The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by handdrummer »

Spitfire wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 3:18 pm Haha....I'd love to see what happens to the country if they blocked Facebook for a 4 days.
I might have a conversation with my wife. I hope they don't block face book.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I wish there was another site where people could ONLY post photos of kids birthday parties, people eating in expensive restaurants, at the gate at an airport etc. AND pictures of friends of theirs that I don't know doing the same.
buksida

Post by buksida »

FACEBOOK STANDS BY POLICY AS GOVT ULTIMATUM PASSES
Facebook will not block 131 items deemed defamatory to the monarchy by the government until it receives proper court warrants, an intermediary between the government and social media giant said Tuesday.

Facebook, used by nearly half the population of Thailand daily, was ordered by the military government to block the content or face legal action, or even outright shutdown. The chairwoman of a group of internet service providers, who serves as the intermediary, said the company has reiterated its policy for complying with such requests.

“They [Facebook] said the request to block 131 URLs lacked court orders in the documents, and they said that if the documents are completed, they will proceed with the requests,” Morakot Kulthamyothin, president of the Thai Internet Service Provider Association, said by telephone.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/n ... um-passes/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

wow, there are 131 mean things to say about the monarch, i can only think of about 80
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Authorities drop plan to block Facebook

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... k-facebook

The Digital Economy and Society Ministry has agreed to drop the plan to block Facebook access in Thailand after the social media network agreed to block more of the illicit posts requested by the ministry.

The US-based social network blocked 178 of all 309 posts the ministry requested as of Friday, according to Takorn Tansathit, secretary-general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC).

"We found Facebook did not block the remaining 131 posts because it has yet to receive the original court orders to block them. That's why Facebook didn't block all the posts by 10am on Tuesday," he said.

The NBTC and the ministry are satisfied with Facebook's cooperation, he added. "After Facebook received the original court orders, it blocked them within 24 hours."

The ministry will send the court orders for another 34 posts to Facebook on Tuesday, after which it expects the social network to block them within 24 hours, Mr Takorn said.

The ministry will also speed up coordinating with the Technology Crime Suppression Division to seek the court orders for the remaining 97 posts.

"We should be able to block all the illicit posts by this month," he said.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Blunder by Thai regulators sees Facebook escape legal action
THAILAND’s Internet regulators are rushing to secure official orders from the court to block the kingdom’s access to 131 “illicit” Facebook pages after the social media giant refused to act on its request until it received the legal documents.

According to Khaosod English, regulators admitted they had mistakenly assumed the orders were obtained when they threatened Facebook with criminal action last week if it failed to block the pages by 10am on Tuesday.

National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) secretary-general Takorn Tantasith, however, dismissed the slip-up as a minor error the authorities are now correcting.

“There was no misunderstanding, just a communication error,” he was quoted saying. “The ISPs got ahead of things by picking the links themselves from the ministry list.”

Facebook, said to be used daily by nearly half the Thai population, was still available in the kingdom after 10am on Tuesday despite threats access to the site would be blocked entirely should the 131 pages remain accessible.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/05/ ... ydGPQzk.97
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

you vill obey orders!!!!!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I am pleased that HHF has not deleted this thread. Keep to the technical guys!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Leaked ‘Facebook Files’ is humanity laid bare, flaws and everything
FACEBOOK’s been copping a lot of flak in recent weeks following the of release the company’s training manuals for moderators – dubbed the “Facebook Files”.

The documents, released by The Guardian, expose the secret rules and guidelines for deciding what its two billion users can post on the site, placing the social media giant at the centre of a global debate about ethics and censorship.

From its inception, Facebook has positioned itself as a bastion of free speech. But the leaked guidelines reflect an increasingly unrestrained, malicious and sordid online space that the media giant is struggling – and according to its critics, failing – to police.

The company set out with a mission to bring people together in a global community by “fostering an environment where everyone can openly discuss issues and express their views, while respecting the rights of others.”

