Paul prepares to take out Starbucks via coffee lovers

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/17 ... s#cxrecs_s

French bakery and restaurant chain Paul is ramping up its bakery and cafe business, aiming to challenge US coffee chain Starbucks.

Vitchuda Sukeewattanamongkol, general manager of Bakehouse Co under Charoen Pokphand (CP) Group, which operates Paul bakeries in Thailand and the CLMV (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam) bloc, said the company aims to roll out Paul across the CLMV soon after recently opening its first bakery and cafe called Paul Le Cafe at Iconsiam mall.

"The bakery and cafe market is saturated in Thailand, while local consumers have developed a thirst for coffee, especially freshly brewed coffee," Ms Vitchuda said. "More importantly, Thailand is a global tourist destination and travellers are familiar with Paul."

She said the company believes the coffee business to be a rising star, citing forecasts of the Asian Coffee Federation and the Barista Association of Thailand that the growth of Thailand's coffee market is set to double over the next five years.

The premium coffee segment is also expected to double in size, while the mass coffee market is forecast to grow by 2-3 times.

Thailand's coffee market is estimated to be worth 36 billion baht.

Ms Vitchuda said the company plans to spend 50 million baht to open 10 Paul Le Cafe branches in Thailand over the next five years.
Of the total, perhaps three branches will open next year in densely populated areas, especially near MRT stations, she said.

Paul operates in over 35 countries worldwide, totalling more than 500 shops.

Bakehouse was awarded the right to operate Paul in Thailand and the CLMV nations in 2014. It runs nine Paul bakeries and restaurants in Bangkok and one in Vietnam.

Bakehouse recorded sales of 265 million baht in 2018 and expects to increase the figure to 300 million baht this year and to 500 million baht within five years.
Ms Vitchuda says travellers are familiar with Paul. (Photo by Pitsinee Jitpleecheep)
Ms Vitchuda says travellers are familiar with Paul. (Photo by Pitsinee Jitpleecheep)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Paul prepares to take out Starbucks via coffee lovers

Post by centermid7 »

I've never heard of them . . .
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Never heard of them either. However, they seem to be in around 30 countries with several hundred outlets, including the UK and has been around for 130 years!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yes, widely available in the UK and making the same sandwiches they do in Thailand! Loads in Bkk although I was surprised by the first bakery and café claimed as being in Icon Siam. There has been the same in Central Embassy and Emporium for ages and no doubt other places. Not cheap.
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I like "Au bon pain" which in spite of its name is an American company. Good pastries and not too expensive. Several in BKK and Pattaya.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:07 pm I like "Au bon pain" which in spite of its name is an American company. Good pastries and not too expensive. Several in BKK and Pattaya.
And one small booth at HH hospital here in Hua Hin. American or Aussie company?

I do like Jones the Grocer in Bkk. That is an aussie company.
Talk is cheap
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Well, I'm not really the type that likes a green iced frappa-dappa-latte and avocado toast before work ... so will not be contributing to either company.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

caller wrote: American or Aussie company?
Well, if they don't have Vegemite it is not Aussie! :(
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:13 pm
oakdale160 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:07 pm I like "Au bon pain" which in spite of its name is an American company. Good pastries and not too expensive. Several in BKK and Pattaya.
And one small booth at HH hospital here in Hua Hin. American or Aussie company?

I do like Jones the Grocer in Bkk. That is an aussie company.
Where please? As far as I know, there's now only one coffee shop in HH Hospital (2nd recently demolished), which is far too small. Where in the hospital is this one hiding please.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ah, not Hua Hin Hospital, but Bangkok Hua Hin Hospital
au.png
au.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 397 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yes, sorry my error. In Bkk hospital.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Nereus wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:05 pm
My sister has lived in Oz for over 30 years and her husband is an aussie. I only mentioned it as when last here they were surprised to see Au Bon Pain and she mentioned they were an aussie company. I have no idea.

But they were even more surprised to see Jones The Grocer which most definitely is. I eat there from time to time when in Bkk and yes, you can buy the cheap marmite substitute! :D
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

caller wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:21 pm
Nereus wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:05 pm
My sister has lived in Oz for over 30 years and her husband is an aussie. I only mentioned it as when last here they were surprised to see Au Bon Pain and she mentioned they were an aussie company. I have no idea.

But they were even more surprised to see Jones The Grocer which most definitely is. I eat there from time to time when in Bkk and yes, you can buy the cheap marmite substitute! :D
Au Bon Pain (French pronunciation: ​[o bɔ̃ pɛ̃], meaning "at (or to) the Good Bread"[1]) is a fast casual restaurant, bakery and café chain headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, with over 200 locations in the United States, India, and Thailand.[2] The company is owned by Panera Bread, which is owned by JAB Holding Company. JAB is owned by the Reimann family of Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_Bon_Pain