Hua Hin declared as a rabies stricken state

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Hua Hin declared as a rabies stricken state

Post by Ratsima »

I got the series of five shots this year after being bitten up near Lake View golf course. The shots were not painful nor were there any side effects. I got the first two at the clinic in Cha Am, the next at the health center near my home in Korat, another at the clinic in Don Mueang (on the way to Phuket for diving) and the final in Korat. Even though these were all government clinics, the price varied wildly; from free in Korat to about 1000 baht at Don Mueang.

After reading quite a bit, it's still not clear to me what I need to get next time.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

If an animal is in advanced stages of rabies where they are pretty much in a blind rage, would even a direct hit with a solid pole in any way deter them?
Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

Anyone know where to get rabies jabs in or around Hua Hin and how much ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin declared as a rabies stricken state

Post by hhinner »

Happychappy wrote:Anyone know where to get rabies jabs in or around Hua Hin and how much ?

Red Cross used to do rabies shots, so probably still does. The hospitals will also provide vaccination. Hua Hin hospital would be the cheapest. Sorry, no idea of actual charges. I assume this is for you, not your dog. :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, certainly Hua Hin Hospital - my daughter was bitten by a rat whilst in bed a few months ago. She had to go for a course of jabs - very efficient. A special clinic set up just for jabs. I can't advise on cost, because she's on the 30 Baht scheme.

For anybody worried about the rat, it died :shock:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Is there actually a vaccine for rabies now? Does it mean that when vaccinated and if bitten by a rabid animal the series of jabs after-the-fact are not needed? All I have heard of in recent years is that if bitten the series of shots that used to have to go directly into the stomach lining and very painful, have been replaced by a set of three shots that can go into the arm or leg. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My daughter had the shots into her arm.

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

prcscct wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:49 pm Is there actually a vaccine for rabies now? Does it mean that when vaccinated and if bitten by a rabid animal the series of jabs after-the-fact are not needed? All I have heard of in recent years is that if bitten the series of shots that used to have to go directly into the stomach lining and very painful, have been replaced by a set of three shots that can go into the arm or leg. Pete :cheers:
according a danish vaccine institute you can get a vaccine with 3 shots on day 0-8 and 28, but it also say that if you get bitten you have to go to the hospital to get some further treatment :shock: ,and Im sure you will be treated with the full packet here, so maybe a waste of money,I dont know :cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This article seems to sum up what and when: https://www.vaccines.gov/diseases/rabies/

Rabies is a preventable viral disease of mammals most often transmitted through the bite of a rabid animal. The vast majority of rabies cases reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) each year occur in wild animals like raccoons, skunks, bats, and foxes.

Rabies vaccine is given to people at increased risk of rabies to protect them if they are exposed. It can also prevent the disease if it is given to a person after they have been exposed.

Rabies vaccine is made from killed rabies virus. It cannot cause rabies.

Preventive Vaccination (No Exposure)
People at increased risk of exposure to rabies, such as veterinarians, animal handlers, rabies laboratory workers, spelunkers, and rabies biologics production workers should be offered rabies vaccine.

The vaccine should also be considered for:

People whose activities bring them into frequent contact with rabies virus or with possibly rabid animals.
International travelers who are likely to come in contact with animals in parts of the world where rabies is common.
The pre-exposure schedule for rabies vaccination is three doses, given at the following times:

1st dose: As appropriate
2nd dose: 7 days after the first dose
3rd dose: 21 days or 28 days after the first dose
For laboratory workers and others who may be repeatedly exposed to rabies virus, periodic testing for immunity is recommended, and booster doses should be given as needed. Testing or booster doses are not recommended for travelers. Ask your doctor for details.

Vaccination After an Exposure
Anyone who has been bitten by an animal, or who otherwise may have been exposed to rabies, should clean the wound and see a doctor immediately. The doctor will determine if they need to be vaccinated.

A person who is exposed and has never been vaccinated against rabies should get four doses of rabies vaccine - one dose right away, and additional doses on the third, seventh and fourteenth days. They should also get another shot called Rabies Immune Globulin at the same time as the first dose.

A person who has been previously vaccinated should get two doses of rabies vaccine - one right away and another on the third day. Rabies Immune Globulin is not needed.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

hhinner wrote:
Happychappy wrote:Anyone know where to get rabies jabs in or around Hua Hin and how much ?

Red Cross used to do rabies shots, so probably still does. The hospitals will also provide vaccination. Hua Hin hospital would be the cheapest. Sorry, no idea of actual charges. I assume this is for you, not your dog. :)
Ha ha yes thanks

Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

Big Boy wrote:Yes, certainly Hua Hin Hospital - my daughter was bitten by a rat whilst in bed a few months ago. She had to go for a course of jabs - very efficient. A special clinic set up just for jabs. I can't advise on cost, because she's on the 30 Baht scheme.

Thanks

Happychappy
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Happychappy »

Happychappy wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Yes, certainly Hua Hin Hospital - my daughter was bitten by a rat whilst in bed a few months ago. She had to go for a course of jabs - very efficient. A special clinic set up just for jabs. I can't advise on cost, because she's on the 30 Baht scheme.

Thanks

30 Baht scheme ?

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, my daughter is a Thai national, so only pays 30 Baht per visit.

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But will the authorities do anything to get rid of these soi/wild dogs, no not a chance.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

This issue should be treated as a simple public health problem and action taken in accordance with that.

It's not about whether the 'poor fluffy Fido' should be given carte blanche to do as it wants by the over zealous bleeding heart brigade, it's about protecting children and others from feral beasts.

There is a distinction between the two and one should be tolerated/accepted and the other situation 'fixed'...nuff said.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol