Win a UK Cottage for a Fiver....

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
pharvey

Win a UK Cottage for a Fiver....

Post by pharvey »

This type of raffle seems to be getting popular in the UK. These guys are putting up a £290,000 K cottage for raffle at £5 per ticket - they have set (and passed) a minimum for ticket sales at 80,000, so have already achieved sales of + £400 K. Could well be the way forward to sell a house!!

https://www.cwellyndream.com/home?ref=d ... 001914083c

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Win a UK Cottage for a Fiver....

Post by dtaai-maai »

It looks delightful!

Erm, one question before I buy my ticket. I see it's in Wales - it's not next door to you by any chance, is it? :duck: :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:08 pm It looks delightful!

Erm, one question before I buy my ticket. I see it's in Wales - it's not next door to you by any chance, is it? :duck: :laugh:
You're OK, it's a little way north from me...... :neener:

[EDIT] Of course you'll invite the LHG and myself for a BBQ should you win? :D
Last edited by pharvey on Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I wonder how the tax authorities will look at something like that? It's basically winnings from gambling and they may base tax on the assessment value of the house, that the winner will have to pay..... and the normal proceeds from sale (capital gains) that the seller will have to pay.

Could be a bit of a can o' worms.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:25 pm I wonder how the tax authorities will look at something like that? It's basically winnings from gambling and they may base tax on the assessment value of the house, that the winner will have to pay..... and the normal proceeds from sale (capital gains) that the seller will have to pay.

Could be a bit of a can o' worms.
Good point - don't know whether it would be classed as "capital gains" (for either party). Lotto (gambling) winners in the UK at least receive their winnings "Tax Free", so possibly the same here. This couple are also giving "some" of the proceeds to charity, so I would assume that would work in their favour with regards to tax (?).

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

When Migrant appears he may be able to indicate how the USA would treat it, just as a general guide. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:36 pm When Migrant appears he may be able to indicate how the USA would treat it, just as a general guide. :cheers:
Out of interest, looked at the T's & C's: -

"“Prize”: The Prize is Cwellyn Cottage, Rhoslan, Criccieth LL52 0NB, a freehold detached stone cottage. All UK taxes including stamp duty will be covered by the promoter. The winner’s conveyance fees up to and including £1500 + VAT, will also be paid for by the Promoter. The Winner may choose their own conveyancy solicitor. The property is mortgage free, and will be furnished minus artwork and personal items."

"“Question”: The Question that each Entrant must correctly answer in order to have the opportunity to win the prize (in accordance with the Gambling Commission’s Rules and Guidelines regarding Skilled Prize Competitions). The website randomly generates a question from a selection set by the Promoters. The Promoter sets the questions and determines the correct answers."

Perhaps the "Skilled Prize Competitions" mentioned above is a loophole(?).

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

In the US people do this quite a bit; it's called an auction.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:36 pm When Migrant appears he may be able to indicate how the USA would treat it, just as a general guide. :cheers:
This type of raffle is getting more common in the states too with a house as the prize. Usually there is also a cash option.

Taxes are owed on it so usually there is small print somewhere in the raffle papers saying if you win you will be able to pay the tax.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:09 pm In the US people do this quite a bit; it's called an auction.
A little different here. We used to enter a raffle like this, tickets $50 with the grand prize a house valued around 3,000,000. So if your lucky you could get the house for a single ticket (and taxes of course)
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

migrant wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:21 pm
handdrummer wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:09 pm In the US people do this quite a bit; it's called an auction.
A little different here. We used to enter a raffle like this, tickets $50 with the grand prize a house valued around 3,000,000. So if your lucky you could get the house for a single ticket (and taxes of course)
I'd be willing to pay the taxes for a 3 mil. house.
Also, I made a mistake, in the US it's also called a raffle. It's not based on bidding. Some days.........
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Here we go:
HMRC state that, for raffled homes, Capital Gains Tax is based on the open market value on the date of attaining the property. This means that if the winner of the property raffle was to sell their current house immediately there would likely be no Capital Gains Tax to pay.