Used bicycle wanted

Hua Hin classifieds has been reopened, please read the classifieds posting rules before you submit an ad.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Re: Used bicycle wanted

Post by Chazz14 »

Nimit Bike closed on the P/kasem a couple of year ago. They relocated to the Puu Wai road which heads inland from the P/kasem opposite Tesco Lotus + 7-11 at Baan Kwai . Their new bike selection has reduced, but they still do repairs. N.B. Talk to the helpful lady who speaks good English...
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

migrant wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:49 pm
hhinner wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:22 pm
Dannie Boy wrote:
I’d guess that it’s about 2kms past the Sheraton on the right and the FN outlet on the left - same side as the FN outlet
Is it still there? If I remember rightly it was called Nimit Bike, a few hundred meters before Rama 6 camp (going north). Used to sell Chevrolet bikes. I remember it because I looked there when I bought a bike 7 years ago (not from there though). I don't recall seeing it recently.
I imagine it's the shop you are talking about but went by it today. Can't miss it with all the bikes out front.
Yes they are two different shops - Nimit Bike closed 2 or 3 years ago and this one is as far as I know completely different - it’s a big yellow building and as Migrant said, difficult to miss
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Chazz14 wrote:Nimit Bike closed on the P/kasem a couple of year ago. They relocated to the Puu Wai road which heads inland from the P/kasem opposite Tesco Lotus + 7-11 at Baan Kwai . Their new bike selection has reduced, but they still do repairs. N.B. Talk to the helpful lady who speaks good English...
I did just that! Just called the nice lady.

I went looking for it on google maps and without even searching for name there it was!

But she only has one bike which would fit me...

So may get up there to visit plus the other yellow shop(near sheraton)

Now that I went to Velo yesterday, I assume that covers pretty much all bike retailers in HH/Cha Am.

Thanks all

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am
Chazz14 wrote:Nimit Bike closed on the P/kasem a couple of year ago. They relocated to the Puu Wai road which heads inland from the P/kasem opposite Tesco Lotus + 7-11 at Baan Kwai . Their new bike selection has reduced, but they still do repairs. N.B. Talk to the helpful lady who speaks good English...

I went looking for it on google maps and without even searching for name there it was!

Now that I went to Velo yesterday, I assume that covers pretty much all bike retailers in HH/Cha Am.

Thanks all

The yellow shop is called Evo Bikes and it’s exactly 3 Km’s past the FN store
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I bought a 'Twitter' brand taiwanese mtb, aluminium frame, 27.5" wheels 24 speed Shimano gearset and disc brakes new around 2 years ago for just under 7,000 baht. Usual price 10,000+. And more recently a 'Richter' apparently from the same manufacturer, 27.5" wheels 30 speed L-twoo gearset, hydraulic disc brakes, aluminium frame for just over 5,000 baht. Granted I'm over in Nongyai, Chonburi, but this post is just to say go and look for yourself, many cheap yet decent mtbs can be bought new for not a lot of money.
วินเชนท์
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

VincentD wrote:I bought a 'Twitter' brand taiwanese mtb, aluminium frame, 27.5" wheels 24 speed Shimano gearset and disc brakes new around 2 years ago for just under 7,000 baht. Usual price 10,000+. And more recently a 'Richter' apparently from the same manufacturer, 27.5" wheels 30 speed L-twoo gearset, hydraulic disc brakes, aluminium frame for just over 5,000 baht. Granted I'm over in Nongyai, Chonburi, but this post is just to say go and look for yourself, many cheap yet decent mtbs can be bought new for not a lot of money.
They both sound like they would suit me well

Trust me I've looked and I will continue to do so

It comes down to 3 things for me, probably in this order of importance...

1. Cost(admit my budget is smaller than normal as don't know how long I'll be here)
2. Fit(frame size, wheels)
3. Looks - as long as I don't dislike the look then it's ok, I don't have to love it!

Found 2 bikes that tick 2 of those boxes, but not 3... yet!

Gabe H Coud

Post by Gabe H Coud »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:20 pm
thecolonel wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks all

The yellow shop is called Evo Bikes and it’s exactly 3 Km’s past the FN store
Cool. I guess its about half way between the FN and the left turn for Nimit
Incidentally I went on facebook for Evo, thought I found it as it was large yellow building in photos but directions said it was about 10km inland!
Anyway I'm ignoring that and looking out on the main drag
Going today fingers crossed
cheers
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

thecolonel wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:45 pm They both sound like they would suit me well

Trust me I've looked and I will continue to do so

It comes down to 3 things for me, probably in this order of importance...

1. Cost(admit my budget is smaller than normal as don't know how long I'll be here)
2. Fit(frame size, wheels)
3. Looks - as long as I don't dislike the look then it's ok, I don't have to love it!

Found 2 bikes that tick 2 of those boxes, but not 3... yet!

Admittedly I did change the seats on both to one with a built-in gel pad and quite a bit wider than the standard seat that comes with the bikes. I bought the bike for exercise and riding around the neighborhood at a leisurely pace, not all out trail riding.
วินเชนท์
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Gabe, after FN and the Army Camp u-turn keep going until you pass the large temple on your left side. Evo is shortly after also on the left just before the next u-turn.

There is also a large second-hand shop very nearby which has had bikes outside in the past.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

So did you find anything suitable at Evo?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:58 pm So did you find anything suitable at Evo?
trip delayed by last weeks rains, followed by illness
will update asap, thanks
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:58 pm So did you find anything suitable at Evo?
trip delayed by last weeks rains, followed by illness
will update asap, thanks
If it’s not too late, if you see a bike that you like don’t forget to ask for a discount - can’t quite remember how much discount I got, but I definitely didn’t pay the first asking price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:So did you find anything suitable at Evo?
Update on my bike saga.

I bought a bike last Sunday at Evo in Cha Am.... Hurrah!

The only problem is.... it's crap!

I really liked the look of the bike and it was in my budget of 7k ish. The truth is it was a little too much within my budget as the asking price was 3990 and I got it for 3700. I was genuinely concerned that it may be too cheap but I still bought it.

I test rode a little bit but its difficult at Evo as its like testing on the side of the M25 at rush hour. Gears weren't great(slipping) so he adjusted and I took it away

Within 24 hours I had regretted my purchase.

*The kick stand literally fell apart after about 6 uses and would drop down during riding making it dangerous(he has said he will replace it but that's another return taxi to cha am!)

*The disc brakes are sh@t especially the back one. And they're noisy on occasions too(seriously, what is the freaking point of disc brakes on bikes? What's wrong with good ole rubber blocks?)

*There is a constant 'ticking' sound coming from the rear wheel(disc brake?)

*The handle bars were not on straight(now sorted)

*The gear changing continues to be rough, slow and jumps 3 gears not one.

If I had my time again I would trust my instincts that it was too cheap. And I would look to spend a bit more on better components(gears, brakes) And I would try to avoid disc brakes but that might be impossible now??

As my late Mother used to say.... "buy cheaply, buy twice!"

Despite all my research I still managed to blaze it over the bar from 6 yards out!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:54 pm
Dannie Boy wrote:So did you find anything suitable at Evo?
Update on my bike saga.

I bought a bike last Sunday at Evo in Cha Am.... Hurrah!

The only problem is.... it's crap!
:lach: - I'm sorry, but that did make me laugh...... Pretty sure the majority of us have been through the same, if not with bikes!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.