Support Your Local UK Football Team

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Support Your Local UK Football Team

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not proud, I don't need a plastic football team. I'm a Plymouthian, born and bred, and my football team will always be Plymouth Argyle Football Club. Last season, I was delighted that they were available on live TV here so many times. However, last season was exception, and they were shown because of their on field success and a lucky FA Cup draw - those things don't happen very often.

Last week a friend gave me link, which was a dream come true https://www.efl.com/ifollow/international-fans . Basically, for £110 per season, I can have all of Plymouth's games streamed live to anywhere in the world except the UK. There are a couple of exceptions, but this is available for most lower league teams.

My only fear is the quality of the stream. I'm currently signed for some free behind the scenes video, and will judge the quality of that first.

I know I'm not the only sad person here who would rather watch their own team rather Manure, Spuds or the Arse each week, so thought I'd share it. At just £2.39 a match, that must be great value for money.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Support Your Local UK Football Team

Post by oakdale160 »

it annoys me on International Saturdays that they don't show a good Championship game.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They usually do, but I guess it depends upon who your provider is.

They even showed crap teams like Plymouth :cry: last season.

Points 41; Position 18
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

It annoys me that if you have supported one of these big teams, since you were ten or eleven and have done it throughout your life, some people think, you are not a real football fan. Just watched Arsenal in +36 C in Shanghai last Wednesday. And BTW I do go to watch the team I played for, whenever I have a chance. They are now in the Finland's 5th division after starting again after some years of non-existence from div. 6 (the lowest in my region) last year. (Wink)
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It's a form of 'inverse snobbery', BG.

I was born in Clapham, went to school in Horsham, lived near Hastings, in Bordeaux, in Dover, Folkestone, Pakistan, Lewisham, Guildford, Bangkok and Hua Hin, and am now equidistant from Sheffield, Doncaster and Nottingham.
Who the hell am I supposed to support in order to qualify as a non-plastic supporter?

I'll settle for supporting the same team since I was 9, frustrating though it has often been.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The OP was not a dig at those who pick a team and stay with it. As an example, 12 months ago there were Liecester City shirts where ever you looked. I wonder who they are supporting now? Who will they support next season?

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Getting back to the OP. I have not been too impressed with ifollow so far. Up until a couple of days ago, the app still didn't exist (I haven't looked since). I've written to them a few times - they should be politicians because they avoided the questions I asked.

I am supposed to be able to view some old stuff for free to prove the service, but everytime I try, I am asked to pay £110.

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

That is a good comment BB. Many many L City shirts to be seen in Thai when they were top of the pops, now zero---fair weather supporters
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

An update on the football app. The app is now available free of charge. I've just loaded the app onto my old Expat TV Android Box, and I've been testing it with a couple of free videos. There is some slight (and I mean very slight) buffering at the start of each video, and then it plays fine.

To obtain the app, go into your football team's website, and select ifollow. That will give you the name of the app. In my case it was Plymouth Argyle Official App. I then opened Play Store on my Android Box and downloaded it for free. Very easy.

I'm now deciding whether to buy. I'll keep testing periodically for a day, and then make a decision. At the moment, I'm 90% sure I'll pay my £110 for the service - it's looking great :D

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, I've done it. I've bought the package - fingers crossed that it works.

Actually, now that I've paid, and get full access, I can find out more about the system. I was worried about it streaming from the UK, but I now know that it will be relayed by MCOT here in Thailand. I've been watching the test videos and they're all fine.

So it's Plymouth Argyle all season in full HD - I'm quite excited. This is all the football fix I need. No more suffering Premiership prima donnas.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, how was it? It was a mixture of great and crap. When it was working,it was good, but the app crashed 8 times, requiring urgent uninstall and reinstall. It was damned annoying, but we didn't miss any goals.

I'm putting the crashes down to teething problems for now. I haven't complained yet, butwill do so, big time when I get home later.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Update.......

ifollow are proving to be as frustrating as hell. Numerous e-mails have passed between us. The problem is I explain the problem (with photographic evidence), and they reply saying they are sorry that I am having problems, could I explain what the problem is.

I am starting to lose patience with them.
Example of error message
Example of error message
DSC02677.jpg (84.13 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Further update to this debacle. After ifollow totally ignoring me for a few days, and me bombarding them with hasteners, they finally came back to me advising that their android app will only work on android devices. They did not consider an android box the be an android device :?

When installing, the app does display a message, 'checking for device compatibility' followed by 'compatible device found'.

I've explained to them that they have completely mislead the public in their use of the phrase 'android device'. They have come back to me asking why I don't play the service through my computer FFS :banghead: Their literature had originally stated it would only work through android, and web browsers were taboo.

I tested it via my laptop last night, and everything seems fine. I'm looking forward to an uninterrupted service tonight.

Normally, I'd have been using 'TIT' in a post like this, but this is the English Football League. There isn't even a language barrier.

Points 41; Position 18
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

A plastic supporter back in 1975 as a 15-year old. My first visit to Highbury. Sorry about the bad quality of the photo.
ars 2.JPG
ars 2.JPG (121.11 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - BG, I guess if the cap fits :wink:

Seriously, the plastic tag was not aimed at regular supporters. It was aimed at those who change their allegiance with the wind. I cited Leicester City as the perfect example. How many Leicester City fans appeared from nowhere, and have since disappeared so quickly? Looking at the league table they're all probably Manure supporters this week after being avid Chelsea supporters last season.

I actually feel guilty about being a Hua Hin City supporter as well as a Plymouth Argyle supporter these days, but at least I do actually follow both, and now I have this ifollow crap, I do get to watch both teams each week.

Points 41; Position 18