Extending Two Month Tourist Visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Guess wrote:
lomuamart wrote:Are you suggesting that the above link is in some way wrong? Guess?
Take a look.
I did take a look and I have seen it before but in the case of tourist visas, (7.3) which are what we are discussing here it only glosses over the subject and states that extensions can be given not totaling more than 90 days from entry. This could be interpreted in many ways and does not in any way stand up to scrutiny. Also it explicitly contradicts (or at least supersedes) what most of us believe and Onlyme has stated.

Another thing I must point out is that this post of your was time stamped at 7:23 this morning. The previous post with the URL was posted at 7:14 this morning. There were no post in between.

I was sound asleep at that time and was dozing off when I replied erroneously to Nico.

When you say "Are you suggesting that the above link is in some way wrong? Guess?" are you suggesting I contacted you by some method of subconscious telepathy after having the document presented to me in a dream.

If so I will change my sleeping medication forthwith. It is credible. Last week I accused the Pope of being a double agent and being on the payroll of Al Q'ueda and Rupert Murdoch.
90 days is and always has been the magical number - whether it's the max for a visa or for reporting. (Used to be for tax purposes, but that no longer applies).
The 90 days starts when you enter the country or report. It's really that simple.
The confusion arises as to how "you" achieve this 90 days.
So, 3x30 days on visa exemptions (within a 180 day period).
Tourist visas - 60 days+30 day extension = 90 days.
Non O visas - well there are many types, but you've got to leave the country, or report every 90 days.

And sorry about the above. I must have had a drink or ten at your place last night and thought I was into transendental meditation :cheers:

Just remember 90 - it's a lucky number.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

lomuamart wrote:
90 days is and always has been the magical number - whether it's the max for a visa or for reporting. (Used to be for tax purposes, but that no longer applies).
The 90 days starts when you enter the country or report. It's really that simple.
The confusion arises as to how "you" achieve this 90 days.
So, 3x30 days on visa exemptions (within a 180 day period).
Tourist visas - 60 days+30 day extension = 90 days.
Non O visas - well there are many types, but you've got to leave the country, or report every 90 days.
No problem. I think the above sums it up. It is almost as though the ambiguity is deliberately written in to the document so that Immigration Officer can fully exploit the situation when they see fit.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Nisakiman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Nisakiman »

I will be arriving in LOS at the end of the month, and will be taking lomu's advice re coming in on a 30 day visa exemption, and then going to Viengchang to get a 60 day tourist visa (hopefully extendable by 30 days!)

Does anyone know how long it will take to get the visa there? (Laos, I mean). Reason I ask is twofold. First, I would like to go with my TGF, and she will need to take time off work, and second, if I book and buy the tickets now, I can get really good deals to Udon Thani and back with Air Asia.

I'm assuming that all I will need is a few small photos and my passport. Any info much appreciated.

Cheers! :cheers:
κάνω ό,τι μου καπνίσει
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Nisakiman wrote:I will be arriving in LOS at the end of the month, and will be taking lomu's advice re coming in on a 30 day visa exemption, and then going to Viengchang to get a 60 day tourist visa (hopefully extendable by 30 days!)

Does anyone know how long it will take to get the visa there? (Laos, I mean). Reason I ask is twofold. First, I would like to go with my TGF, and she will need to take time off work, and second, if I book and buy the tickets now, I can get really good deals to Udon Thani and back with Air Asia.

I'm assuming that all I will need is a few small photos and my passport. Any info much appreciated.

Cheers! :cheers:
Having just come back from a 90 day visa run to Ranong, my head's spinning with visas and travelling, so I'll do my best.
I don't think you will have any problem getting a single entry Tourist Visa in Vientiane. Normally, visas are turned around in 24 hours, however depending on opening times you would probably be best thinking of 2 nights there. Check holidays, weekends etc etc.
Last time I was in Nong Khai, a Lao visa was 1,600B on entry. Good for 2 weeks. However, that could be outdated information. I'm pretty sure your girlfriend can get a temporary entry stamp for a few days (maybe longer) for next to nothing. 50B? Something like that, assuming she's Thai.
And yes, lst time I was up there, it's you, your passport and passport photos.
Nisakiman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Nisakiman »

Thanks for that lomu. Exactly what I needed to know.

I owe you a beer or three.... :cheers:

1600 baht for a visa! :shock: Lordy, they're as extortionate as the Cambodians! More so! It cost me $US 20 for a visa for Cambodia last time, and then another $20 (if memory serves) departure tax! :roll: Yes, my girlfriend is Thai, so at least I won't have to double up on the visa costs! :D

Ah well, this is the price we pay for falling in love with SE Asia I guess...

I'll PM you when I'm next in HH, and you can collect on those beers if you feel so inclined :D :cheers:
κάνω ό,τι μου καπνίσει
FutureResident
Banned
Banned

As metioned

Post by FutureResident »

Bottom line will be the 90 out of 180 rule. If you have already accumulated days for the relevant 180 time frame you will be limited! If you have 30 days in the time fram and wanted to extent you 60 day visa it would be a no! I know of a getn whom wanted to do so but was given ony 8 more days as that put him to the max!
lomuamart

Re: As metioned

Post by lomuamart »

FutureResident wrote:Bottom line will be the 90 out of 180 rule. If you have already accumulated days for the relevant 180 time frame you will be limited! If you have 30 days in the time fram and wanted to extent you 60 day visa it would be a no! I know of a getn whom wanted to do so but was given ony 8 more days as that put him to the max!
90 days in 180 only applies to the 30 day visa exemption shamps, not Tourist Visas or extensions to them - at least it shouldn't. I don't know about the above example, but the way it's described, the 30 day extension for 1,900 B should have been granted. People are staying on 3 x30day visa exemptions and then going for a proper Tourist Visa and extending for 30 days, which takes them through the 180 day period (or close to it. They might have to stay out of Thailand for a couple of days) then reentering on a 30 day visa exemption and the sequence starts over again.
FutureResident
Banned
Banned

Pretty Close....

Post by FutureResident »

Sincew I'm doning my visit to U.S. Soil for tax time, visa etc.... No Falang girls need apply...

I just go off the phone with a consular officer in Wash D.C. at the main Thai office..... OK, well seems that the 60 days (speaking for U.S./UK) tourist visa is not applicable to the 90/180 rule...However if one gets and extension of 30 days that will start the clock ticking....."They Said" allowing that TIT applies to Thai officers outside Thailand, that the only way to avoid the new regulation was to apply outside of Thailand. Can you guys get at 60 day Tourist Visa outside the country of your passport. The DC office said no and the LA office said exactly the same as to no 60 Day Tourist Visa for non UJ.S. Passports. I asked if that was a general rule and thet would only speak for U.S. Passports. Seems tha Offices outside of Thailand are specific to the country in which they operate. I know that if you want an O-A that only U.S./ passports will be serviced in the U.S. Last year I had some guy from India trying to get and Thai O-A in the U.S. and was told he had to go to India.... Seesm you could do a 60 Visa and then visa runs for another 30 X 3 = 6 mo plus 90 days...... so much for that!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm still surprised that the 30 day extension to a TV starts the 180 day clock running. Im not doubting what the consulates have said and I think the problem lies in the fact that even imm here are somewhat confused about how to apply the rules.
The thing with the extension is that it's not a visa exemption. You havn't left the country and are still effectively operating on a legitimate visa, allbeit an extension to it. I'll try and find out more. Got to go to imm here in HH at some point for some information.
As far as getting a visa from a country other than your own, people are getting TVs with no trouble in Penang and Vientianne at the moment. Cambodia, however, does seem to only want to issue to Cambodian nationals.
OAs, I'm pretty sure, do have to be applied for in your home country, as you've said. Non Os can be applied for in neighbouring countries, but the multi-entry variety is becoming increasingly difficult to secure (apart from your home country). If your elible for a non O - say married to a Thai national or going to retire, places like Penang are only issuing single entry Non Os (90 days) and expect you to extend for a year in Thailand. Having said that, WL reported getting a multi-entry in KL with no hassle and I've heard Singapore are still issuing them, but with financial qualifications.
FutureResident
Banned
Banned

Wierd but TIT

Post by FutureResident »

I thought that was a bit of a conflict in status but we all know....

As with the load of questions I've asked about other stuff I'll pop into the Immi office in Patong Beach and see what they say...I know that during "Play Water" it will be easy to get into with the 100 Baht Tipparoo etc. Funny as to the Cambodjians....Well, I expect that our friend up at BKK A to Z will shed some lite on this as his is busy polling the crew of Expats that hangs about the Washington Sq area. I suppose for those of us that know to expect change and contradiction will enjoy following the event. I am, however, sorry for those whom must live by all this trial and error stuff. Having to get an O-A in ones home country may not be a burden for a few so they can do the repeat thingo every year. I'm back and forth so it doesn;t matter but next year I will leave Thailand after my visa expires (but before my entry stamp does) so I will have to get a stamp.; Now for those reading this and thinking, Wow, I will be able to stay no problem remember that when you do and O-A you have got to prove res in you home county. For watever that may seem to need to be done. Keep a bank acount so you can pay with a local check and seems that is the trick! I once did a renewal in the L.A. Office (yuck) and they had a little sniff a the fact my check was out of state..... I'm well within my rights, or so says a Thai Immi Lawyer, but do remember that the greay area is that an OA cannot be used as for tourist purposes, so say the law in Thailand. Having at Bank acctg, Thai DL and perm address makes the grade of proof etc.