Demolition of restaurants + shops in Poon Suk road

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Demolition of restaurants + shops in Poon Suk road

Post by oakdale160 »

They will go for sure, actually they are almost all on life-support since the 88 night mkt got going. this has been discussed on the forum in the context of the railway improving its tracks
butch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by butch »

my wife had one of the orginal restaurants there. paid 2 thousand baht a month. they became the busiest one in that row because my wife spoke English. it was a jointly owned with her older sister. ok figure it out yet? she did all the work and sister spent all the money. usual crap thai deal. wife worked 14-16 hour days, 7 days a week with 10% of profits. she left and that was it for restaurant. took a week for it to sink into oblivion.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not sure if we are talking about the temple wall or Railway Road. Can we keep this thread about the temple wall businesses please?
:offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

I'm not sure what the 'temple wall' has to do with 'Re:Demolition of restaurants + shops in Poon Suk road'???
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

i guess they feel it insults their holy place, i dont think that parisseans would like restaurants up against Notre Dame or British people like them up against Westminster Abbey or other churches..
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

oakdale160 wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 6:18 am i guess they feel it insults their holy place, i dont think that parisseans would like restaurants up against Notre Dame or British people like them up against Westminster Abbey or other churches..
Yes, McDonald's is causing similar problems at the Vatican:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vatican-mcd ... rsy-italy/
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Demolition of restaurants + shops in Poon Suk road

Post by hhinner »

Geko wrote:I'm not sure what the 'temple wall' has to do with 'Re:Demolition of restaurants + shops in Poon Suk road'???
Because that's where the demolitions of structures built on public land are taking place. Possibly nothing to do with the temple at all.

BB's earlier post (in Thai and English) also referred to beer bars selling alcohol so close to a temple. This, of course, is an extremely sinful thing to do - according to the junta's long ago pronouncements, which people may have assumed were by now forgotten.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I was down there today and spoke to one of the owners. The buildings that have been demolished were built without permits and did not comply with the codes for that specific location. They can be rebuilt however they have to be temporary buildings, i.e no permanent roofs and walls so they have to have canopies. More like market stalls.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 4:33 pm I was down there today and spoke to one of the owners. The buildings that have been demolished were built without permits and did not comply with the codes for that specific location. They can be rebuilt however they have to be temporary buildings, i.e no permanent roofs and walls so they have to have canopies. More like market stalls.
Fantastic, alike 16 yrs. ago we will piss in the wat compound.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ The good old days!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It does make you wonder why this is being addressed now? After all, they have been there for several years. A bit like the places facing the sea. And seemingly, although we don't know for certain, no-one has really been fussed by them being there.

I maybe wrong, but with all the drivel about street food in Bangkok and other issues that the junta felt a need to get involved in because they can, I'm just beginning to feel the pressure of a big brother is at work here. Be interesting to see if any other areas are subject to intervention in the coming months.
Talk is cheap
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

Which restaurants on Poonsuk have been demolished, those on the left after the mini night market? The food in Monnsmile and Platoo was always good.
Any news about the shops and restaurants on Naresdamri from the fishing pier to the chinese temple, I heard they were scheduled for demolition. I know that Sang Thai pulled the plug several months ago.
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

Ooops, sorry but I missed the first 3 pages. :)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Gus wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:26 pm Any news about the shops and restaurants on Naresdamri from the fishing pier to the chinese temple, I heard they were scheduled for demolition. I know that Sang Thai pulled the plug several months ago.
I drove past earlier. The piers still seem open but most of everything else has shut. I saw a sign that Old Germany has relocated, or is relocating to Soi80. It was closed anyhow.
Talk is cheap
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

caller wrote:
I saw a sign that Old Germany has relocated, or is relocating to Soi80.
Theo, a long time friend of mine, who owns Old Germany, had photos of the new location on his facebook page. I think, it has opened on soi 80 already.