Man insults King - Man now in jail

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

No need for apologies!

:cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This happened sooner than I thought. I thought the King's birthday in December. Pete

BANGKOK, Thailand - Thailand has pardoned a Swiss man who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for defacing an image of the country's revered king, law enforcement officials said Thursday.

Oliver Rudolf Jufer, 57, was the first foreigner convicted in at least a decade under strict Thai laws protecting the monarchy. He pleaded guilty in March to five counts of lese majest, or insulting the monarchy and had faced a maximum of 75 years in prison.

Police and prison officials in Chiang Mai confirmed Jufer had been transferred Wednesday to a police station in Chiang Mai awaiting his deportation. They could not say when he would be deported.

"The king in his kindness has granted him a pardon and he has been transferred from prison and is in the process of being deported from the country," Chiang Mai Police Col. Prachuab Wongsuk told The Associated Press.
nevets
Guru
Guru

THAI/UK JAIL TIME

Post by nevets »

In the BBC documentary it said that when jailed in Thailand one has to serve half the sentence before being allowed to serve the other half in the UK. This was said by the young man i think from Manchester he got i think 60 yrs for smuggling meth tabs in to Thailand to pay fore his stay here now ,he gets 1000baht a month from prisoners abroad org.
lomuamart

Re: THAI/UK JAIL TIME

Post by lomuamart »

nevets wrote:In the BBC documentary it said that when jailed in Thailand one has to serve half the sentence before being allowed to serve the other half in the UK. This was said by the young man i think from Manchester he got i think 60 yrs for smuggling meth tabs in to Thailand to pay fore his stay here now ,he gets 1000baht a month from prisoners abroad org.
That's right. I've got a copy of the BBC documentary on Bang Kwang here. The other, older English chap who they focussed on, was complaining that Americans got out of Bang Kwang after 7 or 8 years, served a couple back home and then were released. It's a prisoner exchange programme, that the UK dosn't have with Thailand.
That young chap from Bury was caught with ecstacy, not meth (not that it makes any difference, BTW), and is serving 99 years (I think). If you look at the Bang Kwang website, it lists all the foreign prisoners in there and which wing they're in. His name is Michael Connell.
Onlyme
Professional
Professional

Post by Onlyme »

When he gets back to Switzerland all he needs to do is.....Change his name to Oliver Rudolf Fujer and he will be back in the Kingdom in the blink of an eye! :wink:
¼Ã
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

disrespect to the king

Post by redzonerocker »

i think if he gets ten years, he deserves what he gets.
he should know better after being in thai for 10 years. he has shown total disrespect to the nation as a whole.some people may pass off what he did as a drunken prank but it was unacceptable.
i have only spent a short time in thailand but i did take on board their pride & adulation of the king & i quite admire that even though i am not a uk royalist.
the king of thailand is idolised in his kingdom & that should be respected by all visitors alike.
as for the drug dealers, they get what they deserve. maybe equally harsh sentences need to be applied worldwide.
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

He has gone back to Switzerland with a pardon from the king , keep up.