Garden Mulching of Plants

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Garden Mulching of Plants

Post by bigston »

We have an obsession in Aus of mulching absolutely everywhere in the garden,
well a lot of folks do, and yes there are significant benefits.
When we finally get to out New House over there i intend to do a lot of planting,
fruit trees, ornamentals, shrubs etc.
do people mulch their garden plants
if so what types of mulch are available
does the mulch attract any unwanted insects, vermin etc.
Thank You.
PeteC

Re: Garden Mulching of Plants

Post by PeteC »

I'm really at a loss as to what kind of mulch you can buy here. I don't recall really seeing any, except wood chips of some types. You can buy bags of good, black dirt, more like a potting soil, and mix that in with your normal garden dirt.

I mulch certain things at my place but I just use grass cuttings and mix them in with the dirt down about 2 inches. It rots and pumps a lot of nitrogen into the roots.

I've always played with the idea of composting, but simply haven't set it up, as things grow so easily here naturally with perhaps an application of granular fertilizer twice a year.

Good dirt is really the key. Most developments have s&%t dirt as they use junk fill sourced from who knows where. If I were buying a new place today, I would spend to scrape the land and bring in trucks of good, black top soil to give a foot + - depth. Expensive though. This country has good, rich dirt, but not naturally in the coastal regions.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Providing it’s not used fresh, there’s plenty availability of cow manure - normally 20-25 Baht a bag. If you can find horse manure that’s probably better, but not as widely available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I use grass cuttings and coconut husk on my garden. It helps the soil retain moisture and inhibits weed growth.

Regarding black soil like we're used to in the west, good luck on that. I've never been able to source it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, my partner takes care of the garden and most of the small garden centre places sell bags of coconut husk for mulch.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thanks for all the tips etc, we are down in Wang Pong a few Km inland from Racer Marina, up on the slopes where the pineapples are rampant
the soil is a lovely rich red, so by adding some manures etc,it should be a great growing medium
are planning to have a fairly large coverage of Zoysia ? grass, the dense wide leaf looking stuff, so the grass clippings will be well utilised,
just might need a bit more than the bagged product from the smaller garden centres
maybe Vanasom, the BIG ? plant place might also have some ideas.

thanks again.