Shopping as a farang in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Shopping as a farang in Thailand

Post by buksida »

Big Boy will get a kick out of this one for sure ... Kafkaesque comes to mind.

Shopping while farang
It is the New Year. In the spirit of the holiday season, I notice the man behind me is holding a single bag of mangoes, so I say: "You go first."

I stand back to let him pass.

"Thank you," he says, and proceeds to the cashier.

I am standing in Tops Supermarket, clutching seven items in my little Tops basket, approaching a cashier who, though certainly not forlorn, is not reflecting the peace and joy as represented by the red Santa hat she is wearing.

And yet she is efficient and the gentleman I just allowed past me is paying quickly.

I notice that the woman standing next behind me is also holding a single item. It's washing powder.

Oh man, do I let her through, too? She throws me a friendly glance, which suggests she can read my mind, knowing what I am contemplating.

Alas, she is out of luck. I believe in selective benevolence; otherwise I'll be standing here forever as an endless stream of single-item shoppers pass me by. I ignore her, and start piling my items upon the conveyor belt.

"Do you have Tawan Card?" the cashier asks me. It took at least two years of visits to Tops to understand that cashiers were not, actually, asking me if I had a Tawan Card. Tawan in Thai is another word for "sun", and I assumed, for two long years, that Tops had a member card named after the sun.

Full story (very funny, very true): https://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/s ... ile-farang
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Shopping as a farang in Thailand

Post by Nereus »

In a few short seconds I am out of Tops, having survived a purchase that required cash, a passport, my mobile phone, three OTP numbers and a store manager. It really is wonderful to be living in the Thailand...
Don't feel smug, apart from the OTP code number, the same carry on happens in BigC.
Plus, if you are due a discount you have to pay the bill when it reaches 1,000 Baht, get your change if required, and then they start a new bill! :roll:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I replied to this an hour ago, but it disappeared into the ether :?

Funny, the last time I shopped in TOPS I was asked for a card, and I turned to Mrs BB and asked why we didn't have one. She simply said that it didn't matter, and we were on our way. I now understand why.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I never have problems redeeming TOPS points. I have never had to fiddle with an OTP number as far as I can recall and use my driving license for ID. A few weeks ago. I got a free 500 baht coupon after all my goods had been processed, which the lady on the till said I could use to pay my then waiting to be paid 498 baht bill. Very convenient and very cheap.
Talk is cheap