Road Closure Soi 88 Railway Crossing to Station

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Road Closure Soi 88 Railway Crossing to Station

Post by Big Boy »

Me too :laugh:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I wonder if the planners took into account the Thai propensity to park their bikes with no consideration of others. Went west across the railway going into 88 and the two lanes on the western side of the roundabout had been reduced to one by the bikes parked at the roadside.
When going the other way from 88 across the railway and into the one way soi for access to the rear entrance to MV the road markings seem to not allow for this (but it did not stop me).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Gregjam wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:05 pm When going the other way from 88 across the railway and into the one way soi for access to the rear entrance to MV the road markings seem to not allow for this (but it did not stop me).
From Petchkasem, the first thing you see is an arrow directing you left.
one_way_1.jpg

Then the lane conveniently splits into 2, with a solid bold line indicating traffic wanting to cross the railway should give way to traffic coming along Railway Road,.
one_way_2.jpg

Coming around the roundabout and across the crossing, you can see a break in the hashed grid, where you wait until there is a gap.
one_way_3.jpg

This is actually some of the best line painting I've seen in Thailand (now that it's fixed).

Points 41; Position 18
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

It looks pretty good to me just by watching the videos. My take on this is that it looks like an improvement. As it was previously prior to all the road work, it couldn't get any worse. Before it was only "each to their own". At least now they are trying to make some sense of how the intersection should work. I guess time will tell, and TIT etc etc etc.....
YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sorry to take you back to the last video again, but did anybody notice the worker's rail truck at the beginning go through without the barriers dropping? OK, not a full blown train, but I rarely look if the barriers are up - quite dangerous IMHO.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Went around the roundabout today coming from the canal road (that links soi94). Quite clearly signed and very straightforward going around the roundabout to join the 'railway road'. The car behind me went the wrong way around therefore taking a short cut across the railway line. I was impressed that there are a couple of guys watching out for these idiots. The car was stopped and was obviously being told that he has to go clockwise (based on the waving of arms). Simple signage seem to be lost with some people.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sorry guys, I said no more videos, but a video is better than a 1,000 words.

This is the 2nd time I've encountered this manoeuvre in as many days (I've used the new roundabout 3 times in 2 days). HHTel's man with the waving arms seems to have given up, or was having a siesta somewhere. FFS, why don't they put a police officer who knows how roundabouts work (a tall order?) on duty here, instead of doing something important like boosting the tea fund?

[Edit] Maybe the problem is they've put up Give Way signs, but no Roundabout signs. He was turning right, so didn't bother looking left because traffic from that direction was going around the roundabout :?

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They need to put a fountain or some kind of statue/pole/flower box thing in the middle to get everyone's attention, and the roundabout signs of course. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, I might be doing them an injustice. It's written in Thai, and I assumed it said Give Way. Maybe one of our resident clever guys can tell us what the Thai fonts actually says.
sign.jpg
I note the paint on the road doesn't even suggest there is a right turning.

Points 41; Position 18
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Re: RE: Re: Road Closure Soi 88 Railway Crossing to Station

Post by Ralfredo »

Big Boy wrote:FFS, why don't they put a police officer who knows how roundabouts work (a tall order?) on duty here
They have to find such a guy first... ;-)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My wife says the sign says to wait (give way) and the longer phrase says that vehicles on the roundabout have priority.

Just to correct that. Vehicles coming from the right have priority. Same, same but different!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:thumb: My daughter has just said the same (sorry, I missed your post).

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I thank that three assumptions are being made here that the chances of more than one of them applying to the majority of Thai drivers is very slim.

1) that they can read Thai
2) that they know what the sign means
3) that they even looked at the sign in the first place

The list could no doubt be added to but that would fit well into other topics already created.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:My wife says the sign says to wait (give way) and the longer phrase says that vehicles on the roundabout have priority.

Just to correct that. Vehicles coming from the right have priority. Same, same but different!
Right the first time - let vehicles on the roundabout go first.

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

hhinner wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:17 am
HHTel wrote:My wife says the sign says to wait (give way) and the longer phrase says that vehicles on the roundabout have priority.

Right the first time - let vehicles on the roundabout go first.
Both mean the same of course. My wife says that it doesn't mention roundabout but to give way to traffic from the right.