International money transfers FROM Thailand

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: International money transfers FROM Thailand

Post by handdrummer »

ut I usually see a guy at one of the desks. Not a teller. Today he was very helpful explaining the transfer rules to me.

There are usually 2 guys at the desks. The heavy set one is the one who knows what to do.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

m_right wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:38 am
hhinner wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:22 pm I don't know if kasikorn has some internal regulation that makes transferring money overseas difficult, but a few months ago I was in the kasikorn branch in Market Village and there was a foreigner talking to one of the tellers. He wanted to send 2 million baht from his account to his wife in The Philippines. The teller kept on saying that it was too difficult. Not impossible, just too difficult. Too many forms and having to get authorisation. The customer was at a loss. What should be do? In the end the teller told him it would be easier to withdraw the money from his account and go to one of the other banks where doing the transfer would be much easier. At this point I finished my business there and left without seeing whether the customer did as advised, but it did seem rather strange.
I have found that I get better and more knowledgeable service at the Blueport branch. But I usually see a guy at one of the desks. Not a teller. Today he was very helpful explaining the transfer rules to me
Would you care to share the rules?
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:22 am
m_right wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:38 am
hhinner wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:22 pm I don't know if kasikorn has some internal regulation that makes transferring money overseas difficult, but a few months ago I was in the kasikorn branch in Market Village and there was a foreigner talking to one of the tellers. He wanted to send 2 million baht from his account to his wife in The Philippines. The teller kept on saying that it was too difficult. Not impossible, just too difficult. Too many forms and having to get authorisation. The customer was at a loss. What should be do? In the end the teller told him it would be easier to withdraw the money from his account and go to one of the other banks where doing the transfer would be much easier. At this point I finished my business there and left without seeing whether the customer did as advised, but it did seem rather strange.
I have found that I get better and more knowledgeable service at the Blueport branch. But I usually see a guy at one of the desks. Not a teller. Today he was very helpful explaining the transfer rules to me
Would you care to share the rules?
My understanding is that a non-Thai citizen can wire transfer out money that can be shown to have come from international transfers in. Not clear on how that amount is determined but in my case he saw international deposits in my bank book. A thai citizens do not have this restriction.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There's something wrong here. Maybe it's just K-Bank? It seems myself and many others have had no problems sending quite large amounts out of Thailand and a simple Google search brings up literally dozens of companies competing with each other in the transfer services.
This is the first I've heard personally of someone having major problems.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

My last transfer out was a few weeks ago at Kasikorn, it was one simple form, no questions where the money came from, I have transferred a fair amount out in the last 5 months since selling a home and land.

Maybe it is like immigration it all depends on the person you deal with, maybe some know the rules and others don't. We certainly don't know the rules.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:00 pm My last transfer out was a few weeks ago at Kasikorn, it was one simple form, no questions where the money came from, I have transferred a fair amount out in the last 5 months since selling a home and land.

Maybe it is like immigration it all depends on the person you deal with, maybe some know the rules and others don't. We certainly don't know the rules.
Selling house or land works because the money to buy was from outside Thailand.
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:27 am There's something wrong here. Maybe it's just K-Bank? It seems myself and many others have had no problems sending quite large amounts out of Thailand and a simple Google search brings up literally dozens of companies competing with each other in the transfer services.
This is the first I've heard personally of someone having major problems.
Have had similar problems, especially with K-bank. If you cant prove you bought the funds in they don't want you taking it out.

If it is that easy I'm sure you can enlighten the OP by posting details on this thread to serve as a good reference for anyone else with similar problems.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A simple Google brings up lots of options. ("transferring money out of thailand")

My own personal experience is with Bangkok Bank with whom I transferred several amounts over the years. I always gave the reason as education (school fees, living expenses etc). I can't relate experiences through other channels but I've spoke and heard of several that have done it.
If the OP has only tried K-Bank, then he should try other channels. Nothing to lose in shopping around.
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

HHTel wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43 pm A simple Google brings up lots of options. ("transferring money out of thailand")

My own personal experience is with Bangkok Bank with whom I transferred several amounts over the years. I always gave the reason as education (school fees, living expenses etc). I can't relate experiences through other channels but I've spoke and heard of several that have done it.
If the OP has only tried K-Bank, then he should try other channels. Nothing to lose in shopping around.
Your right. Maybe this isn't the right place for advice on Hua Hin and Thailand. Some would like to turn it into another T*Visa
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:00 pm My last transfer out was a few weeks ago at Kasikorn, it was one simple form, no questions where the money came from, I have transferred a fair amount out in the last 5 months since selling a home and land.

The form you signed at Kasikorn has a section asking the purpose of the transfer.
Payment of goods
Educational expense/fee
other (please specify)

The next page shows the "documents required for outward remittance." I can't scan it or find it using google search.
It lists the documents required for each of the common other reasons.

For foreign nationals working in Thailand or repatriation of funds previously brought in to thailand.

I was surprised that Thais have to state reason and show documents.

Must be like you say " like immigration depends on the person you deal with"

PS SCB Bank website says
Documents (for Thai nationality – document specifying purpose of remittance; and for foreigner – source of income document)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The banks don't question inbound payments to an account held by a Thai if USD20,000 or less. We've never tried an outbound from the account but the same rule should apply to a Thai, I would think. Logic has gotten me in trouble before though..... :banghead:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

We had the devil’s own job getting money back out from Thailand, we have an account with K-Bank. We were advised opening an account with Bangkok Bank would have allowed us to transfer 1M THB per week but not being in Thailand for several weeks made that a non-starter.

Not being Thai nor having a work visa, we were not able to transfer money for the three standard reasons quoted by K-Bank. We could not transfer any funds online, because we needed prior permission based on the three aforementioned reasons. In the end, I had to travel to BKK for a day (I stayed for two) and meet, in person, with someone who pored over all of our inward payment receipts going back 8 years.

To be fair, once the decision was taken to approve the transfer, much later that day, it was immediately available in my UK account and at a very reasonable rate. Quite a fuss though, we’re very glad to be clear of our obligations.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

HHTel wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43 pm A simple Google brings up lots of options. ("transferring money out of thailand")

Would you care to put a copy and paste of what your search found, I have tried and found nothing. For many this is an important issue.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Would you care to put a copy and paste of what your search found, I have tried and found nothing. For many this is an important issue.
These are the first few websites that come up on a search. I've not looked at the detail as I've already said, I've used Bangkok Bank with no real problems.

https://www.renegadetravels.com/how-to- ... -thailand/

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal ... f-Thailand

https://www.mycurrencytransfer.com/mone ... m-Thailand

http://moneygram.co.th/en

https://www.citibank.co.th/global-banki ... nsfers.htm

https://www.torfx.com/ppc6/thai-baht.ph ... 94QAvD_BwE
https://cuex.com/en/money-transfer?gcli ... d0QAvD_BwE
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Some of them are not transfer companies in their own right, they just recommend other sites, Renegade, Cuex, my currency are examples.
The likes of XE.com and many other exchange rate site will allow you to bring money into Thailand but not out as they do not the required license as Thailand will not issue this.
Any Thai bank works its just the cost.