Road Closure Soi 88 Railway Crossing to Station

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Road Closure Soi 88 Railway Crossing to Station

Post by handdrummer »

the way it works is this: the Thai govt. has a problem that needs solving, they send a team, usually politicians, to what ever country they deem has the answer. they study the answer, come back to Thailand and do the opposite. hence; Thailand, the land of everything backwards. Thailand's real treasure is it's women and cost of living compared to the west.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

In fairness, the US has rarely used roundabouts for traffic control. Recently several states have started building them and they have found that a HUGE public info program was needed as many US motorists were confused.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thousands of roundabouts have been built in the States and the percentage reductions in accidents are huge. An interesting article in the NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/31/auto ... .html?_r=0
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Crossed over the 'new' traffic crossing on soi 88 this morning. The roundabout is almost complete. It will be a spectacle to watch when it goes 'live'. Think I'll get a beer or two and watch the fiasco when it happens. It will be entertainment at it's best!
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

If it works as well as the one at the mouth of soi 112 it will be a big improvement. The main problem I see at Soi 112 is the traffic coming down Soi 112 from the west think they have the right-of-way when in reality they have a Stop Sign, which is way off to the side so most simply ignore it and charge out into the roundabout. Makes for a dangerous situation for those entering the roundabout from the north and south.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

I was down there watching earlier this morning. Cars can't use it yet but bikes are still taking their own route(s). As an aside to this but still part of if............. surely the are going to need another small roundabout on the eastern side of the crossing to cater for the traffic coming from railway road and up 88 from Petchkasem. Just a thought :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just driven through there. To me, the positioning seems to be to the side of where it needs to be. Quite funny, there's already a sign on it directing the traffic the wrong way round to get to Market Village. TIT I guess :laugh:

The way I've seen it (not sure if everybody else saw it the same way, but cars and bikes used to get out of the way :oops: ). Traffic coming down the hill, between the 2 7-11s had the right of way to the crossing. OK, they will still have right of way over traffic coming down the hill from Soi 88, but the 7-11 traffic will have to turn left to get onto the roundabout.

Who will have right of way for traffic coming along the railway from the Soi 94 area? In the past it was basically a crossroads, but putting the roundabout where they have, The traffic coming along the railway from the Soi 94 area will already be on the road that the 7-11 traffic will have to turn left on to.

As HHTel says, this could be popcorn moment :popcorn:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:idea: There has long been talk of Hua Hin needing a webcam. What an interesting site this could be, especially when combined with idiots running the rail crossing.

Points 41; Position 18
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I hope someone, if possible, could make a few picture to show how it looks, how it looks when complete? An overview would be nice.
YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No photos as such, but here's a still from my dashcam going down the hill, between the 2 7-11s. You will see the rail crossing in front of you, but no sign of the roundabout, which is over to the left.
Round.jpg
I'll be down that way soon. I'll post the dashcam footage.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, I know I can't spell 'direction' :oops: , but here's the video.

Actually, I know it's mid-morning, but traffic is flowing around the roundabout quite nicely :shock:

It look as though my fears about traffic from the Soi 94 direction were well founded.

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

They still have to install the permanent cones and painted tires.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 pm OK, I know I can't spell 'direction' :oops: , but here's the video.

Actually, I know it's mid-morning, but traffic is flowing around the roundabout quite nicely :shock:

It look as though my fears about traffic from the Soi 94 direction were well founded.
Nice video. I thought the roundabout was east of the railway line, so this video was very informative. Keep posting updates as they progress, since I'm out of country working now and really like to keep track of the progress.
YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No problem. I often go that way. If I remember, I'll post another similar video in a week's time.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I came up Soi 88 from Petchkasem across the roundabout and between the 7-11s.

They have painted road markings now, and I got the distinct impression that I was not allowed between the 7-11s and had to go right or left. However, unlike yesterday, somebody gave way, so I did what didn't feel right.

I'll review the dashcam footage later, and if the road markings are clear, you can all decide whether my driving has gone native with today's manoeuvre. :oops:

Points 41; Position 18