Do you use your phone while driving.

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.

Do you use your phone while driving or riding, tell the truth

Yes
17%
No
40%
Hands free only
43%

Total votes: 35

StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Do you use your phone while driving.

Post by StevePIraq »

In Thailand it is very common to use a mobile phone while driving or riding. Do you do this, I seriously hope not

"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
PeteC

Re: Do you use your phone while driving.

Post by PeteC »

I think cars without Bluetooth systems are slowly becoming extinct. With Bluetooth you can talk, but leave the beep-beep, bing-bing notifications alone until you're stopped/parked.

I don't know but maybe some real upper end cars display incoming media messages on the car video screen? Not good at all if they do and I hope there's a way to turn it off. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: The poll should distinguish between Bluetooth and non-Bluetooth.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It will be 10 years or more before all cars without hands free functionality are off the roads
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I didn't know cars here had bluetooth. Nobody seems to use it. But then again, its hard to text hands-free.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

My pickup truck has full hands free bluetooth and as soon as I turn on the ignition it links up with the phone. No buttons to press to answer, phone calls are answered automatically and I can end the call with a button on the steering wheel so yes I do use the phone while driving but no, I do not actually touch the phone in the process.
A lot of people have bluetooth headphones which can also be considered hands free.
While I acknowledge that holding a conversation on the phone does distract you from your driving to a degree I have never heard anyone mentioning that holding a conversation with other passengers is also considerably distracting and you cannot easily cut them off.
With the amount of advice/criticism that comes from the passenger seat in many cars I sometimes think it would be great to have a separate drivers section like the London taxis or routemaster buses so the driver can concentrate on the road. Or listen to the music he/she wants rather than the kids(c)rap music etc.
I would imagine that hands free is perhaps not popular with many here as should the mia noi phone at an inconvenient time all in the car can hear the conversation!!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Never have and never would, but then again, I only use my phone a few times a year for calls, although I do use it for reading the news and etc. when out on my own drinking a beer.

Personally, I think phones should automatically be disabled once you start the engine. Check Facebook when you are not behind the wheel. :duck:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What's the problem? This guy doesn't have one:

I've recently posted something similar happening in Thailand a couple of days ago on my Facebook page.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Takiap wrote: Personally, I think phones should automatically be disabled once you start the engine. Check Facebook when you are not behind the wheel. :duck:
best suggestion ever :bow:
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Bit hard if you are drinking a beer and smoking when it rings so I just pull over and call them back. Should really have a law against motorbike riders texting whilst riding if there are more than 3 people on the bike IMO. :wink:

Crazy 88
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Takiap wrote:Personally, I think phones should automatically be disabled once you start the engine. Check Facebook when you are not behind the wheel. :duck:

I've been saying the same thing for years. Then there is that whole civil rights thing.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Unfortunately I need to receive calls, hands free, when driving. I always explain that I'm driving and either promise to phone back or keep the call very short. I have never actually initiated a call when driving.

Even hands free you are distracted from the task at hand (driving safely).
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Quite amazing the number of views (374) on this topic but so few respond, one can only assume most others do use their phone when driving/riding
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bristolian wrote:Unfortunately I need to receive calls, hands free, when driving. I always explain that I'm driving and either promise to phone back or keep the call very short. I have never actually initiated a call when driving.
OK, I know I'm old and living in the dark ages, but whenever I see this statement (and many people have made it), I wonder how we managed before mobiles.

I was involved in huge logistic operations during my time in MOD. We managed fine. Yes it could take half an hour before somebody came to the phone, but it rarely stopped us. Even well into the Millennium we were managing mainly on land lines, and answer machines. I wonder what can't wait just a little bit longer.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: Do you break the law while driving.

Post by Geko »

Should change 'Subject'
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

BB everything can wait until you stop it's only people who cannot wait