautious in this regard.