itv Lost Revenue, come back Thaksin

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
BEARHUG
Banned
Banned

itv Lost Revenue, come back Thaksin

Post by BEARHUG »

iTV suffers costly setback as court overturns fee cut

The television network iTV Plc yesterday lost a landmark court battle over discounts in its concession fees and the right to adjust its programming. It stands to lose more than Bt1.5 billion in retroactive and regular concession fees.

The Central Administrative Court yesterday overturned a 2004 decision by an arbitration court that had significantly cut the network's concession fee.

However, the company's lawyer Chaiwat Marapreukwan said the battle was not over. "iTV will definitely appeal to the Supreme Administrative Court within 30 days," he said.

Shin Corp Plc is iTV's major shareholder with a 53 per cent stake. Singapore's state investment arm Temasek Holdings controls over 96 per cent of Shin, which was previously owned by caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's family. Earlier this year it sold its majority stake to Temasek.

iTV's executive chairman Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisal said despite yesterday's court order, the company has yet to pay the retroactive concession fee, pending the appeal.

Eva Ho, director of corporate communications of Temasek, refused to comment on whether yesterday's ruling would affect Temasek's interests in iTV. "Shin is the parent of iTV, so Shin is looking into the matter," she said.

The court's decision yesterday would mean iTV having to resume paying the annual concession fee rate of 44 per cent of revenues or Bt1 billion per year - whichever is greater - to its concession owner the Office of the Permanent Secretary of the PM's Office.

At present, iTV pays only 6.5 per cent of revenue or a minimum of Bt230 million, granted by the ruling of the arbitration court in 2004.

Yesterday's ruling also called for the backdated concession fee to be paid to the government of around Bt1.5 billion, according to the estimates of analysts and iTV executives.

The court ruling also voided an easing in programming requirements under the arbitration court ruling, which had allowed iTV to adjust its news/entertainment programme ratio to 50:50 from the original 70:30.

The ruling yesterday reasoned that the arbitration court's ruling in the case of iTV exceeded its authority.

iTV had earlier asked the Office of the Permanent Secretary to compensate it, reasoning that the government had overcharged its concession fee. Moreover, iTV said its operation was adversely affected by the fact that some cable TV operators were found to run disguised commercials in defiance of their contracts. However, the government refused to do so.

Therefore, iTV filed the case with the arbitration court and later won the legal battle when the court allowed it to pay a much lower annual concession fee and enjoy the flexibility to adjust its programmes from January 30, 2004.

After the ruling, the Office of the Permanent Secretary asked the Central Administrative Court to override the arbitration court's ruling, citing the verdict exceeded that court's authority. The state agency awarded the 30-year-concession to iTV in 1995.

Deputy permanent secretary of the Permanent Secretary's Office, Julayudh Hiranyawasit, said a meeting would be held soon to see what it would do next with iTV.

iTV posted total revenues of Bt2.34 billion last year, up Bt504 million over 2004, thanks to improved ratings for its programmes, especially during prime time. Its net profit skyrocketed 232 per cent to Bt679 million from Bt205 million in 2004.

Brokerage houses rushed to lower the value of iTV Plc's shares in reaction to the Central Administrative Court's ruling.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've been following this with some intereat since it raised its head last year.
My understanding is that good old Toxin, not wanting the masses to get too "much news", allowed ITV to radically alter the balance of that and "garbage" from something like 70/30, 30/70 in favour of the garbage - read soaps.
So, as the original charter for ITV (ie news) was breached, there's huge penalties to be paid.
The station will go off the air for 3 days, as of midnight tonight. After that, a ruling will be made on the next month.
Now, that's from my missus watching television, 5 mins ago, so things can get lost in translation.
Good "quote", Bearhug. But can you please source them in the future and not link into or mention other forum sites covering Thailand? Thanks.
BTW, my wife is always right, so I'm sure that her info is correct. Only joking.
:cheers: I'm not having a go at you. We really do need sources for news like this.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Govt pulls the plug of iTV

ITV would be taken off the air this midnight, immediately after the concession is revoked by the PM's Office, said PM's Office Minister Khunying Dhipawadee Meksawan.

After the Cabinet meeting today, she revealed that to follow through the legal procedure, iTV cannot operate until the government has the confirmation to do so from the Council of State.

"The Council of State will rush through this process. It tends to give the answer within this Friday," she said.

She also noted that the Publics Relations Department would take over iTV's operations, not MCOT as previously planned.

Source: The Nation
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Well what do you know ITV goes dark tonite.
One reason for me to watch ITV in it's last hours. But this all could have been avioded if ITV would pay all the concession fee that's been asked to pay months and Ions ago. The pridefilled board of ITV got now what it deserves.

So Sad too see ITV go away. Me and my roommate had watched it's News all the time back then when we where still students @ Stamford Univ.!!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The understudy wrote:Well what do you know ITV goes dark tonite.
One reason for me to watch ITV in it's last hours. But this all could have been avioded if ITV would pay all the concession fee that's been asked to pay months and Ions ago. The pridefilled board of ITV got now what it deserves.

So Sad too see ITV go away. Me and my roommate had watched it's News all the time back then when we where still students @ Stamford Univ.!!!!
Must admit that I havn't watched it too much over the years. Firstly, because my Thai isn't good enough (but if there looks like decent coverage of something, I can always ask questions).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I said above, I feel to be case. The once best "independent" news channel in Thailand, turned into a puppet of the State was awarded concessions to produce mass media soap operas.
It remains to be seen what happens to it now. If ever the Thais get back to a healthy balance of "independent news" and grunge, then it'll be good for this country. They don't have much of a choice at the moment and what they do get is heavily censored. We've spoken about this before.
Get back to some journalism, iTV. Give them some latitude government. Bet you then this country starts to rise from the fire where it sometimes seems to heading now.
Rant over.