The Humble Beans on Toast

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: The Humble Beans on Toast

Post by VincentD »

If you're referring to the pork 'n' beans that have those tiny sausages, I love those. As for plain canned baked beans, Heinz was a staple, but when back in Singapore, we also used to get Ayam brand (means chicken in Malay) and that has been around for ages. I have seen this in Foodland and intend picking up a can or two. It's pretty good imo. Our variation was to get Wall's sausages, cut them in bits and fry them before dunking them in the baked beans and heating the lot.
วินเชนท์
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Having lived in many places where you couldn't get good tinned baked beans, I make them from tinned beans without sauce, tomato puree, Italian herb mix and dried chilli seeds.
I use any type of tinned bean available if they don't have white beans, they all taste similar in the sauce.
A hotel chef told me how to do this when I asked where they got their beans from.
After eating this for years, I now find all the commercial brands to be ridiculously sweet so I now prefer my own version.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

While beans on toast is always an easy cure for a rumbling tummy my favourite is the Cheese Beano. Posh beans on toast even if it is only spam being used.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Essential that beans are not chucked on toast straight away thus leaving soggy mess. Toast should be cooled so that retains a crunch. Then butter and beans. Branston or Heinz is irrelevent compared to mushy toast. Lol
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Whilst working in the DROC a few years back, there was a regular schedule (visa runs) where guys filled luggage with 5-10 x 2.5Kg cans of Heinz Baked Beans (and some Heinz Soup) to bring back to the site camp - apparently made a good amount of money!! Being a mine site, alcohol was a no-no and as we were way out, the "niceties" were hard to come by. I'm a Heinz man through and through after those days...... I'll let the LHG make her version, but don't think I'll change!! :thumb: :D

Interesting to see the recipes though!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

The taste, as mentioned, varies to the individual. My favorite, B&M baked beans, made in Maine since 1867 or so is my favorite, but not available here, I like the campbells second but they seem to have disappeared locally. Tried the Bransons and was not impressed so will go to the Bush's.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was always a Heinz man, and like DM says, would not be tempted by anything else on the supermarket shelf when living in the UK. I used to work away a lot, and many hotel breakfasts were ruined by non-Heinz beans. I guess my taste buds have matured with old age - after many spoiled breakfasts featuring UK style beans, I feel exactly the same about Thai beans now
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Beans are not a part of a standard american breakfast but in Maine, when hunting season opens, beans appear. Guess the hunters, of which there are many in Maine, need the extra protein.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well all the above show that we are all very different in our preferences.
Wouldn't have it any other way. Otherwise we'd be Chinese!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:38 pm I was always a Heinz man, and like DM says, would not be tempted by anything else on the supermarket shelf when living in the UK. I used to work away a lot, and many hotel breakfasts were ruined by non-Heinz beans. I guess my taste buds have matured with old age - after many spoiled breakfasts featuring UK style beans, I feel exactly the same about Thai beans now

When you say Thai Baked Beans are you referring to the Ayam brand?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Ayam brand originated in Singapore.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:24 pm
Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:38 pm I was always a Heinz man, and like DM says, would not be tempted by anything else on the supermarket shelf when living in the UK. I used to work away a lot, and many hotel breakfasts were ruined by non-Heinz beans. I guess my taste buds have matured with old age - after many spoiled breakfasts featuring UK style beans, I feel exactly the same about Thai beans now

When you say Thai Baked Beans are you referring to the Ayam brand?
Correct
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I always thought Ayam was Malaysian but just looked at a can of beans - made in Vietnam.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Wiki says it's a Singaporean multi-national company so obviously have subsidiaries across Asia.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Beware, Beans Will Kill Your Dreams....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.