Juventus v. Spurs

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Juventus v. Spurs

Post by dtaai-maai »

A pre-season friendly in Singapore

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49063255

This won't please BB, but frankly who cares? :D

Bodes well for the new season, and it looks like we have more good youngsters coming through.
Harry Kane produced a moment of magic, scoring from the halfway line in injury time as Tottenham beat Juventus 3-2 in a magnificent game in Singapore.

It was the final decisive moment in an International Champions Cup game in which both sides had led.

Eric Lamela had tapped Spurs in front before Gonzalo Higuain and Cristiano Ronaldo turned the game in favour of the Italian champions.

Ronaldo gave the crowd the moment it craved with a low eight-yard finish.

But Tottenham's £53.8m record signing Tanguy Dembele - introduced for his debut just after the hour - used his first touch to provide the through ball for Lucas Moura to equalise.

The game seemed certain to go to penalties until Kane, on as a half-time substitute, looked up about a stride inside the Juventus half and sent the ball sailing over former Arsenal keeper Wojciech Szczesny and into the net.

It was a fitting end to a marvellous game, which included a debut for Juventus' newest signing, Matthijs de Ligt.
Ronaldo v Son

Judging by the reaction of the supporters, this was not so much Juventus against Tottenham as Ronaldo against Son Heung-min: one of the world's most popular and recognisable footballer against - on present form - Asia's best player.

Any time either of them touched the ball, the crowd was in a frenzy. In fact, Ronaldo missed with an overhead kick and a header - which was actually a very good chance - yet still drew screams.

If Ronaldo was frustrated at wasting the headed chance, he was incredulous when Tottenham defender Kyle Walker-Peters blocked a goal-bound flick that seemed certain to put the Italian side ahead.

Son does not have the overt showmanship of his fellow number seven.

The South Korean is the ultimate team man, an attitude that brought Tottenham their goal, given he could easily have gone on his own rather than lay off a pass to 17-year-old Troy Parrott for the shot that ended up at Lamela's feet.

Son hit a post in the opening stages of a half Tottenham dominated, despite Pochettino naming a mix-and-match starting line-up for their first game since losing the Champions League final to Liverpool on 1 June.

Pochettino's side contained four outfield players who have barely made a first-team appearance between them.
This is the way
Big Boy

Re: Juventus v. Spurs

Post by Big Boy »

Doesn't bother me at all. I wish he could do it more often, whilst becoming a 90 minute player, but sadly, I doubt that will ever happen, and England will be left with a liability. Actually, it surprises me more keepers aren't caught out in that way when playing a sweeper role. I hate it when Ratchaburi are attacking and our keeper is positioned between the penalty area and the centre circle.

I haven't seen the goal, but the above scenario seems to fit the way it was described to me.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:36 pm Doesn't bother me at all. I wish he could do it more often, whilst becoming a 90 minute player, but sadly, I doubt that will ever happen, and England will be left with a liability. Actually, it surprises me more keepers aren't caught out in that way when playing a sweeper role. I hate it when Ratchaburi are attacking and our keeper is positioned between the penalty area and the centre circle.

I haven't seen the goal, but the above scenario seems to fit the way it was described to me.
Would he have tried this in a competitive match? Minutes to go, on the halfway line and more likely to give the ball back to the opposition whilst in an attacking position
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Rooney did recently - great headline goal.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

arcadianagain wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:03 pm Would he have tried this in a competitive match? Minutes to go, on the halfway line and more likely to give the ball back to the opposition whilst in an attacking position
Not competitive? :shock: Hey, this was the "International Champions' Cup", not some bog standard friendly against Tranmere Rovers! :wink: :laugh:
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Like you said DM, nice to see a new wave of youngsters coming through. Ndombele made an instant impact and behind the scenes is becoming a popular lad in the dressing room. As for the goal... Ol' liability Harry Jane just got lucky.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.