Lumber co?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Chas
Banned
Banned

Lumber co?

Post by Chas »

Not sure if this is the place to post, but I had a very bad experience at a lumber company yesterday and need to vent. .so bear with me. This company is on the left heading north out of town, just before the pedestrian overpass. I had bought doors and a few other things there previously and I went in yesterday with a list of items.

Two people in the office. . a man who never moves out of his chair and a girl who just couldn't be bothered. I hung around waiting for her to come over and say hello. Nothing happened. I wandered back into the lumber barn to try to find what I wanted. ( The place is a real mess and it looks like a bomb recently went off there. I could find nothing I wanted after all, but I was willing to try.

When I returned to the office area I told the girl in Thai that I wanted two bundles of strapping which I was able to point to. I showed her my list and indicated the need to see what they had in stock. She wanted nothing more to do with me, walked off in a huff and left me standing there with the list. I waited a minute or two, in some shock over her rudeness. Then I got in my car and left.

I wish I had enough Thai and/or an email addess to let the owner know that this chippie lost him a lot of money.( I am only just getting started on several projects here)

I took my business to the lumber yard opposite Golf View which was MUCH better. They greeted me, took my order, helped me find what I wanted and delivered it all to my house that afternon.

So in this post I want to do three things. vent. ( thanks for listening) .which I have done, warn others to stay away from this place and recommend the lumber yard opposite Golf View.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

My advice and take it as you may, don't let things like this get to you to much. I feel the same way every time I'm charged extra because I'm not Thai.
I often wonder to myself if many local realise how many customers/monet they loose in the long run simply because they want an extra baht or two. I have been living here for years and every single day/night I have a beer or two at my local shop down the road. The next shop on charges about 5 baht more and while it is not much, it is, in my opinion, wrong so I simply don't go there. I love Thailand and I love the Thai people so I really wishI could get the message across to them that it would pay off in the long run to treat us the same. My local shop charges me the same prices as they do the Thais and as a result, over the years they have made a lot of money from me.

Maybe its just me but I hate bad treatment on the basis that I'm not Thai.

Just shop elsewhere and don't get yourself upset by it.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Strange one this. It must be the same place that I used to use three to four years ago. Not only were they always helpful but were knowledgeable about their stock and the prices were lower than anywhere else in town for lumber. Also delivery was prompt.

It may have changed hands but I think not. I remember a guy always sitting there and I think he had trouble getting up and down anyway. I was always served by one of two young women.

I did spend about 150,000 Baht with them though so that might be the difference.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Chas
Banned
Banned

lumber co

Post by Chas »

Thanks Takiep. I am not sure that it is because I am farang. This woman didnt seem to have time for anybody and if I might characterize her further, she looked like the owner's daughter ( she wore makeup) and come to think of it, probably had decent English skills. (I never thought that the guy might have trouble walking.) Previously a "country girl" was there and she was OK. But you walk into that office and nobody greets you. . .nobody even looks up. This happened before when three people were behind the desks and before any of them knew if I would spend 150,000 baht or 150.

Thai people are usually not this rude, and in fact, one of the things I LOVE about Thailand is the typical sales clerk (making peanuts in salary) who is almost too friendly and anxious to please. Anyway, I got over it with a resolve never to go back there. Voting with my feet.

I am not in business but if I were in a business like this connected to the building industry, and I had any sense at all, I would make my place foreigner friendly immediately. True much of the building is done with Thai contractors, but "do it yourself" is an ingrained tradition in many countries and in many farang men. The people at this place certainly don't get that.

Home Pro has been my lifesaver! The little Chinese shops may be cheaper, but how many of you (Thai speaking farang) know the words in Thai for wrench, finish nails, pliers or hacksaw? ( No fair asking your spouse. .who may not know either) I have gotten used to drawing pictures and showing them to people. At Home Pro you just find it and put it in your basket. I wish they sold lumber.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Chas wrote;
The little Chinese shops may be cheaper, but how many of you (Thai speaking farang) know the words in Thai for wrench, finish nails, pliers or hacksaw?
A friend of mine had the bright idea of bringing out a very comprehensive catalogue from a building supply company in the UK; now he just go’s to the little Chinese shop and shows them the picture in the catalogue and they root out the nearest thing that they have to it.
Chas
Banned
Banned

Thanks

Post by Chas »

Steve, what a terrific idea!! Never thought of that and I am not sure why because it is the perfect solution. Have to get one sent from home. Thanks.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Chas i do all my own building work and in particular carpentry
There are 2 timber merchants on the road from Hua Hin to pala u
Pae Mai driving range turn right towards pala u about 500 yds on the right the first one does what i would term as quality timber mainly teak
another 500 yards or so further on on the right again is another one and their timber is well cheap they have never screwed me so far but they have all sorts of timber mango jackfruit coconut etc they also dress it for you
Give them a try
Just be carefull of the coconut though it can bugger a set of plane blades in no time its that bluddy hard too much resin in it
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
Chas
Banned
Banned

Thanks

Post by Chas »

Sargent thanks. I was hoping to get another yard to check out. I will do so the next time I am buying stuff. The first on the road to Pala U isnt very big, though they had all I wanted for now. I am just not used to tropical woods though. . .back home it was all pine!

The strapping I bought was pine though as were our doors.

When I lived in Central America, everything was mahogany. .even the desks and chairs in our classrooms. Lovely to work with.