Free Standing Condos

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
ITKMAN
Banned
Banned

Free Standing Condos

Post by ITKMAN »

I member pm'd me about his purchase and I have heard of this in Phuket. A comple with a high rise and some lowrise villas where the villas are also sold and registered as condos. In Phuket the 2 places that offered such a title had the villas faily close together and all less that 200sqm. What do we know????????????
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes Itkman, this is possible, if you read the actual definition of a condominium in Thai law, you are skating pretty thin; it states, a shared building or buildings subdivided into individually owned units on common land. Now if you have one each, that is not quite shared buildings, but this being Thailand it certainly happens.
In many parts of Asia, with similar condominium laws, they get away with this by building town houses, which being joined together, are one building. There are some of these in Hua Hin, somewhere near the Princess Hotel if I remember correctly.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Free Standing Condos

Post by migrant »

ITKMAN wrote:I member pm'd me about his purchase and I have heard of this in Phuket. A comple with a high rise and some lowrise villas where the villas are also sold and registered as condos. In Phuket the 2 places that offered such a title had the villas faily close together and all less that 200sqm. What do we know????????????
Borrowed from a legal site

* WHAT IS A CONDOMINIUM UNDER THAI LAW?

Answer: The Condominium Act (The Commonly-Owned Housing Act of 2522) defines a condominium as a building featuring privately-owned property and common property. The owners of condominium unit own the land through a juristic person of condominium.

* CAN A FOREIGNER LEGALLY OWN A CONDOMINIUM UNIT IN THAILAND?

Answer: Any non-Thai who has legally entered into Thailand may have a freehold ownership over a condominium unit, constructed on a land of less than 5 rai, of certain projects in municipal jurisdictions of the Kingdom, such as Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket. However, condominium units owned by a foreigner shall not exceed 49% of the total space of the condominium project. Other restrictions are applicable. A non-Thai owner of a freehold condominium unit may transfer a property to other foreigners. If you wish to buy a condominium in Thailand, there are certain points of which you should be aware before choosing your new property:

If you are interested in a used condominium, verify that your ownership of this property would not rise above a total of foreign-owned total space of all units to more than 49% of total owners
up2u
Rookie
Rookie

number of thai owned units ?

Post by up2u »

how would you confirm the number of thai owned units , is a thai company owned by a non thai a thai owned unit?