Indian tourists flooding into Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Indian tourists flooding into Thailand

Post by buksida »

We have a Chinese tourist thread, now its time for an Indian one.

Indian tourist numbers to Thailand steadily climbing
The number of Indian tourists coming to Thailand has doubled over the past five years and continues to grow by an average of 15 per cent annually according to a survey conducted by Bank of Thailand researchers Nutchanart Kuprasert and Jidapha Chuayphan.

Contributing factors include an overall increase in Indians travelling overseas as evidenced by 10 million new passports being issued annually. Thailand is a popular choice for first-time tourists as distances are short and travel is easy thanks to some 3,000 direct flights now being offered by various carriers between both main and secondary destinations including to Phuket plus the introduction of visa on arrival (VOA). But can the number of Indian tourists in Thailand expand to overtake Chinese tourists?

The study indicates that this is unlikely in the near future. Projections for the next 10 years show that some 21 million Chinese tourists will visit Thailand compared to 14 million Indian nationals. However, in terms of spending, Indian tourists are similar to Chinese and able to travel to Thailand all year round, even during the low season.

Popular destinations are listed as Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin and Chiang Mai. In addition, information from tour operators in Thailand reveals that Indian tourists are not as sensitive as Chinese tourists to unexpected events. Generally speaking, if the trip has been planned in advance, they will not change plans or cancel travel.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377478

Thailand reaching higher ... they'll be running promo campaigns in Chad next.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Indian tourists flooding into Thailand

Post by europtimiste »

Knowing them, I doubt they will spend as EU tourists...555
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

First China, now India, Thailand sure knows how to pick the revenue generating tourists
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

migrant wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:18 pm First China, now India, Thailand sure knows how to pick the revenue generating tourists
I don't think that Thailand "picks" them, they pick Thailand.
buksida

Post by buksida »

TAT aims to steer Indian visitors to up-and-coming destinations
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) plans to spice up demand in the Indian market by adding the fresh taste of new destinations in the western and northeastern regions.

To make hay while the sun shines, as some Indian travellers opt for excursions far away from the Mideast, the agency will introduce a new range of tourism products linking major cities with lesser-known destinations.

Those targeted areas, led by Kanchanaburi in the west and Khao Yai in the Pak Chong district of Nakhon Ratchasima, have abundant natural resources, especially fresh air, said Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, the TAT's deputy governor of marketing for Asia and South Pacific.

Mr Chattan said Indian tourists nowadays are keen to experience other cities, which is made possible by the ability to communicate in English and use smartphones avidly.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... stinations
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Some decent Indian food would certainly help never had a decent Indian ruby Murray in Thailand .
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I suppose that the Indians from the big cities just might experience a better quality of air here? Or is the selling point?

Our bad air isn't as bad as yours.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Last night I saw a girl in Bintabaht try to entice an Indian guy into her bar.

A girl near me shook her head and said: 'she's new'
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Some decent Indian food would certainly help never had a decent Indian ruby Murray in Thailand . Quote Stretch

Are you comparing Indian curries available in the UK as to the curies available here in HH. S&S and Shiva spring to mind.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

:offtopic: This thread is about tourism demographics, here is the one on Indian food in Hua Hin: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24605
buksida

Post by buksida »

Kanchanaburi, Phuket turn to luring Indian subgroups
Local operators are pinning their hopes on Indian travellers to offset dependence on the Chinese market.

Thailand welcomed 11 million Chinese tourists in 2019, six times more than India's projection of 1.9 million. The gap is narrower than in 2016, which was seven times.

Speaking from Delhi while attending SATTE 2020, the biggest travel trade show in India, Suchin Jienjitlert, assistant managing director of River Kwai Village Hotel in Kanchanaburi, said the main focus is Indian student groups, who can take longer trips during school breaks.

He anticipates that students will stay at least three nights, while Indians overall stay less than two nights per trip on average. The extended stays could lead to outdoor activities and adventures in nature, which is a strength of Kanchanaburi province.

While Thailand is facing hazardous PM2.5 pollution levels in many provinces, the level of air pollution in India linked to death was the highest in the world in 2017, according to the Global Alliance on Health and Pollution.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... -subgroups