TV programs being lost due to 'Black Lives Matter' protests.

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

TV programs being lost due to 'Black Lives Matter' protests.

Post by HHTel »

In light of the Black Lives Matter movement and conversations speaking out against racism hitting the mainstream, broadcasters are now reflecting on their TV content, with many shows recently being removed from streaming platforms after being deemed offensive. According to The Guardian, UKTV – a BBC-owned streaming service – has removed an episode of Fawlty Towers famous for John Cleese’s character Basil Fawlty shouting ‘don’t mention the war’ throughout. The classic comedy aired back in the 1970s and is still popular with fans today, but the episode in question is no longer available and UKTV haven’t specified why the platform has decided to remove it. ‘We aren’t commenting on individual titles. However, we regularly review our programmes, and make edits, add warnings and make schedule changes where necessary to ensure that our channels meet the expectations of our audience,’ a spokesperson for UKTV told the publication. The episode, titled The Germans, sees Basil Fawlty making comments about the second world war to a German family.

It also shows a guest at the hotel using racist language in relation to the West Indies cricket team and in one scene, Basil seems shocked at being treated by a black doctor in hospital.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/11/fawlty-t ... n%20family.

Mmm. Favourite shows in the past 'Love thy Neighbour', 'Till Death us do Part', and many more which could finish up in the bin. Such a shame.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: TV programs being lost due to 'Black Lives Matter' protests.

Post by sateeb »

It's crap decisions like this that empowers right wing fascism, don't the programmers realise that the viewer has a choice, watch or don't watch.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I love the way they are saying they are 'meeting the expectations of our audience'. So one day it's okay, then a form of mass hysteria takes place and suddenly it's not okay. Don't these places talk a load of bollox! I hope lots cancel their subscription. I would. I don't want to be dictated to by a bunch of hypocrites about what I can and cannot watch.
Talk is cheap
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Fawlty Towers: John Cleese attacks 'cowardly' BBC over episode's removal

John Cleese has laid into the "cowardly and gutless" BBC after an episode of Fawlty Towers was temporarily removed from a BBC-owned streaming platform.

A 1975 episode titled The Germans was taken off UKTV's streaming service because it contains "racial slurs".

In it, the Major uses highly offensive language, and Cleese's Basil Fawlty declares "don't mention the war".

UKTV said it expected to reinstate the show with "extra guidance" in "the coming days".

Cleese wrote on Twitter: "The BBC is now run by a mixture of marketing people and petty bureaucrats."

He added: "I would have hoped that someone at the BBC would understand that there are two ways of making fun of human behaviour.

"One is to attack it directly. The other is to have someone who is patently a figure of fun, speak up on behalf of that behaviour."
He went on to compare the situation with that of Alf Garnett, the racist character in sitcoms Till Death Us Do Part and In Sickness and in Health.

"We laughed at Alf's reactionary views. Thus we discredited them, by laughing at him," Cleese wrote.

"Of course, there were people - very stupid people - who said 'Thank God someone is saying these things at last'. We laughed at these people too. Now they're taking decisions about BBC comedy."

He continued: "But it's not just stupidity. The BBC is now run by a mixture of marketing people and petty bureaucrats. It used to have a large sprinkling of people who'd actually made programmes. Not any more.

"So BBC decisions are made by persons whose main concern is not losing their jobs... That's why they're so cowardly and gutless and contemptible. I rest my case."

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53020335

Cleese points out that the Beeb is run by people who probably have "silly walks"... :laugh: :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've just watched 'Love thy Neighbour' the movie. Haven't seen it since it's release in 1973.

Very funny. However, I doubt whether you could get a 5 minute clip from anywhere in the movie that could be shown today. Racist but very funny. As it goes, the 'white honky' always gets the short straw in the movie. Well worth a watch.