Leicester FC owner's helicopter crashes

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: Leicester FC owner's helicopter crashes

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Nereus wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:36 pm My post is about speculating when there are deaths involved, nothing to do with what you may or may not know.
I'm really struggling to see where you're coming from on this. Mentioning what are the possible and more likely technical reasons for the malfunction of the aircraft is not disrespectful to the dead in any way that I can see.

If he had said something tasteless - or insulting to the memory of the deceased, I could understand your objecting to that. But that's not what was done.

He's not saying anything much different from the experts that have been discussing this on various news outlets. There were two aviation experts talking (or speculating, if you'd prefer) on the BBC about this the other day - here's an extract from the report on what they said:
The experts agreed that there appeared to be a problem with the tail rotor, which explains why the helicopter started spinning.

The tail rotor is at the back of a helicopter and is there to prevent the aircraft spinning in the opposite direction to the main rotor blades.

"Basically it's a loss of power to the tail rotor," Mr Rowlands said.
Would you say the BBC and/or these experts were being disrespectful to the dead by discussing it in this way?
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:54 pm If he had said something tasteless - or insulting to the memory of the deceased, I could understand your objecting to that. But that's not what was done.

He's not saying anything much different from the experts that have been discussing this on various news outlets. There were two aviation experts talking (or speculating, if you'd prefer) on the BBC about this the other day
I absolutely agree. It's human nature to talk about how something tragic like this could happen. I assume no one on this forum is a cave rescue expert, but we all speculated on how the football boys could be rescued. And as you say as long as that talking/speculation is done with a bit of tact I see no issue.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Due to the spinning its some form of tail rotor/transmission failure or pilot incapacitation
So that post means discussion in your opinion? Strange interpretation where I come from.

The BBC, and other experts, are doing what all media do, selling stories by not letting the facts get in the way sensation and the reporters own ego.
I do not have a problem discussing what MAY have happened, but that is NOT what has been posted.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Leicester rename foundation in honour of late owner

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

LONDON: Leicester City's Foxes Foundation will be renamed The Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha Foundation in honour of the club's chairman, who tragically died in a helicopter crash, the Premier League side announced on Tuesday.

On top of the millions he poured into funding the club's rise from English football's second tier to Premier League winners in 2015/16, Vichai also donated generously to the local community of Leicester since buying the club in 2010.

The Thai businessman was killed along with four others when his helicopter crashed in the car park of Leicester's King Power Stadium on October 27, shortly after attending a 1-1 draw with West Ham.

"Since its formation in 2011/12, the Foundation has raised almost £2 million for local charities, helping fund a renovation of Leicester Royal Infirmary's Children's Outpatient Ward and life-saving equipment desperately needed by the Children's Intensive Care Unit," Leicester said in a statement.

"Under its new name, The Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha Foundation will continue to build on that life-changing work in a way that reflects the generosity, care and love of a man who made over £4 million in personal donations to the city's universities, hospitals and charities in recent years."
albaker

Post by albaker »

Khun Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha must have been the only foreign owner of a UK football team that there was never any negative issues with him or his ownership of team . Think Newcastle & Manchester United amongst others !!!!!!
Have 2 grandchildren studying in Leicester , not football fans , who have told me of a lot more of Khun Vichai,s largess was never reported .
Not a religious person but may he RIP
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Preliminary report released by AAB:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... G-VSKP.pdf
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

So it was a tail rotor issue that caused the crash. I hope there is a conclusion as to
what happened mechanically that was the cause.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.