Shipping a laptop overseas

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Shipping a laptop overseas

Post by Ginjaninja »

Hi folks,
Anyone had any experience shipping a laptop overseas?
I have a company loaner laptop I need to return to Italy.
Will check with DHL when I can but any advice beforehand would be appreciated.
Thanks,
GN.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Shipping a laptop overseas

Post by StevePIraq »

Very simple, DHL will ship the laptop but not the battery. Your company will have to buy a new battery. I did this last year. Can't find the receipt so not sure how much it cost. Make sure your wrap the laptop really well to avoid damage. Take photos of it.
DHL is in Blueport lower level.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Thanks Steve. This sounds reasonable...
I thought there might be issues with export/customs..
Cheers,
GN.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

No problem at all if sending out of LOS
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:03 pm Very simple, DHL will ship the laptop but not the battery. Your company will have to buy a new battery. I did this last year. Can't find the receipt so not sure how much it cost. Make sure your wrap the laptop really well to avoid damage. Take photos of it.
DHL is in Blueport lower level.
Just as a side note. These days many laptops,like mine, have the battery built into the laptop. It is impossible to replace unless the actual laptop is opened with screwdrivers etc. How to send one of these??? If you open it normally warranty is voided, and bu opening you expose the internals and risk destroying something. Must be possible to send such a laptop too, or what?
YNWA
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

huahin4ever wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:40 pm Just as a side note. These days many laptops,like mine, have the battery built into the laptop. It is impossible to replace unless the actual laptop is opened with screwdrivers etc. How to send one of these??? If you open it normally warranty is voided, and bu opening you expose the internals and risk destroying something. Must be possible to send such a laptop too, or what?
Voiding the warranty is one of the prices you pay for batteries that can not be replaced by the user.

However, in many cases, they can. Did it to my laptop 2 months ago. Found youtube instructional videos. Bought the battery off ebay. Besides small screwdrivers, special tools are required. They were either shown or shown and described in the videos for my laptop. Most were plastic, one was metal. Search on 'spudger'. Seriously. You can buy variety sets. Cost 150-300 baht per set on Lazada.

If you've never seen a naked computer motherboard in all it's chip laden glory, don't even think about opening the case until you read about the effect of static electricity on such electronics.
albaker

Post by albaker »

What batteries are we talking about here , power or motherboard battery ?
Power batteries are no problem other than you may need a T5 screwdriver to open the retaining cover and usually the whole battery will come out , no problems whatever with static electricity . Mother board batteries are a different thing altogether and you would need to use non conductive material , plastic , and an earth strap for further protection .
If the motherboard battery be aware this will wipe computer , so make back up copies of files before attempting this .
albaker

Post by albaker »

Meant to add it does depend on battery type , see below .
Lithium batteries are classified as dangerous items for airmail, therefore, when shipping any device that uses a lithium battery (such as laptops, mobile phones, game consoles, digital cameras, etc.), the battery should be removed prior to shipping.
However, lithium batteries that meet the requirements set forth in Article 16 of the International Mailing Regulations can be shipped, so it is not necessary to remove lithium batteries from the devices before shipment. Please note that this exception only applies to some countries and territories.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Shipping a laptop overseas

Post by hhinner »

albaker wrote:What batteries are we talking about here , power or motherboard battery ?
Power batteries are no problem other than you may need a T5 screwdriver to open the retaining cover and usually the whole battery will come out , no problems whatever with static electricity . Mother board batteries are a different thing altogether and you would need to use non conductive material , plastic , and an earth strap for further protection .
If the motherboard battery be aware this will wipe computer , so make back up copies of files before attempting this .
Why would removing and replacing the motherboard battery wipe the computer? Never mind answering - it won't.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Stick to the point which is sending a laptop overseas. Lithium batteries are not accepted by DHL and I would imagine all other courier companies.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

ThaiPost will not ship Lipo batteries either. They x-ray and will not forward. Had it happen to me, so don't bother trying ThaiPost.

They at least refunded the shipping cost, minus fee to BKK........ :D
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

albaker

Re: RE: Re: Shipping a laptop overseas

Post by albaker »

hhinner wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:48 pm
albaker wrote:What batteries are we talking about here , power or motherboard battery ?
Why would removing and replacing the motherboard battery wipe the computer? Never mind answering - it won't.
Sorry but removing CMOS battery on a motherboard will reset BIOS to default , fact :tsk:
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Well I probably will never send my laptop in the mail or by express delivery anyway. But if I would they would probably refuse to do it. The battery is built into the laptop and it is a LiPO type battery.
YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As the phone and laptop makers ship their products after an on-line purchase via all modes of land and air transport, with a semi-charged battery in them, there must be a way to do it. The Fedex sheet above is a good example and I wouldn't think they are the only example. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source