New outdoor food courts on 88 and 94

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Outdoor food courts on 88 and 94

Post by Pleng »

Why don't we just remove the "New" from the topic, and then everybody's happy? :)
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: New outdoor food courts on 88 and 94

Post by bsdk1960 »

Big Boy wrote:New or old isn't really relevant. If it has been there many years, then it has been significantly refurbished in the last 12 months. I drive past there several times each day, and the concrete hardstand and row upon row of stone tables are definitely a new(ish) innovation. The important thing is that there is a huge variety of street food, both Thai and International available in a clean environment at street food prices, and it's very good.
The thread was " New outdoor food court on 88 and 94, the 88 has been there for couple of years now so if thats news because a new shop open every month or week or concret is made, I stand by my comment "don't argue with the mods you never gonna win"

:cheers: :cheers:
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Outdoor food courts on 88 and 94

Post by bsdk1960 »

Pleng wrote:Why don't we just remove the "New" from the topic, and then everybody's happy? :)
:agree: but I'm happy anyway :laugh:

Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

We already have a thread started over a year ago about soi 88 food court.

viewtopic.php?t=26494
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

bsdk1960 wrote:I stand by my comment "don't argue with the mods you never gonna win"
I'm still not arguing, and I would have made you aware if I was in

This is no more than a discussion, what exactly do you want to win? It is a discussion about a member recommendation, nothing to do with news, or am I missing something..
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Big Boy wrote:
bsdk1960 wrote:I stand by my comment "don't argue with the mods you never gonna win"
I'm still not arguing, and I would have made you aware if I was in

This is no more than a discussion, what exactly do you want to win? It is a discussion about a member recommendation, nothing to do with news, or am I missing something..
You don't miss anything and it" not about winning,I just don't see how it's news,and sometimes when a member go of topic some of you guys don't mind tell them to stay on topic,that the only point I try raising, and it's not a personel attack on you BB or any ny mods,maybe just try and chill out sometimes,most people don't want to offend anyone and enjoy this great forum
As Arlo posted there is a thread on soi 88 food court were things related to this place should be recommented or discussed.

:rant: :wink:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Please don't take this the wrong way bsdk, but I think there maybe a language misunderstanding here. This is a member recommendation, which we encourage here. Restaurant News is something completely different - confusing the 2 is one of the biggest problems members have in the Feeding Time Forum.

Yes, Arlo is quite right that there is already an older thread. That thread is 15 months old. Yes, we could merge the threads, but we sometimes permit rejuvenated threads to be started after a long time has passed.

Anyway, I hope that my explanation is OK. I will drop out of this discussion now.

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Big Boy wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way bsdk, but I think there maybe a language misunderstanding here. This is a member recommendation, which we encourage here. Restaurant News is something completely different - confusing the 2 is one of the biggest problems members have in the Feeding Time Forum.

Yes, Arlo is quite right that there is already an older thread. That thread is 15 months old. Yes, we could merge the threads, but we sometimes permit rejuvenated threads to be started after a long time has passed.

Anyway, I hope that my explanation is OK. I will drop out of this discussion now.
me to :thumb:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I tried the Soi 94 food court yesterday for the first time - Mrs BB wanted to look at the market, so I thought, "Why not?"

Although it's within easy walking distance, the weather wasn't looking too clever, and Mrs BB is Thai, so I drove. When we got there, parking was well marshalled, and free,

We wandered through the market in light rain. Items were well priced, and Mrs BB indulged a couple of times. Of course, a Thai market does not do Big Boy clothes or shoes, so I basically followed like a sheep (probably in grumpy old man mode :oops: ).

Into the food court - looked clean and tidy. It offered a good variety of Thai food, but other types seemed sparse. I was not in the mood for Thai food (fussy git).................... then I saw it - Indian food. I looked through what was on offer, and chose a few items. I was disappointed it was chicken with everything. Eventually the guy came to serve us (been on walk about). I asked the mandatory question - do any of your curries contain coconut? The answer was, "Don't know." :cry: . My body instantly rejects anything with coconut, so I couldn't take a chance.

That meant I was left with a choice of burger or burger, which I would rate as just OK. Accompanying chips were good.

We sat down to eat our food, which took about 15 minutes to be delivered. The rain was getting harder, but we were under cover. Being under cover in a place where there was so much cooking going on, it became very hot, to the point that it was uncomfortable. Maybe they could use some (a lot of) ceiling fans in the seating area.

