British home comfort food?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: British home comfort food?

Post by Takiap »

AP interfoods on the klong road have all items mentioned in the OP, and my guess is HHH&B also do.

Somebody mentioned that Colemans English Mustard is not the same here? I buy mine from Makro and I can't really tell the difference to that which I used in the UK. Then again, I've always spread on bread like butter lol. I love a mustard sandwich or mustard on toast, but only Coleman's or equivalent. The green wasabi stuff you get here is not a bad alternative either. :D

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:05 am AP interfoods on the klong road have all items mentioned in the OP, and my guess is HHH&B also do.

Somebody mentioned that Colemans English Mustard is not the same here? I buy mine from Makro and I can't really tell the difference to that which I used in the UK. Then again, I've always spread on bread like butter lol. I love a mustard sandwich or mustard on toast, but only Coleman's or equivalent. The green wasabi stuff you get here is not a bad alternative either. :D

Last time I looked, Makro also sell a fairly large tin of Coleman’s Mustard Powder for mixing yourself which as far as I can tell is the real thing, certainly brings tears to my eyes if I spread it a bit too generously!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Correct but the content in the jars is a little different. The jars will last in the fridge for a long time whereas the mixed powder is more of a 24 hour thing. I find the powder, although hot, is a tad bitter and lacks some of the flavour found in jars.
The jars do differ depending upon their origin.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I use the Colemans powdered stuff, mix a little fresh each time and it's eyewatering. I agree it doesn't have the flavour of jarred stuff but it's a fair trade off for the strength!There also another brand which you can get here in a jar and is fierce. I don't know where to buy it and forgot its name but they use it in Burgers & Beer restaurant in Market Village.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Villa Market has Branston Pickle, though not necessarily in stock on the day you need it. It's one of the two British Commonwealth creations that have become part of my comfort food. Vegemite on buttered toast is the other.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nanny's almost always has Branston Pickle as does Makro. I'll only go to Villa as a last resort.
While mentioning Branston's, I tried their baked beans and I have to say, it's the first brand I've come across that I rate better than Heinz!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:09 pmWhile mentioning Branston's, I tried their baked beans and I have to say, it's the first brand I've come across that I rate better than Heinz!
I am assured by Dave at HHH&B that Branston beans are Cross & Blackwell as was. And I agree they are the best. Heinz has always been over rated in my opinion with too much sauce and not enough beans. But I mainly use Brooks which are widely available.

Branston pickle is widely available in original and small chunks in HH and in a variety of flavours if you go to Bkk. I was looking at their red onion chutney the other day but it was more expensive than Tesco's, which I like.

I think the OP will now be aware that so much is now available at various outlets.

And with all this talk of mayo, why has no-one mentioned Hellman's which is available here? I don't eat the stuff due to an egg allergy, but it seemed the main brand in the UK, as far as I could tell?
Talk is cheap
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:03 am Correct but the content in the jars is a little different. The jars will last in the fridge for a long time whereas the mixed powder is more of a 24 hour thing. I find the powder, although hot, is a tad bitter and lacks some of the flavour found in jars.
The jars do differ depending upon their origin.
I also often buy the powder version. If you want to get the flavor closer to the jar version, you need to add a tiny amount of sugar, salt, and lime juice and/or vinegar.

AP Interfoods sometimes has small tins of the powder, and Big C usually have small tins of Mc Garrets Mustard Powder which is very much the same.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I was amused when living in the US. A new huge supermarket opened and they had all the items that have been mentioned here plus Birds Custard powder and Marmite. The amusing thing was that these items were in the "International Gourmet" section.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 am I was amused when living in the US. A new huge supermarket opened and they had all the items that have been mentioned here plus Birds Custard powder and Marmite. The amusing thing was that these items were in the "International Gourmet" section.
US retailers long ago learned the 'gourmet' label lessens resistance to higher prices on imported goods.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, to be honest, Marmite is a gourmet food. :D :duck:

Now, before anyone slams Marmite, take a minute to Google the nutritional value of Marmite. You might be surprised.

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I'd big up Marmite too, lovely stuff. I don't suppose anyone has come across Gentlemen's Relish (Patum Peperium) in Thailand? It's basically anchovy paste but with added ingredients. Spread thinly on hot buttered toast or crumpets it's delicious. I didn't see it for a long time though; not since I lived in the UK. So it's something I forget to ask visitors to bring when they come here.

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver ... magazine11
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:30 am Well, to be honest, Marmite is a gourmet food. :D :duck:

Now, before anyone slams Marmite, take a minute to Google the nutritional value of Marmite. You might be surprised.

I don’t know about nutrition, but for taste I’m in the “love it” category!!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The item that amused me most in the theInternational Gourmet section was HP sauce.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:03 am I'd big up Marmite too, lovely stuff. I don't suppose anyone has come across Gentlemen's Relish (Patum Peperium) in Thailand? It's basically anchovy paste but with added ingredients. Spread thinly on hot buttered toast or crumpets it's delicious. I didn't see it for a long time though; not since I lived in the UK. So it's something I forget to ask visitors to bring when they come here.

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver ... magazine11

I have never seen it or heard of it before, but I'm wondering if it is similar to an anchovy spread which is very popular in South Africa, the most popular being Pecks Anchovette.