Food Panda Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Food Panda Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

I've put this in Feeding Time, but it could just as easily fit into Life In Thailand.

OK, I understand the concept of Food Panda, but I am amazed by it's success.

Most mornings, I'm dragged screaming to Market Village (did you know I hate shopping :laugh: ). For about a month now, I've noticed Food Panda delivery after delivery. Easy to spot, big pink box on the back, and bike rider with his nose attached to his phone screen following Google Maps.

This morning around 11am, I decided I would count them. 9 of the beasties in about a 2 mile drive.

So where are all of these delivery drivers delivering to at 11am on a Monday morning? I just find it incredible that so many people are ordering in so much food to be delivered. I know Thais don't walk anywhere, but to me, this is extreme. Has anybody else noticed this trend? Is there a better explanation?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Food Panda

Post by centermid7 »

They drive like mad hatters! Even more so than the rest of nutters.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Correct.

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I now see them everywhere, at all times of the day. One of them cut in front of us on Petchasem and my wife nearly ran her over. Would have been an easy 2 points.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Is it one of these companies in partnership with a variety of local restaurants, allowing you to select from various menus?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Food Panda Hua Hin

Post by huahin4ever »

It is great! Now we have so much variety of food to be ordered and delivered. And they deliver so fast, like kamikazes, 555! But great to have this option and not only the fast food deliveries.

YNWA

YNWA
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

https://www.google.co.th/search?source= ... M#lpqa=d,2

Wait a second for it to load from their Website:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:12 pm Is it one of these companies in partnership with a variety of local restaurants, allowing you to select from various menus?
Yes Pete.

It is very popular in California and other areas in the states. I haven't tried it here, but used it often when in the States.

Don't know about here but very reasonable there.

Agree with the crazy drivers, must have pressure on them. I've had a couple cut in front where I've had to slam on the brakes.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

huahin4ever wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:34 pm Now we have so much variety of food to be ordered and delivered.
I don't disagree with the concept, and it can be very useful. I just find the popularity to be so amazing. I saw 9 deliveries taking place at 11am this morning. I know there must be the call for it because I see loads of them every day. However, I find it incredible that 9 people within a mile of where I live were ordering in take-away meals at 11am. Is this easy to get food going to make Thais balloon in size even more - don't you think it's getting too easy?

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"Door to Door" started with that concept in Pattaya in the 1990's. At the time I had never heard of the idea and they could well be one of the first anywhere. Just searching I see that they are still in business.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

I have used Food Panda on several occasions when up in Bkk,great selection of restaurants,good service and well presented,easy to follow website.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Big Boy wrote:
huahin4ever wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:34 pm Now we have so much variety of food to be ordered and delivered.
I don't disagree with the concept, and it can be very useful. I just find the popularity to be so amazing. I saw 9 deliveries taking place at 11am this morning. I know there must be the call for it because I see loads of them every day. However, I find it incredible that 9 people within a mile of where I live were ordering in take-away meals at 11am. Is this easy to get food going to make Thais balloon in size even more - don't you think it's getting too easy?
I think easy is good. Everything that makes life easier is welcome. Before, when I was too tired to venture out or cook myself, I used to order the usual deliveries such as McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Company etc. Now with Food Panda I order Indian food, Mediterranean Food (Ogen) and all sorts of Thai food. This wasn't possible before Food Panda, except for a while when we had Hua Hin Butler which no longer exists. There is even some other option for food delivery called Hua Hin Richest, but I haven't tried that one. I welcome all of them but hope the delivery riders are not pressured too much, causing accidents.

YNWA

YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I guess we're all different, and people have different eating habits to me. I also use food delivery, but on the occasion I do, it is at regular meal times, not mid-morning.

Strangely enough, I've been talking to my brother in the UK this afternoon. He has started working for Uber Food in his spare time. He reckons he's busy any time of the the night or day. So maybe my personal values are just outdated :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Helping hungry hermits in the rain

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/17 ... n-the-rain

Food delivery firms use technology

Despite some logistical challenges, the rainy season actually provides a boon for delivery businesses in Thailand, increasing sales and sometimes even reducing delivery times.

The delivery business for food and some packages is unique in Thailand and much of Southeast Asia in that it is done primarily on motorbikes. This leads drivers and their cargo vulnerable to the torrential downpours common during the summer and fall monsoon season.

However, innovations in both technology and equipment have allowed some delivery companies to profit off the inclement weather keeping people indoors.

"When it rains, it's good business for us because people don't go out and the restaurants aren't as busy, so they can cook faster and the delivery men can travel faster if the streets aren't as busy," said Bhavani Mishra, director of operations at Foodpanda, one of Thailand's leading online food delivery apps.

On the other hand, he said extremely heavy downpours could end up slowing their drivers.

Mr Bhavani said Foodpanda's deliveries increase during the rainy season, when people are less likely to go outside. To protect against spillage, the company provides drivers with waterproof jackets and thermal boxes to keep the food warm. It also offers insurance for drivers that covers accidents in the rain and employs more riders during the rainy season.

Foodpanda's biggest innovation may be technological. The delivery system monitors drivers and tracks rain and traffic congestion. When it rains in one area of the city the system directs drivers to that area in anticipation of higher delivery numbers.

Foodpanda will also discourage customers from ordering from restaurants farther away by listing such businesses lower down in the app during heavy rain.

"When it's raining cats and dogs, usually no one is at the restaurant and cooking times can go down as much as 10 minutes on an average 30-minute delivery," he said.

Tarin Thaniyavarn, country head of Grab Thailand, said GrabFood also sees increased delivery demand during the rainy season, but driver safety remains a key concern.

"We understand our driver-partners sometimes do not make deliveries during heavy thunderstorms because of safety concerns, as most of them ride on motorcycles," he said. "They also want to ensure the food they deliver is of a high standard and not affected by the rain."

Grab employs similar tactics to Foodpanda -- equipping their drivers with waterproof jackets and food storage boxes, as well as using their tracking technology to move drivers towards rainy areas that are likely to see spikes in demand.

"Supported by a strong tech back-end, we are able to monitor the allocation and fulfilment rates during peak situations when orders spike," Mr Tarin said. "This allows us to optimise delivery fees and driver incentives in reaction to demand and supply, ensuring we are able to make as many successful deliveries as possible."

Some delivery companies such as Happyfresh, the online grocery delivery app, find rain to be burdensome. Grocery delivery order sizes are often much bigger, meaning drivers can have a tougher time braving torrential rain.

"If the rain is very heavy, the best thing we can do is to be upfront with our customers," said David Lim, vice-president of marketing at Happyfresh. "We are preparing notifications as well as blasting out push notifications and emails to inform customers their deliveries might be delayed. Most people are understanding as they aren't leaving their homes."

He said rainy season is less problematic in Singapore, with more manageable traffic and delivery by car.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!