A Great Week for Sport - Cricket, Tennis, Grand Prix & Golf

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

A Great Week for Sport - Cricket, Tennis, Grand Prix & Golf

Post by oakdale160 »

2 Amazing finishes at Sports events on Sunday. First the Wimbledon Mens final, decided by a tie-breaker after a 12-12 tie in the 5th set, a match that lasted 5 hours. Then the World cup of Cricket won by England in a 'tie-breaker" extra over. You couldn't invent those 2 finishes within a few hours of each other.
Next up, next weekend. The OPEN in Northern Ireland, first time for 68 years Peter Alliss will be commentating and he is one of two players still alive who played in 1951 when it was last played at Royal Portrush--I'm betting on another tie-breaker.
PeteC

Re: OPEN at Royal Portrush

Post by PeteC »

You have a link for that story? Would be interesting to read all instead of snippets.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: OPEN at Royal Portrush

Post by oakdale160 »

You mean the Peter Allos story--just google Peter Alliss, thats how I found it.
The other story that is very moving is that this is the biggest sporting event to be held in NI since the end of 'the troubles" and for many people there, it is showing that NI is regarded as being safe and in many ways shows a new sense of acceptance.
PeteC

Re: A Great Week for Sport - Cricket, Tennis, Grand Prix & Golf

Post by PeteC »

No, what I’m saying is post a link with the copy of what you post like everyone else does. Too long Oakdale you post like it’s your own words and it’s not, for years now.

If you don’t want to, don’t post, simple as that.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Not interested in the tennis, but the British Grand Prix needs to be added to the list. Quite a race. But for me, the story of the day was the cricket - the most amazing game of any format I've ever seen.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Being laid-up with my knee, I'm back home and was able to watch (alternating) "The Triple" (F1, Tennis & Cricket) :thumb:

What a day of sport - incredible finishes (although would have preferred a Federer victory!). Must admit, I'm not the greatest fan of cricket, but good God, I don't think you'll see a finish like that again! :shock: NZ must be gutted, but you have to give full credit to both teams for a great spectacle (even for me :wink: ) :bow:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

THe OPEN--Who would have thought--Darren Clarke, the 50yr old 'Ceremonial" first off the tee golfer has an excellent 71 and young Rory explodes with a 79
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Emotional ending at the OPEN, not too much suspense, Fleeetwood deserves credit but he never looked as if he could catch Shane.