Solid wood floor vs Engineered wood floor

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Owen
Novice
Novice

Re: Solid wood floor vs Engineered wood floor

Post by Owen »

I'm on a work computer, so can't change the settings. But I'll definitely call to showroom for a look. Other companies I looked at where in Chang Mai or Phuket. I won't be in those places anytime soon so was happy to find arrow-wood company in Hua Hin. At least to look at the product physically, another poster mentioned Siam Teak. Really at this stage I'm just looking, termite issue is obviously a deterent
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Siam Old Teak http://www.huahinmedia.com/siamoldteak.php will usually give you a no obligation quote.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Owen
Novice
Novice

Post by Owen »

AJBangkok wrote:Have you checked out the arrow wood factory and showroom in Hua Hin? It's run by a Dutch guy and pretty much all of his product is exported to Europe but he does sell locally. I visited there a couple of months go and his engineered hardwood is some of the nicest I have seen. I decided to go with tiles in the end but if I was to go wood I would have bought his stuff. I would rate it exceptional versus the stuff you see at boonthavorn including their highest end product made by I think Thai German.

The factory and showroom is about 15 minutes from Hua Hin up soi 88 there is a map on http://www.arrow-wood.com.
Do you mind me asking? Why did you decide against engineered flooring? And excuse my ignorance but what or where is Boothavorn?
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AJBangkok »

Owen wrote:
AJBangkok wrote:Have you checked out the arrow wood factory and showroom in Hua Hin? It's run by a Dutch guy and pretty much all of his product is exported to Europe but he does sell locally. I visited there a couple of months go and his engineered hardwood is some of the nicest I have seen. I decided to go with tiles in the end but if I was to go wood I would have bought his stuff. I would rate it exceptional versus the stuff you see at boonthavorn including their highest end product made by I think Thai German.

The factory and showroom is about 15 minutes from Hua Hin up soi 88 there is a map on http://www.arrow-wood.com.
Do you mind me asking? Why did you decide against engineered flooring? And excuse my ignorance but what or where is Boothavorn?
I decided to go for a very modern look, almost anesthetic, I am tiling all the floors with large format tiles and I imported some super large format 1m x 3m tiles from Italy and I will tile all the walls with them. Wooden floors would be too warm for the look I want to achieve. Also the house is designed to maximize outdoor living so tiles will hold up better with people traipsing from outside to inside all day.

Boonthavorn is the large home improvement store on the left hand side just as you exit town when going north to Cha Am.
Owen
Novice
Novice

Post by Owen »

AJBangkok wrote:
Owen wrote:

I decided to go for a very modern look, almost anesthetic, I am tiling all the floors with large format tiles and I imported some super large format 1m x 3m tiles from Italy and I will tile all the walls with them. Wooden floors would be too warm for the look I want to achieve. Also the house is designed to maximize outdoor living so tiles will hold up better with people traipsing from outside to inside all day.

Boonthavorn is the large home improvement store on the left hand side just as you exit town when going north to Cha Am.
Thanks for that, sounds like a good project your doing there. I'm also changing a few things around the house, windows doors, kitchen etc. Hence the post about wood vs engineered floors. I'll check out Boonthavorn, never been there.
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AJBangkok »

If you make a trip to Bangkok visit their store on Ratchadpiesek ( MRT station sutisarn) it has a lot wider variety of things than Hua Hin and sometimes you can get better discounts if they are discontinuing a line. I just bought 400 m2 of porcelanosa tiles for my outside deck that they were discontinuing at a huge discount from the original list price. They deliver free to Hua Hin for orders over 15k

For windows I used Prime Asia for Upvc windows. They are the best windows I've ever owned.

For doors I'm having difficulty finding a front door. I want something modern but the only ones I have found are at a truly crazy price. The problem is that they are the best doors I have ever seen in Thailand so anything I see now pales in comparison.
Owen
Novice
Novice

Post by Owen »

Thanks I'll do that we were stopping in Bangkok anyway for a few nights there was other stores I wanted to look at and now Boothavorn!!
I did little research on uPVC windows and 1 that got mentioned a few times was Prime Asia as you say and the other was ARC windows. Both had good reports, see what either price proposal they produce and decide then I suppose. Liked Prime Asia website for what it's worth.

Anyway thanks again
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Post by AJBangkok »

If you go to the blog page on the prime Asia web site the first article is a video of swing and slide doors. I had 7 sets of these installed last month with the largest 2 sets being 2.8m high by 7m wide. My project manager said that the prime Asia installation crew were one of the most professional he has worked with and personally I found that dealing with them was a pleasure. They worked with me a little on price after a bit of arm twisting and delivered and installed everything on schedule.