'Extinct' bird found in Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

'Extinct' bird found in Thailand

Post by PeteC »

This is a nice story, but also deserves a chuckle. We may now find more people spreading sewage about to attract even more extinct species.....perhaps a T-Rex? :shock: Pete

Scientists have confirmed that a small wetland bird, believed to have been extinct for more than 130 years, is still living.

A year after it was found in a sewage treatment site in Thailand, an ornithologist on Wednesday confirmed that the large-billed reed warbler is the elusive bird last seen in India in 1867.

Philip Round, manager of conservation projects at Mahidol University in Bangkok, said he stumbled across the large-billed reed warbler in March 2006 at the water treatment project in the province of Phetchaburi.

"We thought it was probably extinct, but now we have proved that the bird still exists. I believe more researchers will be looking for them in India, Nepal and even Burma," he said, referring to Thailand's neighbour Myanmar.

Round said his findings would be published in the International Journal of Avian Biology.

"I was really, really excited. I've known the existence of this bird for many years through reading and old references, but I've never, ever expected to find it here," the British researcher said.

The warbler was found in grass filter beds used for household sewage treatment on the coast of the Gulf of Thailand.

"When I caught this bird, I knew that something was very different. Its appearance was different from any other Thai reed warblers," Round said, adding the bird stood out because of its long beak and short wings.

Weighing just 9.5 grammes (0.3 ounces), the 14-centimetre (5.5-inch) long male bird was believed to be about one year old. Round took a couple of its tail feathers and sent them to Sweden's Lund University for DNA tests.

Within hours, the tests confirmed the bird was the large-billed reed warbler. Round said the rediscovery of the rare bird after more than a century raised hopes among ornithologists.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So.................as he obviously plucked it, did he then go on to cook it? At 0.3 ounces, he wouldn't have got much of a meal, but after all TIT.

Is it back on the extinct list again?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

He probably stuck it on e-bay in the hope that Jaime would put in a bid.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Not much to shoot at.