Learning to play the Guitar

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Learning to play the Guitar

Post by Terry »

My eldest son aged 8 wants a guitar for Christmas.

No problem with this, as I believe that playing any musical instrument is a wonderful skill to acquire.

Question

What type of guitar (Acoustic?)

How much should I pay and where to buy for a 'first' guitar ?

Thanks
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

An acoustic is prob the best way to go as a classical guitar has a very broad fret board and an electric means you have to buy an amp, the people in your street won't like that very much....!
You should be able to buy one for between 1000 - 2000. Don't go for a really cheap one as the action (string height) will be so high your son will be put off as it will be so hard to play.
www.35mmview.com
caducus

Post by caducus »

I agree with the previous poster that an acoustic guitar would be the most suitable for a beginner to start on.

I also agree that it should not be too cheap and have low 'action'.

One way to test action and straightness of the neck is to press a string at the tenth fret (not that a beginner will be playing in that area). It should be easy to push the string down on to the fingerboard. You can also check the straightness of the neck by looking back from the tenth fret and checking that the neck is not bowed.

I would consider between one and two thousand baht to be a bit on the cheap side for a half-decent playable guitar. A Yamaha at about four thousand should fit the bill. It's also best to buy from a guitar shop rather than a shop that happens to sell guitars. In Hua Hin there is such a shop on the main road heading south - it's two or three kilometers from the second set of lights in the town centre and on the right hand side.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

While the acoustic has a narrower neck and a longer fretboard, it also has steel strings which can be quite a challenge for the fingers of an eight-year old.

Why not start with a ukelele - which I did at his age - the last three strings have the same tuning as a guitar, and it has nylon strings. If his interest holds, then invest in a guitar...
วินเชนท์
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

My idea,
If he is very musical and is trully up for learning then buy him a learning guitar and a really cool Fender Stratocaster - telling him its his when he reaches a certain level set by his teacher. Which guitarists does he like? Pick something which he will have seen being played maybe.
Really imagine his face on Crimbo morning when he sees a real cool guitar!I know at that age if i was given that i would be well happy, hope it goes great Terry! :thumb: :thumb:
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Its true an electric guitar is easier to play but having learnt on a classical from the age of 10 when I got my first electric guitar I found it easy. My fingers flew, you can't beat a hard learning curve. If your not put off that is :?
www.35mmview.com
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Many thanks for the advice everyone

Will bear in mind points made