University Shooting in Virginia USA!

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

It is said by many on these posts that , America is educated i for one do not think so , people seem to look up to America and put it on a pedestal .This country is not the stable and educated place that it is made to be by the movie industry , and they all dont go to school and off to Yale or Princeton until they are 25. Most do not get an education and good jobs like the wonderful people in the soap Beverly hills 90210 , my own children yoused to believe that rubbish. I would say that most Americans walking around in America have the same mentality as Mr. V. Chang and having these people dominating the world with their finger on the button is madness.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

gun control

Post by redzonerocker »

its always sad when innocent people lose their lives in this tragic way.
unfortunately it seems to become less & less surprising these days especially in the states where guns are far to easily accessible.
it has to be said that no amount of legislation could have prevented what happened in virginia, sad as it is.in this case it was an angry, crazy lunatic that showed no regard for human life.a coward that deserves to rot in hell, if it exists.
we have gun control laws in the uk but people are still getting shot & its on the increase daily.its becoming just as easy to get a gun here in the uk as it is in the states.the only difference is, it seems to be gang related for the control of criminal activities.innocent people have been caught in the crossfire which again is the tragedy.
the world is going crazy.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

redzonerocker wrote:
its becoming just as easy to get a gun here in the uk as it is in the states.
Did you see any of the publicity following the subject shooting? The media were camped out in gun supermarkets, where people were buying them over the counter. If they just wanted to vent their frustrations rather than buy, they could hire the weapon of their choice, go ut back and let loose.

Where in the UK can you do that?

I think you probably meant that they are easily obtained on the black market in the UK at an extortionate cost; but I can assure you, that is not as easy as getting a gun in the states.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

uk guns

Post by redzonerocker »

i agree big boy, nowhere near as easy as the usa but they are easily attainable in the major cities in the uk & not as expensive as you may think. drive by shootings in the uk were unthinkable 10 years ago but are starting to become part of the ever growing gang culture on our streets.
it will get worse make no mistake about that, the lucrative control of criminal activities being the cause.
the future is quite bleak in my opinion.
vincent chang
Banned
Banned

Hello from v.c.

Post by vincent chang »

It was kind of a coincidence that we started talking about gun control just when this happened in Virginia wasn't it? The American attitude is that if we outlawed the guns and took them away from the law abiding people, there would still be a subculture of people who break the law, and will have guns anyway, leaving all the guns to the outlaws. In other words , if we outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns. The only thing that keeps the bad guys from causing even more grief is the unknown vigilante dirty harry guy out there who might just decide to take justice into his own hands. One never knows. As far as placing blame, how about all the video game people? Have you ever walked into an internet cafe out here in Thailand and seen what these kids are playing? It seems these games desensitize people into thinking shooting a bunch of people is just some kind of video game. The photos of the shooter look like some kind of anime cartoon.
vincent chang
Banned
Banned

another thought from v.c.

Post by vincent chang »

The shooter was Korean American. I have been to colleges on the East Coast and There are a lot of Korean-American kids studying peacefully. The fact that this kid felt marginalized by his peer probably stems from his choice of majors. He was an English Major. Not too many asians major in English. If he had majored in Computer Science, Engineering, or Physics, or something, he would have been surrounded by an instant support group of nerdy asian guys. Notice he did not shoot up a physics lab or engineering school. He shot up a French Language Class full of white kids because he probably thought they were the rich kids that he felt were demonizing him. The American news has not brought up the race issue , to their credit, but Asian guys in America do tend to be marginalized to some extent in college and in their professional life. Also Korea, that is south korea, has this kind of love hate relationship with the usa. They love the usa for saving them from North Korea. but they also resent the fact that u.s. troops are based there on the 38th parallel. I had a friend who was asian and was an English major, he ended up as a school teacher and is now the vice principal. But that was in California, Not Virginia. It seems to me this kid was depressed because he could not get a date from the girl he liked, If he was in Thailand, I would have lent him 700 baht and sent him to the nearest lolitas. Problem solved.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Problem not solved just putting it of until the next time the answer is simple only the police and military should be allowed weapons and then only when on duty and when of duty the weapons should be held in an armoury that is guarded they should not be allowed home full stop
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

gun laws

Post by redzonerocker »

pros & cons for both arguments vincent & sargeant.
i think there will come a time when uk police will be fully armed. the continuing threat of terrorism & the increase of street crime & robberies will be the reason.at the moment there are only special units that are armed & are called out when firearms are reported at the scene.
unfortunately thats not a lot of use when the regular beat bobbies turn up to a robbery with a truncheon & whistle & the robbers are armed with guns!
as vincent says, if america outlawed guns for all its citizens it will just make it the easier for the criminals because they will still be armed no doubt.
the new knife laws & amnesty in the uk proved that. there is no easy solution except maybe a complete overhaul of the justice system, far longer sentences for violent crime would be a start.
again vincent, a good point on the video games.when companies are allowed to produce games that encourage killing & car crime(which is a uk favourite) it should come as no surprise that some kids try it out in reality.
back to the virginia shootings, the guy was simply mentally ill & a timebomb waiting to go off as is revealed by the history of the events building up the tragic event & the scatheing remarks made about him by his own family.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Agreed RNR but i still believe only the police and military should have access to guns i have also advocated for years that anyone found guilty of using a weapon of any sort (including imitations)in the commission of a crime should recieve the maximum sentance plus 15 years whatever that adds up to
I also believe that anyone caught in possession of an unlicenced firearm should do a substancial stretch inside
Just a small sarge aside it is friggin amazing to me that greedy pillocks with guns wiped out the buffallo from a continent in about 25 years and 100 years later they still want to go hunting as a right
whats left to shoot???it isnt buffalo they are an endangered species
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

sargeant wrote:guns wiped out the buffallo from a continent in about 25 years and 100 years later they still want to go hunting as a right,
whats left to shoot???
Sarges? :thumb: Pete :cheers:

PS: It's 2200 hours and you sound like you're drinking beer?
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

No pete no beer havent had a beer for 3 weeks longer than i havent had a fag
My ramblings on this gun control subject came to there zenith after Dunblane and have not changed
I also believe in capital punishment but have my INDIVIDUAL martian views on that subject as well
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I remember reading an article that stated that if you own a handgun in the US, statistically the person you are most likely to shoot with it is a member of your own family, which pretty much sums up the futility of the whole thing.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Absolutely Steve and yet they still in polls come up with 71% in favour of doing nothing and still have the audacity to go round the world telling others their way is best not for me it isnt thats for sure :cuss: :cuss: