Coronavirus Precautions/News/Updates for Hua Hin/Prachuap

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Wuhan Virus Precautions

Post by HHTel »

Zidane wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:07 pm They are saying that the virus can be transmitted through the eyes making masks pretty useless.
A top Chinese surgeon who took part in the fight against SARS in 2003 contracted the Coronavirus despite wearing high quality surgical masks.
He got an eye infection and it was during tests for this it was discovered he had got the virus.
He says that it is more or less certain that the virus was transferred through the eyes.
So add protective glasses to the list of precautions then ?
Yeh, that's been known for a while. Many of the appeals that are around are for masks and goggles.
Health experts say that for the average person, the masks are not as effective as everyday measures like hand-washing and avoiding close contact with anyone who might be infected.

There are two common kinds: surgical masks and N95 respirators.

N95 respirators filter out most airborne particles from the surrounding air, preventing wearers from breathing in particles down to 0.3 microns in diameter. These types of masks are often used when air quality is poor due to wildfire smoke or pollution, and they're designed to be tightly fitted. However, the coronavirus is 0.12 microns in diameter.

Surgical masks, meanwhile, are designed to keep large particle droplets and splatter from passing from a person's mouth to nearby surfaces or people. They're meant to keep healthcare providers from spreading their own mouth-borne germs to patients.
It would appear on the face of it that masks are pretty useless except used by people that already have the virus!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I was at Bkk hospital this morning and all the medical and reception staff were wearing masks, But I would say 50% of visitors on the ground floor weren't. Also saw a farang Doctor, which was a surprise, no mandatory white coat, but collared shirt, tie and stethoscope around his neck, so I'm assuming he was a quack, he looked the part - and not wearing a mask either. Disappeared upstairs via the steps rather than wait for a lift.

Bluport late yesterday afternoon was also very quiet, more so than normal. I tried to buy a mask, but all sold out, so having some sent from Bangkok. Made in Japan apparently?
Talk is cheap
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Also saw a farang Doctor, which was a surprise, no mandatory white coat, but collared shirt, tie and stethoscope around his neck, so I'm assuming he was a quack
Don't jump to bad conclusions.. It's not unknown for retired western doctors resident in this part of the world to do some pro bono work. He may well be a fully qualified doctor working for free..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

uncle tom wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:25 pmDon't jump to bad conclusions.. It's not unknown for retired western doctors resident in this part of the world to do some pro bono work. He may well be a fully qualified doctor working for free..
I wasn't jumping to bad conclusions, just a bit of light jesting using 'quack'.

Go to the big hospitals in Bangkok, such as Bumrungrad, and you will see many western doctors. There is even a Finnish paramedic working at Bkk hospital in Korat - I know as I met him when his English language skills were needed.

But it's the first time I have personally seen a Western Doctor in Hua Hin, although a Thai female Doctor who once treated me has the family name of McAlpine!
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

although a Thai female Doctor who once treated me has the family name of McAlpine!
I guess she was married to a Scot. Nah. Much too easy!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Way off topic, unless the hospital has called in a Farang doctor connected with the current problem. But for those that have short memories there was an English doctor involved with the start up of Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin. He was a regular poster on here for some time.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that was Dr Mike, but he wasn't allowed to practice medicine in Thailand. His role was consultancy only.

I'm happy my initial questions have been well answered. I've no problem with the topic going a little of topic now.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

So I'll be avoiding the lifts in market village now that BB is using his walking stick to push the buttons. No way of knowing what that stick's been in. :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:56 pm Yes, that was Dr Mike, but he wasn't allowed to practice medicine in Thailand. His role was consultancy only.
Officially, that is. I'm sure if an opinion was sought.....
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

DO MASKS OFFER PROTECTION FROM NEW VIRUS? IT DEPENDS
People around the world are buying up protective face masks in hopes of keeping the new virus from China at bay. Some companies have required them for employees. Schools in South Korea have told parents to equip their children with masks and hand sanitizer when they return from winter vacation.

But do the masks work? It depends.

All viruses are small enough to get through a typical strap-on medical mask, but the germs don’t generally spread through the air one at a time, said Dr. Mark Denison of Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. Denison studies SARS and MERS, which are coronaviruses, the same family as the new virus.

Instead, viruses ride from person to person on droplets from a sneeze or cough. Those droplets land on hands and other surfaces, where they are touched by others, who then touch their own eyes, noses or mouths.

Masks can block large droplets from a sneeze or cough. That means they have some value, Denison said.

Also, someone in a mask can’t touch their own nose and mouth. That can prevent the wearer from picking up germs left on surfaces by someone who is sick, he said.

Masks are “a very sensible precaution” while scientists work to study exactly how the new virus is transmitted, said University of Oxford researcher Trudie Lang.

None of this, however, is based on rigorous research. Nobody has compared groups of masked and unmasked people by exposing them to the new germ, Denison said. A 2017 review of studies in health care workers suggested masks offer some protection against SARS, but the authors noted “existing evidence is sparse and findings are inconsistent.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/inte ... t-depends/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As an example, the below is what International Schools are doing. This is only for one specific school, but they are part of a network and my understanding that all or most in Thailand are doing the same. The risk may actually be higher with International schools as parents and relatives come and go from foreign countries more so than families of Thai school students...IMO. It is good to see that these institutions are being proactive and hopefully all schools in the country, Thai or International, are doing the same:

"Dear Parents and Carers,

I am writing to update you regarding GIS’s response to the coronavirus outbreak. We are continuing to liaise very closely with ISAT, FOBISIA, other schools and the relevant Thai authorities, as well as monitoring announcements from the WHO, and using all this information to develop a cautious, vigilant yet pragmatic approach that is appropriate to our context.

For next week, school will continue to operate as normal, with us putting in place additional precautions relating to:

· Increased handwashing and use of hand gel;

· Additional rigorous cleaning, particularly in areas of high hand-touch such as doors/handles, desks, mice, keyboards etc;

· Careful monitoring for symptoms amongst students and staff;

· Monitoring and limiting visitors to the school;

· Sending children and staff home immediately if they display any of the symptoms associated with this disease. If your child is unwell, please do not send them to school;

· Paper masks – whilst there is little evidence that paper masks provide any real protection, as they fit poorly and filter very little, there is evidence that they actually help to spread infection when taken on and off and placed on desks, so please do not send your child to school in a paper mask;

· N95, N99 or P95 masks – if you wish your child to wear a mask to school next week, then please send them in wearing one of these higher quality masks. The best ones have a 'CV' rating - C (activated carbon) and V (valve). Such masks should be close fitting or their effectiveness is significantly reduced. If children come to school in a mask they must wear it for the whole day to avoid spreading the collected germs when it is taken on and off. (They will need to take it off for eating and drinking, when it must be stored directly in their bag, NOT placed on their desk/table which will spread germs further);

· Trips and events – we will make a decision on each trip and event planned on a case by case basis, depending on location, contact with the general public, and other pertinent factors. The staff leading affected trips and events will contact you directly should a trip be cancelled or postponed, and we apologise in advance for possible late notifications of these decisions.

As I have said previously, please try not to worry – rumours are rife and, as usual, the media is not helping the situation. Thus far, those worst affected have all been elderly, and the risk to healthy young people in this area is very small indeed. Should the situation change over the weekend, we will of course advise you further."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The most sensible advice I've seen to date. I wonder if that came from a Thai.
Glad someone has taken on board the fact that these cheap masks can do more harm than good. I read an article that states the these masks will become moist with use giving the perfect breeding ground for a virus. Surgical (paper) masks used in hospitals are to prevent the spread of germs from the wearer and are used once then disposed of.
It appears that all these people wearing such masks are actually increasing the danger.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:46 pm None of this, however, is based on rigorous research. Nobody has compared groups of masked and unmasked people by exposing them to the new germ, Denison said.
That may be true if you're talking about this new coronavirus but it's not true for airborne viruses in general.

A number of studies have looked at whether face masks are of any use in preventing infection from viruses such as flu and SARS, that spread the same way as the new coronavirus, in aerosol form via coughing and sneezing.

One comparison in an article in healthline.com, of three studies that looked at whether wearing masks would protect uninfected people, found that wearing masks could reduce infection rates by 70 - 80%, but only when combined with proper hand hygiene (frequent washing of hands for at least 20 seconds).
For example, one such study was conducted by a team of researchers from the University of Michigan on more than 1,000 students living in residence halls. They assigned the student to groups: those who wore masks, those who wore masks and practiced hand hygiene, and those who did neither. The results showed that those who wore masks in residence halls and practiced good handwashing reduced their risk of flu-like illness by an astonishing 75 percent.
https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/mask#2

Another paper on PubMed looked at the results of 9 studies into the use of face masks, in 8 of which facemasks were used for respiratory protection of well people.

The overall finding was once again, that masks were of some use in preventing infection though actual results varied.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't know if wearing a mask helps or not. However, my awareness of what is going on around me has been greatly enhanced. I was in Tesco this morning, and spotted a few unmasked people coughing and sneezing, without covering their mouths. I thought a mask would have contained the vapour. As it was, my mask would have stopped any vapour entering through my mouth or nose. Of course, eyes were exposed. It made me feel better, whether it actually helped or not.

Points 48; Position 20