Shock Absorbers--who's in the know?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Shock Absorbers--who's in the know?

Post by thecolonel »

My regular taxi lady needs new shock absorbers I reckon, as they absorb absolutely nothing and are giving me a bad back!

Please advise(by PM if necessary) where we can go and get prices preferably for upgraded ones versus the originals. She lives near Baan Khun Por so preferably somewhere local to there

I see they're available on Lazada but I really don't know what I'm looking at

Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Shock Absorbers--who's in the know?

Post by huahin4ever »

thecolonel wrote:My regular taxi lady needs new shock absorbers I reckon, as they absorb absolutely nothing and are giving me a bad back!

Please advise(by PM if necessary) where we can go and get prices preferably for upgraded ones versus the originals. She lives near Baan Khun Por so preferably somewhere local to there

Thanks

Car brand, model and make would be helpful Image
YNWA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Most repair shops who can fit new shock absorbers should be able to deal with all the popular vehicles, so any recommendation should be fine.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Try Cockpit and Bquick. Both should be able to help.

Cockpit:
Cockpit
8 10-14 Hua Hin 54/1 Alley, Tambon Hua Hin, Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110
032 511 207
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CmDbwwetXpwrcBgz5

B-Quick:
B-Quik Huahin
253 ซอย 27-29 Hua Hin, Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110
032 522 992
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ds7A9fASvmMmhpfZ6
YNWA
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

You could try this place too:

บริษัท ทวีศักดิ์ออโต้เซอร์วิส จำกัด
1/10 ถ.หัวหิน-หนองพลับ, Hua Hin, Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110
032 900 200
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7BUtgRzt5XD1CKsbA
YNWA
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

huahin4ever wrote:
thecolonel wrote:My regular taxi lady needs new shock absorbers I reckon, as they absorb absolutely nothing and are giving me a bad back!

Thanks

Car brand, model and make would be helpful Image
Toyota Avanza

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

What makes you think the problem is just the "shock absorbers"? There are many other components in the suspension system that could be worn out, such as rubber bushes, coil springs etc. I believe the rear suspension on those cars use a "trailing arm", so there are many other parts.

Take it to "L" Garage opposite the Palace just before the traffic lights heading north and ask K. Pichai to check it over first. He speaks good English and will not rip you off.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Cockpit would probably be the best place to get it checked. They have proper ramps/jacks and are very good at spotting rubber bits that have expired in the suspension, axles, etc. English ok. Prices good. Also normally immediate - no waiting around.

I have experience on my cars.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Nereus wrote:What makes you think the problem is just the "shock absorbers"? There are many other components in the suspension system that could be worn out, such as rubber bushes, coil springs etc. I believe the rear suspension on those cars use a "trailing arm", so there are many other parts.

Take it to "L" Garage opposite the Palace just before the traffic lights heading north and ask K. Pichai to check it over first. He speaks good English and will not rip you off.
I don't. I was just generalising in order to get some recommendations as to where to go to investigate issue.

The ride is so freaking uncomfortable I just can't believe that's how the car is supposed to be!!

By extraordinary coincidence the place you recommend is the only place I would have thought of going to had I not posted this.

We drive past it on way to golf and I was once told about it by a different taxi driver years ago. So yes now you've said that too I'm going to give it a try for sure thanks for that. Just thought there may have been somewhere closer that's all

Will also try this cockpit place

Thanks all

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

By what you describe, the shock absorbers are almost certainly a problem, but as Nereus has mentioned, there could be associated issues that also need investigation - please post how you get on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Nereus wrote:What makes you think the problem is just the "shock absorbers"? There are many other components in the suspension system that could be worn out, such as rubber bushes, coil springs etc. I believe the rear suspension on those cars use a "trailing arm", so there are many other parts.

To be clear.....

Is it the one nearest the traffic lights(but still south of) and has a BMW sign?

Because there's another auto shop about 200m further South of that one again on same side....

so keen to check which one.

Thanks

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Is it the one nearest the traffic lights(but still south of) and has a BMW sign?
Yes, that one. I think he may also have a Mobil Oil sign, have not noticed a BMW sign.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

It's the one with the BMW sign. Don't bother with the other one, waste of space.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.