The entertainment was OK - a guy singing with his guitar. He was joined by a young girl (I'd guess about 11y.o.) who sang a few English songs. She was OK, but hit a few bum notes - better than I could have done. They were quite funny to watch - people were giving them bits of paper wrapped in a 100 Baht note. The paper contained and advert, which they would read out as songs finished - I'd never seen this before, and it fascinated me,

By the time we'd finished eating, the rain was pouring. We wandered over to what I thought was the new electrical store - it turned out to be what must be the world's biggest 20 Baht store. It was pouring down outside, so it made sense to wander around. Surprisingly there were a couple of well priced bits. My favourite being a multi USB port car charger. IMHO a bargain at 20 Baht - even better, it works.

To conclude:

- Plentiful free parking
- The market seemed very fairly priced.
- Not much non-Thai selection of food.
- Dining area was too hot (for me).
- 20 Baht store got my seal of approval.

Will I go again? Yes, I will probably get dragged down to the Sunday market on a regular basis, and we'll probably eat while there. However, of the 2 food courts, my preference is Soi 88 - I like the open air eating. Maybe choosing a first visit on a rainy evening was a bad move.

Points 41; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Big Boy wrote:Indian food. I looked through what was on offer, and chose a few items. I was disappointed it was chicken with everything.
Apart from vegetable curry 30 baht, egg curry 40 baht and mutton curry 120 baht!
The last 2 items are not on the picture menu around the stall but hand written on a scrap of paper stuck inside the glass.

And if you don't want Thai food a stall close to the Indian has pasta dishes, bolognaise, carbonara etc. I haven't tried them yet so don't know how they compare to the one outside Lotus Express. :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pagey wrote:Apart from vegetable curry 30 baht, egg curry 40 baht and mutton curry 120 baht!
The last 2 items are not on the picture menu around the stall but hand written on a scrap of paper stuck inside the glass.
Unfortunately, the staff had gone walkabout, so there was very little help. My son asked in Thai if there were any non-chicken dishes, but the answer was only chicken. We'll know next time.
And if you don't want Thai food a stall close to the Indian has pasta dishes, bolognaise, carbonara etc. I haven't tried them yet so don't know how they compare to the one outside Lotus Express. :thumb:
That's a shame, we didn't see that. I'd always go for a spaghetti dish over a burger. Again, locked in the knowledge bank :thumb:

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:Restaurant News is something completely different - confusing the 2 is one of the biggest problems members have in the Feeding Time Forum.
So make it harder for them to be confused. One person's 'news' is another person's news + opinion + entertainment listings + reviews + page 3 girls. I suggest burying 'restaurant' at the end of the subject so the skimmers won't fixate on it. Make the subject about business / ownership changes, new start ups and closing forever - using the Brit terms for all of those, of course.
artyoz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by artyoz »

I went to 94 twice last week on Mon & Thur and both nights were reasonably quiet patrons wise. As very much a regular over the last 18 mths at 88 i have had enough of the recently introduced "big bands". I go for a talk with friends have cheap Leo and good selection of food,both thai & western (Great hamburgers BB!!)not watch everyone play with their phones cause you cant hear to talk.Not to say i wont go back to 88 just not everynite. I feel they are still feeling their way at 94. Yes its not easy to find your particular food passion but I've found the more you walk around the more selections you will find. I think BB Sunday's rain may have spoilt sitting outside because there is a large amount of outdoor seating.
My Observations
1.Plenty of parking.
2.Similar prices to 88
3.Sufficient outdoor seating
4.Needs more patrons during the week
5.More patrons more stalls open.
6. Lacks the atmosphere of 88.
7.I like the1 man band & i can actually have a conversation.
Like anything time will tell its success.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I must say, I agree 100% about the bands. Some of the bands they've introduced to Soi 88 would be better placed at a rock concert - they completely kill any chance of conversation.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pagey wrote:And if you don't want Thai food a stall close to the Indian has pasta dishes, bolognaise, carbonara etc. I haven't tried them yet so don't know how they compare to the one outside Lotus Express. :thumb:
I found the pasta stall last night - thank you. Unfortunately, my carbonara was a frozen dish put through the microwave - not a patch on the guy outside Lotus Express.

Points 41; Position 18