How to register your car

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
raeside3
Amateur
Amateur

How to register your car

Post by raeside3 »

we have recently purchased a new car so have the red number plates on. We asked at dealership how to change plates to the normal white plates and were told we had to go to immigration to register the car. can someone please put me on the right track. Have had car 2 months now.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

I went to immigration just to say I had bought a car, it's just confirming your address, give the paper they give you to your dealer, they do the rest. Anymore than that and they are not giving you good service.
Petrus
Amateur
Amateur

Re: How to register your car

Post by Petrus »

Sorry to hijack your thread, I got a question about this immigration certificate :

I already got one in January when I sold my car. Took me 4h waiting and 500B. I kept a color copy, can I use this to register the new bike I will buy this month?
Or does it have a validity period <6 months?

I d rather not waste another half day of my life at 19 Rai ...

Appreciate any info!
Cheers :cheers:
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I bought a new car two years ago. Went to immigration in advance to get document authorizing us to buy a car. Same document (letter) but with slightly different text is required to get a drivers license. The car dealership required this letter when we purchased the car. We drove away with red plates and instructions from the car dealership that they would contact us with new (white) license plates once the registration process was finalized, and to expect it to take 2-3 months. About 4 months later they contacted me, then drove to my house to swap out the plates. The car dealership handled all the details, but prior to the purchase I needed to get the letter from immigration.
Petrus
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Petrus »

^ yes exactly how it went when I bought my car 6 years ago from Toyota Bkk (because they offered 50k discount, 9 free options & generally much better service than Toyota HH). I
just mailed them the immigration cert and they took care of everything. Their staff even came to my home in HH after only 6 weeks to attach my white plates.
They took care of everything with a smile, including free 1st class insurance.
I can highly recommend Toyota Nonthaburi for their best prices nationwide and outstanding service.

I was surprised when my friend who bought a new Isuzu 2 years ago told me it took her 4 months to get her white plates. Apparently there is/was a glut of delayed registrations because of the first car tax rebate scheme. Funny to see the old battered red tin plates on her 1.2M shiny new ride...

[Side note : I usually like to support local business but the A-holes at Toyota HuaHin would not take my money. They refused to order the common model I wanted even with advance cash payment. F them all]
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Petrus, a foreigner I know is looking to buy a car and completed the form at immigration but was told to come back when he actually has a car to buy as the letter is only valid for one month. However I would still ask immigration as you may receive a different answer!
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

I was driving the car on red plates for 1 month before I got the immigration letter. Popped the letter to Toyota Petchaburi and it was another 2 months before I got the 'white' plates.

Oops
raeside3
Amateur
Amateur

Post by raeside3 »

Thanks everyone. Thank god for HH forum.