A commendable notion, but the sad fact is – people don’t.

The documents portray a fairly bleak picture of our online community, detailing what is and is not permitted on the platform, covering graphic violence, bullying, hate speech, sexual content, terrorism and self-harm. It is jarring to see so many examples of human cruelty and depravity laid bare.

Evidently, photos of non-sexual physical abuse and bullying of children do not have to be deleted or “actioned” unless there is a sadistic or celebratory element. And comments such as “To snap a b***h’s neck, make sure to apply all your pressure to the middle of her throat” are left untouched as they are not deemed a credible threat, while “Someone shoot Trump” must be removed.

The ambiguous and sometimes questionable nature of the guidelines has left many people asking if Facebook’s users are comfortable with the lines the company has drawn and if the company can, and should, be doing more.

It’s clear that Facebook has an unprecedented challenge on its hands. It is a colossally tough call to define the parameters for the entire planet while sifting through reams of death and rape threats to figure out if the person means it.

The sheer scale of abuses means that all content cannot possibly be monitored. And spare a thought for the moderators who are tasked with overseeing this sewer of the most painful and hateful parts of human existence.

We are certainly within our rights to call on Facebook to do everything it can to minimise the reverberation of pain from these depraved acts, but what of the people committing them?

There is a level of responsibility that comes with the use of social media, just as there is in with any face-to-face interaction. We have been gifted an immensely powerful tool for human connection – and while the majority use it for good – many choose to use it to berate, humiliate and demean.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/05/ ... verything/
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Facebook is watching you, use at your peril.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39947942
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

14 months ago I quit facebook and I now have so much more time to do things that I enjoy.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

handdrummer wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:21 pm 14 months ago I quit facebook and I now have so much more time to do things that I enjoy.
Yet you track the time you've been clean. Kind of like a recovering addict. :roll:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

RCer wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:57 pm
handdrummer wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:21 pm 14 months ago I quit facebook and I now have so much more time to do things that I enjoy.
Yet you track the time you've been clean. Kind of like a recovering addict. :roll:
i recalled the time, I didn't track it. I don't keep track of the time I've been off face book. unless someone brings up the subject I don't think about face book and yes, I was an addict. I spent time daily reading face book. I don't consider recovering from addiction to be a fault.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Ihre papiere bitte

Ihre Papiere sind nicht in Ordnung
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
buksida

Post by buksida »

How social media filter bubbles and algorithms influence the election
One of the most powerful players in the British election is also one of the most opaque. With just over two weeks to go until voters go to the polls, there are two things every election expert agrees on: what happens on social media, and Facebook in particular, will have an enormous effect on how the country votes; and no one has any clue how to measure what’s actually happening there.

“Many of us wish we could study Facebook,” said Prof Philip Howard, of the University of Oxford’s Internet Institute, “but we can’t, because they really don’t share anything.” Howard is leading a team of researchers studying “computational propaganda” at the university, attempting to shine a light on the ways automated accounts are used to alter debate online.

“I think that there have been several democratic exercises in the last year that have gone off the rails because of large amounts of misinformation in the public sphere,” Howard said. “Brexit and its outcome, and the Trump election and its outcome, are what I think of as ‘mistakes’, in that there were such significant amounts of misinformation out in the public sphere.

“Not all of that comes from automation. It also comes from the news culture, bubbles of education, and people’s ability to do critical thinking when they read the news. But the proximate cause of misinformation is Facebook serving junk news to large numbers of users.”

Emily Taylor, chief executive of Oxford Information Labs and editor of the Journal of Cyber Policy, agreed, calling Facebook’s effect on democratic society “insidious”. Taylor expressed similar reservations about fake news being spread on social media, (a term Howard eschews due to its political connotations, preferring to describe such sources as “false”, “junk” or simply “bad”), but she added there was a “deeper, scarier, more insidious problem: we now exist in these curated environments, where we never see anything outside our own bubble … and we don’t realise how curated they are.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... er-bubbles