Thailand Air Quality and Pollution Alerts

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Re: Thailand Air Pollution Alerts

Post by PeteC »

The Thai writing is all an image, that's the problem. Maybe BB knows a way to do it later on. If not. someone who is fluent in Thai would have to translate it manually.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

I've been here ten years now and the air quality is most definitely getting worse not only in the town but outside also you can smell the smoke of a night people slash and burning.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A lot of crap in Bangkok this morning. Most of it is smoke, it is a lighter colour than the usual black smog.

This problem here is the same hopeless attitude as it is with plastic pollution. I followed a bus for a short while yesterday on Sukhumvit road and it virtually disappeared in a cloud of black smoke each time it accelerated.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

stretch wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:46 am I've been here ten years now and the air quality is most definitely getting worse not only in the town but outside also you can smell the smoke of a night people slash and burning.
Agree, and we're not imagining things, as sometimes my meter skyrockets at night. Nose & meter agree...... :twisted:

Seems that's when the municipality burns the trash. :roll:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Swampy Airport right now:

Happy & Healthy Bike Lane

241US AQI
PM2.5 | 191.1 µg/m³
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

ozuncle wrote:http://www.huahin.go.th/site/index.php? ... Itemid=104

Could someone please translate this.

I for one are guilty of burning my garden rubbish on occaisions.
Am I breaking the law?

ps. I dont live in town

David
You're breaking the law of your causing a nuisance or likely to cause damage to other people.

The huahin.go.the article refers to:
public health act 2535 sections 26, 26, 28, 74. Penalties under this are quite mild.

criminal code section 220, penalties quite severe.

The article does mention that the local authority should issue a written warning before taking further action under the law.

English translations of the two laws are easily googled.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Laws are great when you have a reliable, efficient and non-corrupt organization to enforce them.

Burning trash happens all over the country and I've never seen or heard of anyone ever getting fined for it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

English translations of the two laws are easily googled.

Thanks for your help there mate!!!!!

If it was easy for me I would have done it.

I would like to know from the Tessabahn what the law is but I can not read Thai.
You only live once.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:06 pm I don't think it's one day now and then. It has been almost constant since September. My wife was seriously affected last month, and spent quite a few days in Hua Hin Hospital. On her ward of about 60 beds, only 8 were for patients without breathing problems.

Sansiri where the worst reports are coming from is maybe a mile from your start point.

Situation now:

Air.png
:oops: I stand corrected. :(
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Swampy airport:
Happy & Healthy Bike Lane
289US AQI
PM2.5 | 239.4 µg/m³

Smoke coming from the east
……………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Bangkok:
Unhealthy
185US AQI
PM2.5 | 120.6 µg/m³
……………………………………………………………………………………
Sansiri Hua Hin
Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups
137US AQI
PM2.5 | 50.1 µg/m³
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

ozuncle wrote:English translations of the two laws are easily googled.

Thanks for your help there mate!!!!!

If it was easy for me I would have done it.

I would like to know from the Tessabahn what the law is but I can not read Thai.
Thai public health act 2535: http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0223.pdf

Criminal code (arson): http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/ ... s-217-225/

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Air unhealthy in much of Bangkok

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... of-bangkok

Small particle dust was at unsafe levels in 38 areas in Bangkok and its neighbouring provinces on Wednesday morning, prompting the Pollution Control Department to warn against non-essential outdoor activities.

The department and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration reported that levels of particulate matter 2.5 micrometres and less (PM2.5) in diameter were in the orange zone in 38 areas, with levels measured from 40-71 microgrammes per cubic metre of air.

Muang district of Samut Prakan was the worst polluted with 71, followed by Krathum Baen district in Samut Sakhon and Bung Kum district in the capital with 70.

Other unhealthy areas in Bangkok were Bang Khuntien, Bang Na, Pathumwan, Thon Buri and Wang Thonglang districts. Muang district of Nakhon Pathom, Pakkret district of Nonthaburi, Khlong Luang district in Pathum Thani, Phra Pradaeng district of Samut Prakan were also among the worst areas.

The PM2.5 levels have worsened since Monday. The government considers readings of 51 or more unsafe for health. Elsewhere in the world the safe level is usually much lower.

The department advised people in affected areas to stay inside if possible and wear a mask when they do go outside.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bangkok on high alert as PM2.5 levels forecast to rise

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... st-to-rise

Bangkok on Wednesday recorded the world's third worst air quality on Air Visual, a popular app monitoring pollution, while City Hall is on high alert for a predicted rise in PM2.5 levels until the end of this week.

The level of PM2.5 at 9.30am on Wednesday rose to over 119 microgrammes per cubic metre (µg/m³), placing the Thai capital third behind only Australia's Canberra and India's New Delhi in terms of air pollution.

However, by 6pm the level of PM2.5 had dropped to 33.9µg/m³, placing the city 32nd on the app's real-time ranking of the world's air quality.

In a related development, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has put its health officials on high alert following a rise of PM2.5 -- hazardous ultra-fine dust -- in 38 of 50 areas in the capital and adjacent provinces.

According to the Pollution Control Department (PCD), the levels of fine particulate matter in the 38 areas ranged from 40 to 71µg/m³.

Muang district of Samut Prakan was the worst polluted with 71, followed by Krathum Baen district in Samut Sakhon and Bung Kum district in the capital with 70. Other unhealthy areas were Bang Khunthian, Bang Na, Pathumwan, Thon Buri and Wang Thonglang districts.

Muang district of Nakhon Pathom, Pakkret district of Nonthaburi, Khlong Luang district in Pathum Thani, Phra Pradaeng district of Samut Prakan were also among the worst areas.

The PM2.5 levels have worsened since Monday. The government considers readings of 51 or more unsafe for health. Elsewhere in the world the safe level is usually much lower.

Chawin Sirinak, director of the BMA's Health Department, said the Communicable Diseases Control Division is closely following guidelines drawn up to help authorities effectively respond to air pollution concerns.

He said officials at mobile units led by 68 health offices were instructed to step up an awareness campaign among city residents, with a focus on vulnerable groups such as the elderly, children, pregnant women and people with heart and respiratory complaints.

The health mobile units are instructed to step up monitoring of vulnerable groups if PM2.5 levels register between 76-100µg/m³ for three consecutive days.

The PCD sets the so-called safe threshold of PM2.5 at 50µg/m³. The fine dust can cause severe respiratory disorders, especially among vulnerable groups. People with underlying health problems were advised to wear face mask and avoid non-essential outdoor activities.

To help relieve the situation, Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda has ordered the police to strictly monitor emissions from vehicles and factories and enforce the ban on open-air burning.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

So the police to close all factories and stop all traffic into and out of Bangkok another government genius.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

y hhinner » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:04 am

Thai public health act 2535: http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0223.pdf

Criminal code (arson): http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/ ... s-217-225/

Thanks hhinner

It appears that if no one complains it is legal to burn a bit of garden rubbish.( The nearset property to where I burn is about 150 meters.)

Just make sure it does not get out of control and cause damage to person or property.

Is that what the Tessabahn article says or are they saying it is illegal to burn garden rubbish?
You only live once.