The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by Big Boy »

I enjoyed that - a fair result IMHO.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, a fair result although an empty feeling, as was evident in the stands as well. Like your date walking into her house and closing the door without a kiss! :laugh: You must admit though the Lions team we saw at the beginning of the tournament didn't resemble the one at the end in any way, shape or form. All this has been good for rugby and without a doubt, the All Blacks have work to do. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Cracking match - thoroughly enjoyed it! :thumb:

Glad to see the (unnecessary) penalty count improving - stand ot performances from Itoje and Jonathan Davies, but dissapointed with Farrell's performance despite his goal kicking.

Don't think the AB'ss have too much work to do though Pete. Yes, a fair few handling/unforced errors - certainly unusual for them, but the end of the day the still outscored us 2 tries to nil :roll: :banghead:

At the end of the day a very successful tour in my book (despite the amount of non-English players eh BB :naughty: :wink: ).

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:45 pm At the end of the day a very successful tour in my book (despite the amount of non-English players eh BB :naughty: :wink: ).

But think how much more successful it could have been. :run:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:59 pm
pharvey wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:45 pm At the end of the day a very successful tour in my book (despite the amount of non-English players eh BB :naughty: :wink: ).

But think how much more successful it could have been. :run:
touché :bow:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Seriously, it got better as the tournament moved on, and ended with 2 cracking matches.

Points 48; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:20 pm Seriously, it got better as the tournament moved on, and ended with 2 cracking matches.
Agreed - the final 2 tests were certainly "edge of your seat stuff". Pity the powers that be in the Rugby Union (Premiership) "regard the tour as outdated and a drain on their resources" - utter bollocks! :cuss: :banghead:

The AB's have actually threatend to pull out of tours should the B&I Lions tours come to an end - fair shout to them. :bow: I certainly hope nothing changes and am seriously thinking of making plans for a holiday in South Africa in 4 years time. :D

After all the cr@p he's had in the press (many portraying him as a clown), it was great to see how Gatland arrived at the post-match interview.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A bit of fun (and in 1 or 2 cases enlightenment)! :oops:

Keep having a few goes as it's not just limited to 5 questions.

http://tgr.ph/rugbyref

And if anyone wins and wishes to put down a UK address donating the TV to me....... :naughty: :wink:

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"Don't think the AB'ss have too much work to do though Pete. Yes, a fair few handling/unforced errors - certainly unusual for them,"......

The reason I commented is because I watch all of these guys play on a regular basis for the Super 15 teams. That's really the majority of rugby I get to see here on TV, along with NRL, and at this time of year English League. When I see them play in their home team groupings, things usually run like a Swiss watch. However, when they all came together against the Lions their usual fluid style of play and confidence didn't seem to be to the degree they're capable of. Yes, the Lions were a formidable foe and we may see the All Blacks performances return to what we're used to against less capable teams, we'll see. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think Read is anywhere near as capable as McCaw was as a field general and IMO it's hurting the All Blacks. He may be a great rugby player, but not a leader of men...again IMO. We may be getting close to the time for Steve Hansen to move on as well. There's some mention that Gatland may be his replacement down the road. I don't know if just rumor or there's something to it. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Fair comment regarding the more accurate/fluid style of play when playing for their provincial/club teams - obviously though, these guys are playing week-in week-out with eachother, so will undoubtedley benefit from that. Remember, the Lions were in the same situation and didn't have as much time together as th AB's - another reason I find this a fantastic feat. :thumb:

Comments regards to Read are a bit harsh IMHO Pete - no, he's no McCaw, but he has a wealth of experience (100 Caps) and the full respect of his players.

RE: Gatland, there has been talk for the last couple of years of him returning to NZ and ultimately I'm sure his goal is to coach the national side - it has to be the top honour for him. He's certainly not done his chances any harm after this tour! :bow:

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

For those following the southern hemisphere Super 15, below is the quarter final playoff schedule with associated article. Pete :cheers:

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/n ... confirmed/

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 07.22.08.png
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Should add some spice to the Pro 12 (14), but how the hell the logistics of this are going to work is another matter.. :shock: :roll:

"Cape Town - Reports emanating from Europe suggest that the Cheetahs and Southern Kings could play in the PRO12 competition as early as September this year.

Recent media reports have indicated that the two South African franchises excluded from Super Rugby could be added to the PRO12 - a European competition that currently includes club teams from Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales.

Super Rugby will be reduced from 18 to 15 teams from next year, with two teams from South Africa and one from Australia to get the boot.

While nothing has been made official, the general consensus is that the two South African teams excluded from the competition will be the Cheetahs and the Southern Kings.

On Friday, BBC Sport reported that the Cheetahs and Southern Kings are set to join the PRO12 in September.

The new 14-team format is set to start for the 2017-18 season, rather than the following year.

Meanwhile, there has also been speculation that the South African sides could play some of their home matches in the United Kingdom, with Saracens' Allianz Park mentioned as a potential venue.

The PRO12 clashes with South Africa's Currie Cup, which means that the defending champion Free State Cheetahs and the EP Kings - who play in the Currie Cup First Division - will be forced to field second string outfits."

Hope it all works out well for all involved...

That said, it seems there is a big downside (well, for me and fellow Welsh supporters at least) :cry: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... s-13338684
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, it's not only me that has reservations over the tow South African Franchises joing the Pro 12 (14).... :roll:

"With South African franchises Southern Kings and Cheetahs set to join the Guinness PRO12, the reaction on these shores has been understandably hestitant.

As the proposal of two split conferences and less derby matches upsets the applecart for the current 12 sides and their fans, it turns out that the South African media is not too thrilled with the idea of two of their sides playing in the northern hemisphere.

One journalist has dismissed the idea of the two jettisoned franchises going to "frolick in the northern hemisphere" as making "zero sense", while another believes there could be ramifications for otherwise "ignored and discarded black players".

However, it is not all doom and gloom with one journalist expecting success up north for the Cheetahs and Kings.

So, we take a look at what the South African media have made of it all..."

It's a fairly long article comprisesing several article from SA reporters, so I've simply posted the link: -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... t-13344477

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

More on the above - certainly looks like it's a done deal: -

"A deal to expand the Pro12 to 14 teams from next season has been agreed, BBC Scotland understands.

The South African sides Cheetahs and Southern Kings will join the league after losing their Super Rugby status.

The six-year deal is likely to benefit the league to the tune of an extra £6m per season from the South African Rugby Union and additional television income.

All elements of the deal have been agreed and, once legally ratified, could be formally announced next week.

The new Pro14 league will kick-off in the first week of September and will comprise two conferences of seven teams. Each conference will have one Scottish side, one South African side, one Italian side and two each from Wales and Ireland."

Full article here: - http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40649652

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Short off season for the two SAF sides. The commute is better though than the trip to/from NZ. The Sunwolves may face something like this in time if they don't improve. I don't know how many years Super 15 gives to new teams to reach a certain level of performance but I would imagine it must be no less than 5. Next season is 3 for the Sunwolves I think. Argentina is becoming competitive much more quickly than Japan. Pete :cheers: