Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by Big Boy »

I didn't realise it had ever been any higher than 90.

I know everybody moans about the safety videos when renewing licences (I've never sat through one yet), but I'd expect this to be the sort of basic information they'd tell us. Maybe we should sit and listen, rather than boast we were in and out in 30 minutes.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 pm Have you noticed the speed limits along the Klong Road. I don't normally speed these days, but you can't help it along there.
That's why there are no speed limit signs in a lot of other places; they have all been used up along the Klong Rd.
Every couple of hundred metres it changes to another speed!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Thailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:Have you noticed the speed limits along the Klong Road. I don't normally speed these days, but you can't help it along there.
60, 50, 30. A bit of a joke really. Especially as the 30 limits are nowhere near schools. But then the whole road marking system is crazy, e.g. solid lines between lanes.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There used to be large signs with silhouettes of different vehicles. Cars at the top and I'm sure that stated 110. The motorways are 120.

The speeding ticket I had last year on Rama II around Samut Sakhon stated exceeding the speed limit of 110.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:06 am There used to be large signs with silhouettes of different vehicles.
Like these:
speed-limits in thailand.jpg
speed-limits in thailand.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 627 times
I've only been driving here for 5 years, but I've never seen one with more than a 90 for cars.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yeh that's the type but I remember them being much bigger with twice those categories. Anyway, reducing speed limits are pointless unless they're enforced. The brand new signs on the Cha-am road in glorious bright yellow and couldn't be missed, didn't stop cars and pickups passing at a ton plus. Equally on Petchkasem Road through the town, 50 in the centre going to 60 as you move away from the centre. 40 over the flyover. The majority of drivers don't comply and the police are useless.
Speed cameras, although expensive, would surely pay for themselves quite quickly.
TIT!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Speed limits get any lower, walking will be faster. Lol
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 amI've only been driving here for 5 years, but I've never seen one with more than a 90 for cars.
The only motorway I use is highway 9 between highway 1 and Bang Na, and that is signposted the whole way at 120.

I came past Cha am earlier and noticed the sign just after leaving Cha am for 90 with the camera symbol. But that was the only one I noticed all the way to Hua Hin - or maybe I was driving to fast and missed them? :D
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: ThaiThailand speed limits to be halved?

Post by caller »

Norseman wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 pm Last week I was stopped by a High Way Police officer who could speak English.
He warned me that driving in 120 km pr hour wasn't in accordance with Thailand's laws, max speed limit on the motorways is 90 km pr hour so I was fined 200 Baht.
It seems to me that they do enforce the laws. This happened up in Korat BTW.
Ah, the local plod up there are back to their old tricks. A while back the police in Korat were shamed as they used to remove all identification from their uniforms and all such stops for the purpose of relieving bikes and car drivers of their hard earned Baht was stopped.

I have to hold my hands up for being stopped twice for speeding, which I was and duly handed over the 'fine'. I'm up there next month so I'll keep a look out
Talk is cheap
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Happened around halfway between Nong Ki and the light-crossing south of Nakhon Ratchasamima
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I agree with what others have said on here about reducing speed limits, in that it will not make any difference at all because there is nobody enforcing the law. Also, even if you do get stopped for speeding, the fines are too low to act as a deterrent. Sure, old Somchai the somtam maker may suffer a little bit from a 200 baht fine, but most Thais can afford to toss 200 baht in the bin.

Install speed cameras because cameras don't lie, and then confiscate the vehicles of anyone and everyone who gets caught speeding. Auction those vehicles, and then pump that money back into road maintenance and etc. A bit severe, but it would certainly get the message across.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Takiab-- Are you assuming that everybody who is caught speeding by the cameras, including Thais from "good" families will be fined. Oh no, the tapes will be reviewed and a fast DELETE will be performed.I think special plates for farang will have to be introduced.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I still think my earlier point that very few, if any of us actually know the speed limits is true. I say that I rarely speed these days, but the honest truth is I don't think I speed, but I don't know. I rely on my SatNav to tell me the speed limit. Unless I'm entering a restricted speed zone, it is purely guesswork if I get it right.

It is quite common on a short stretch of road for my SatNav to show speed limits varying between 90, 80 and 50Km/hr.

Another Thai road trait is they'll often tell you when you're entering a restricted speed area, but only once have I seen a sign that national speed limit applies (whatever that is) after that restriction.

Points 41; Position 18