Sea Water Quality?

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
PeteC

Sea Water Quality?

Post by PeteC »

I've seen written on here several times that the sea near the HH downtown area is murky, and the water is clear 15-20 KM south of town. Two questions:

1) Why concerning HH Bay so to speak? Street water run off, general condition of tides churning up the bottom? I don't think it is a sewage problem.

2) Is the sea quality better as you go north, like the Cha Am area? Pete :cheers:
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Pete i think its more to do with all the crapp that flows out of BBK Chao Paya
river and tidal flows some days the water is crystal clear here others its dog poo brown the bay running along Hua Hin and Cha am has no natural shelter , if you travel into Khao ko lok less than 25 k from hua hin there are two bays seperated by a big mountain one side will be choppy as out the other will be flat as a pancake and a sclear as a unmudded lake
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks Dave. What that says to me is that from the end of upcountry monsoon season (now) through for about the next 6-7 months until the Chao Praya rises again, there should be fewer and fewer murky days.

If you're reading in Barry, maybe you more than anyone can see a seasonal pattern as you go out on your trips? Pete :cheers:
deepee
Guru
Guru

sea water quality

Post by deepee »

Some major factors that impact on the sea-water quality near HH are- The more shallow waters in the upper part of Ao Thai.
A rather large drain flowing out of central Thailand (that some call the Chao Praya ),and the major oceanic currents the sweep down from China around the bottom of Vietnam and up the eastern Thai coast, pushing all the crap in this drain back up itself and on across to Pattaya ( I never swim there!)
Plus,of course,the south easterly breezes .
So, on a bad day, these means the beach aint the best place to be at .
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

Some observations:
1. When I was out inOct/Nov 2005, it was extremely windy and the wave action really chruned up teh sea floor. The bay is relatively shallow and has a lot of fine sand and sediment so it gets murky fast. There was also the unmistakable smell of raw sewage.

2. When I was out inSept/Oct 2006, there was no wind and the water was much clearer -- but you couldn't see bottom. It wasn't wind, but there was lots of rain; so I am sure there was significant sediment being carried into the Gulf.

3. I walked north of the fishing pier along the beach -- what a mess!! There is a sewage outfall line there and back in town the Municipal wastewater treatment plant--whether it works or not I don't know. Of course there is no sewage tretment for all the new developmement. So water quality will continue to deteriorate from human activities.

4. If it looks like sh*t and smells like sh*t, it is sh*t. And as a practicing environmental engineer in CA, I do know my sh*t. :)