Bringing 110v electric appliances to Thailand

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Bringing 110v electric appliances to Thailand

Post by migrant »

brianks wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:16 am I hate to throw water on this whole "import" effort but it just doesn't make financial sense to bring anything over from the U.S. All the trouble listed above is one part of the problem. The other is that you could replicate everything you want to bring from the U.S. in Thailand for the same or less than it would cost to bring it over here. I deal with all the importing for the company I work for and see the cost figures.
I hated to give up my 1909 66" Roll Top desk and many other antiques plus tools but came to the realization that they are just "things" but more important than that were the relationships I forged for my 67 years in the U.S.
A friend moved a whole container of his 25 years in Thailand to the U.S. and has stored it in a locker in the U.S. until he now can unload it in a house in N.Y. 4 years later. Total cost of the move has turned out to be substantially more than it would have cost him to purchase the items in the U.S.
When you make a move this drastic you have to come to the realization that your starting a new phase of your life that will be different and require new and different "things".
Brianks, I agree with what you said. It's been 4 years in storage and it has been weaned down considerably but, for us, the items we do want to keep are worth the cost. Since we are already bringing over then the few extra appliances would be minimal, or no additional cost. :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
dennism53
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dennism53 »

Moved here 5 years ago from US. Brought 5 step up xformers with me based on someone's recommendation. He suggested that the most important issue is not overloading them, be careful with appliance wattage. I have run, for over 4 years now; two refrigerators, TV, stereo, kitchen appliances, hand tool battery chargers all with no issues!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro! HST
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I do understand your rational. From my experience dealing with import costs from the business I work for, you need to be prepared for a few "surprises" with the costs. Its never what they quote you so when you see the invoice you will see the "surprises". Good luck and enjoy everything.