Petrol lawn mower advice needed

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Re: Petrol lawn mower advice needed

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:37 am Well I have two petrol mowers and they both have the single blade similar to the one in the photo - you are correct though, that if you hit a hidden object you do get an almighty jar on the blade.
Sometimes more than that! My old one was single blade and I hit a concrete fastened bolt hidden in some brush. Bent the engine shaft and presto....junk scrap.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks for the 'heads up'. Didn't realise the short blades 'gave in' to obstructions. Makes a lot of sense. I'll have a new mower today.
Thanks again.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

The big advantage of a mower with two blades, called a mulching mower iin the UK is that you have no cuttings to collect and dispose of. The smaller cuttings are returned to ground and act as fertilizer.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

dundrillin wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:19 am The big advantage of a mower with two blades, called a mulching mower iin the UK is that you have no cuttings to collect and dispose of. The smaller cuttings are returned to ground and act as fertilizer.
If you don't remove the cuttings thatch will build up and encourage moss that will out compete the grass.

:cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Having done a little research after advice from you good people, I find that a 2 bladed mower does not make it a mulching mower. It's all in the blade(s). A mulching blade is shaped differently to a normal blade. The mower I've been looking at has two blades but of the 'throw' type which collects the cuttings in a grassbox.
Mulching doesn't do that as the blade is shaped with 3 cutting edges which cause a circular stream and the grass and leaves get re-cut several times leaving very fine cuttings which will deteriorate as fertilizer.

Thanks, guys. I've learned something new.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Apparently Honda are the leaders in this type of lawnmowers but I read about that in the UK - they might not be so readily available out here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The brands you may see the most are from Australia. I haven't shopped for about 2 years but when I did the gasoline engine type seemed to be all Australian. I have a Bolens now, and the one I blew up on the bolt was a Hopper (I think).

Both were very reliable and this Bolens has been completely trouble free, and it cuts about 2/3 rai of grass every 10 days or so.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Mine are both Asgatec although one of them has a Briggs and Stratton engine - I assume the other is Asgatec own brand?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Like the famous vacuum cleaner called "Hoover", for years in Australia rotary lawn mowers were called "Victa".
The original were simply a round alloy plate with a Villers engine bolted on to them. A bit like a Land Rover in their simplicity!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victa

In later years the company made a small aeroplane:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AESL_Airtourer
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!