Police checkpoints in Hua Hin

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
l112a6

Police checkpoints in Hua Hin

Post by l112a6 »

On 06/08/15 there was a police road-block on the Chomsin road by the railway crossing.

Never seen that before in more than a year.

Anymore other new checkpoint areas been noticed?
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Police checkpoints in Hua Hin

Post by europtimiste »

Most checkpoints are known, so they get smarter, they find new ones.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They don't have to get smarter - plenty of people still not wearing helmets, driving without licence etc. It's all too easy for them to make their daily quota.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

if your legal you have nothing to hide , they are more active now due to orders from the army to actually police rather than sit in coffee shops doing nothing
l112a6

Post by l112a6 »

ste860 wrote:if your legal you have nothing to hide , they are more active now due to orders from the army to actually police rather than sit in coffee shops doing nothing
You can place your trust in the Thai police acting correctly if you want, but I won't be doing so.

People get fined everyday for nonsense so I will avoid having to deal with them wherever possible.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

wear your helmet. passenger wears helmet. international or thai drivers license. not drunk.
smile and be polite. no problems.

if you have time, ask to pay your fine at police headquarters.
they radioed the cop who stopped me for a illegal u turn and made him bring my license to me at the station.

I was in the wrong, fine paid at HQ, cop on the street did not get the money, and had to drive four blocks to HQ.
Cost of fine 12.00 USD. :)
Almost worth it.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

l112a6 wrote:
ste860 wrote:if your legal you have nothing to hide , they are more active now due to orders from the army to actually police rather than sit in coffee shops doing nothing
You can place your trust in the Thai police acting correctly if you want, but I won't be doing so.

People get fined everyday for nonsense so I will avoid having to deal with them wherever possible.
I can only speak as I have found, and have to say that I've never had a Hua Hin Police Officer try to scam me, and I have been stopped at dozens of road blocks over the last 3 years.

The people who complain are always those that break the rules. Is your fear due to hearsay from a bad boy; or are you one who thinks he's above the law because he's in Thailand, and doesn't believe he should be penalised for breaking the rules.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

In 11 years, I have never been fined for something other than not wearing a helmet - 11 years! Last weekend alone, I traveled 600km throughout Bangkok in 2 days.

The guys that complain about 'tea money' and bribes... are drunk divers and bad drivers.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

GLCQuantum wrote:In 11 years, I have never been fined for something other than not wearing a helmet - 11 years! Last weekend alone, I traveled 600km throughout Bangkok in 2 days.

The guys that complain about 'tea money' and bribes... are drunk divers and bad drivers.
you know riding the Skytrain does not count. :D
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

GLCQ, it's the same story for me. I have been caught speeding too many times and can not easily count how many times. I would need to put up my hands-up on all occasions and plead guilty. I have also been pulled over for changing lanes (crossing solid lines) close to traffic lights and again, except on one occasion would plead guilty. In Bangkok I often am checked along with other motorists and as soon as they see everything is in order I'm on my way. Being stopped is of course inconvenient and yes on those rare occasions where I have been banged to rights, I have paid my "fine" there and then because it's simpler and more convenient than the trip to the local Nick.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

l112a6 wrote:

While I certainly don't place my trust in them, I have yet to have any major problems (fingers crossed). I can't help but feel, though, if you have an attitude like of "everybody's trying to screw me over" then it probably shows in the way you come across when you have to talk to the people in question. And if you come across as somebody who dislikes the Thai police when you're talking to them; I guess you probably will end up being fined for 'nonsense'
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

JamesWest wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:In 11 years, I have never been fined for something other than not wearing a helmet - 11 years! Last weekend alone, I traveled 600km throughout Bangkok in 2 days.

you know riding the Skytrain does not count. :D
Fair enough...

...I did 10 clicks then to the first BTS and woz not stopped once.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Pleng wrote:While I certainly don't place my trust in them, I have yet to have any major problems (fingers crossed). I can't help but feel, though, if you have an attitude like of "everybody's trying to screw me over" then it probably shows in the way you come across when you have to talk to the people in question. And if you come across as somebody who dislikes the Thai police when you're talking to them; I guess you probably will end up being fined for 'nonsense'
Yes, exactly. Just the same as the bleeding hearts that have problems with the Immigration Police.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Nereus wrote:
Pleng wrote:While I certainly don't place my trust in them, I have yet to have any major problems (fingers crossed). I can't help but feel, though, if you have an attitude like of "everybody's trying to screw me over" then it probably shows in the way you come across when you have to talk to the people in question. And if you come across as somebody who dislikes the Thai police when you're talking to them; I guess you probably will end up being fined for 'nonsense'
Yes, exactly. Just the same as the bleeding hearts that have problems with the Immigration Police.
Couldn't agree more...

Try doing six years overst... *cough* *splutter*. I mean, try overstepping the boundaries here, while retaining the attitude of a white devil. Be polite, know the culture, know the language...

... you 'get away' with anything here - just the same as the Thai's do. As long as you're not doing anything wrong.

Just don't come off as the white devil...

buksida

Post by buksida »

It is common knowledge that Thai cops in tourist towns are chancers out for a quick buck when they can get one. They pay big bucks to be stationed there, they have to recoup it.

Get out of the tourist traps and you'll find that the police are actually quite amicable.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson