Methods for deterring pigeons/birds

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
buksida

Re: Pigeons- fake birds to deter

Post by buksida »

There have been several threads on this, here is the most recent: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=38274
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

And another...... viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27441

Note though, even the realistic decoys of birds of prey like owls and hawks lose their effectiveness over time, about 3-4 months, even if you move them around to different places. Been there done that.

One thing you can do that works but takes some work is to download a bird of prey sound to your cell phone and go out and play it when the pigeons are around. It sends them into panic, but it has to be a bird of prey they are familiar with from here like a small hawk or owl. The problem is that they come back and you have to go out and do it again and again and again.... :banghead:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

To deter pigeons from overhanging areas and around Aircon units, I use an old trick that I remember my Father using in his garden. You stretch fine fishing line about overhead from any convenient points, it's practically invisible and it spooks the pigeons when they fly into it.
I've done it in the roof structure of my terrace and it's stopped them from sitting up there messing on the tiles.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Pidgens

Post by thecolonel »

one specific Q. id like to ask you guys....is it important that you clean up their poop in order to help deter them? in other words are they attracted to their own(or own bretheren) to repeatedly poop in same places, a bit like dogs peeing etc. Or does it make no difference?

thanks
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Had some issues with indian minor birds having a daily party on my car and outdoor furniture and crapping over everything. Tried a few things without success. Had a similar problem in Oz with pigeons getting into the aircraft hangar and had used some artificial snakes which seemed to work. Tried the same with the Indian minors here and it worked fairly well but had to keep moving the snakes around fairly regularly. Not sure how they would work with the pesky pigeons in Thailand.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0878.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0878.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 216 times
snakes.jpg
snakes.jpg (89.46 KiB) Viewed 216 times
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Methods for deterring pigeons/birds

Post by thecolonel »

thanks, ive heard people here saying they've not worked but next time i near a toy shop i might grab a couple to try , thanks again