Bluport wine/beer bar - drinks + 10pct service + 7pct VAT on top.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Bluport wine/beer bar - drinks + 10pct service + 7pct VAT on top.

Post by 404cameljockey »

Wife and I needed a rest waiting for the rest of our party to finish shopping, and so collapsed on seats at Peppina bar. Looks a rip off place I thought, but I need a beer.

130 chips for a Singa, and I knew it would be a small one too, but what the hell. Wife took a glass of Pinot Grigio at 340 Baht. I thought well, it's a one-off so OK.

The bill comes and there's a further 17 pct added on top of the menu prices. 470 Baht becomes 553 Baht without blinking. On complaining the manager directs my attention to the TINIEST possible type at the bottom of the menu warning that their prices are not what you will actually pay. It's so small I can't read it without glasses which I didn't have. You will definitely miss it without having your attention drawn to it. I consider this shoddy sales technique beyond belief. Dishonest to hide it like that. Considering the number of 'older' residents here, they must make a fortune hooking people like that.

I only was at Bluport because we have visitors who wanted to go there. :cuss:
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Bluport wine/beer bar - drinks + 10pct service + 7pct VAT on top.

Post by caller »

On another thread I mentioned how I was ripped off at Peppina's, by being required to pay a service charge for a take-away pizza! I was told restaurants are meant to display this elsewhere, but aside from the take away pizza rip-off, many places sell meals exclusive of VAT and service charge. I don't mind as long as I know. It's not exclusive to Bluport.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote:On another thread I mentioned how I was ripped off at Peppina's, by being required to pay a service charge for a take-away pizza! I was told restaurants are meant to display this elsewhere, but aside from the take away pizza rip-off, many places sell meals exclusive of VAT and service charge. I don't mind as long as I know. It's not exclusive to Bluport.
Yes I'm not complaining that they do it, although I do dislike it. I'm complaining that the notice is in really minuscule type at the bottom of the menu. Obviously hiding it as much as they are allowed. Shoddy.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote:Shoddy.
I agree and I haven't been there since and to rub salt in the wound, the pizza was crap as well!
Talk is cheap
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Simply ask first if include, and not all residents in the HH area are the 'more experienced in life', mostly just the expats............
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

404cameljockey wrote:
caller wrote:On another thread I mentioned how I was ripped off at Peppina's, by being required to pay a service charge for a take-away pizza! I was told restaurants are meant to display this elsewhere, but aside from the take away pizza rip-off, many places sell meals exclusive of VAT and service charge. I don't mind as long as I know. It's not exclusive to Bluport.
Yes I'm not complaining that they do it, although I do dislike it. I'm complaining that the notice is in really minuscule type at the bottom of the menu. Obviously hiding it as much as they are allowed. Shoddy.
According to my girlfriend, who works in a hotel... If prices are listed in the format "xxx.-bt" (price, comma, dash at the end) it means tax is included already (and I guess service is discretionary- ie the tip system). Obviously if it's listed as "xxx++" then it's already reasonably clearly marked that you need to allow for 7%+10%. If it's not marked either way then it's best to check at the bottom of the menu.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Pleng wrote:
404cameljockey wrote:
According to my girlfriend, who works in a hotel... If prices are listed in the format "xxx.-bt" (price, comma, dash at the end) it means tax is included already (and I guess service is discretionary- ie the tip system). Obviously if it's listed as "xxx++" then it's already reasonably clearly marked that you need to allow for 7%+10%. If it's not marked either way then it's best to check at the bottom of the menu.
So that would mean tax is included at 90% of restaurants such as night market, beach road etc.

I really do object to this practice and once it happens I never go back, S&P used to be a fav of ours we have long stopped going due to the 17% added on. I don't have a receipt available but is it actual Cost plus 10% then plus 7% if so this is more than 17% as you are then paying 7% on the 10%?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I wonder how much of the "service charge" gets in the server/cooks pockets
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Zip, nil it will all go to the company as it is a billed item not discretionary
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

StevePIraq wrote: So that would mean tax is included at 90% of restaurants such as night market, beach road etc.
If they have a dash after the price, then yes. Presumably you can ask for a tax receipt in these cases?? :D
StevePIraq wrote:Zip, nil it will all go to the company as it is a billed item not discretionary
This much is incorrect. The amount billed as 'service charge' is distributed amongst the staff.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Not according to my wifes two nieces who work at different restaurants in BP, they only get their salary and any cash left on the table by customers is shared amongst all staff, ALL of the bill has to go in the till
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is why I oppose a Service Charge - 10% is a fair lump of the bill, but you don't know what you're paying for. In your case it's clearly not for the service provided by the waitresses. Maybe it's a reward to the owners for employing staff who give good service.

Can anybody say in simpleton terms what we pay that 10% for?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ BB, to you really think you are going to get an authoritative answer to that question here? We have all ready had one who says it goes to the staff and another who says it does not. Indeed, they might both be correct depending on the place of business.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I actually thought I might. I was not asking about reality. I was asking, "Can anybody say in simpleton terms what we pay that 10% for?"

If all of these restaurants are charging for it, surely somebody must know what they are supposedly paying an extra 10% for.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

I have always objected to obligatory service charge. It should be at your discretion. Places that apply it I do not tip unless I know that the service charge is not going to the staff; Which it should IMO. Also, if it is applied, it should be clearly stated on the menus not in fine print that you don,t even notice. Personally if I had a restaurant I would factor it into my pricing and use it to reward my staff for good performance. Happy customers are repeat customers and recommend others. Unhappy customers tell others :roll:

Crazy 88