SIM updates for 10-digit dialling

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

prcscct wrote:Very good Point Steve G., so I decided to try it here. Everyone be prepared to get very confused.

I took my partners phone and called myself but added the new #8. It worked. I in turn took my phone and called my partner with the New #8, and it worked again. To the phones mates and try it please and post your results.

Also, please someone explain why all the newspapers are saying we need to take our phones to the shop? Unless they just do something to automatically update any numbers in your phone book on your SIM card?

If anyone gets the real explanation, please post. :cheers: Pete
I was speaking to our (Thai) vets today & asked why it was better to go to the shop for an SIM update & they said just that, it will update all the numbers on your SIM automatically. Don't know if they're right, but I think I'll give it a go in the next few days (too lazy to do it myself, if there's an alternative! :wink: )
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, I'm not in LOS but the wife is, a couple of days age she sent me the new number. To be sure, I kept the old and the new. Earlier today, texts received were accepted with the new number, but those sent only worked with the old! But when I next checked, all incoming and sent texts had been changed to the new number, which now works both ways and the old number now appears defunct!!
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I was out and about this morning and did some asking as well. As Dawn says, the shop visit is because they have an automatic program to place an "8" in the proper place for all the Thai cell phone numbers in your address book. So, no need to go really if you want to do that yourself.

Quite good salesmanship though. Be unclear in all print adds as to why the shop visit is necessary, get many thinking that they "have" to go then, try to sell the many thousands who will go something when they get there. :roll: Pete
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

My wife changed her's a while ago.
Thing is, until two days ago when I asked her, she'd forgotten to tell me. "Oh yes, if you call me now, you need to put that 8 in". As if I wasn't aware of the change from months ago
Reckon she wanted to AWOL. Only joking. :wink:
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

Can you update your sim-card in any phone-shop, or are there just some "special" phone-shops, which are able to do so????
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

this may well be possible

the original post does stipulate that

"Come and upgrade your mobile Sim card free of charge at your operators' shops nationwide, starting from Sept 1 until Nov 30, or you won't be able to receive incoming calls."
I think this means only the opperators own branches
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You're going to love this one. An update as reported in the press.

Saturday and Sunday, Sept 2-3, more than 500,000 people stampeeded every AIS and DTAC shop in the country to get their SIM cards updated. Their computer systems were totally overloaded and stopped functioning. Those interviewed stated that their understanding was that if not updated BY A SHOP on September 1, they could not receive calls. They were not aware of the grace period up to Nov. 30.

The president of AIS finally stated "you can update your phones yourselves by manually placing an 8 as the second digit, in your phone books...you do't need to come to our shops..."

So, it appears not just me/us confused by the guidance given leading up to this event. Pete :cheers:
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

DawnHHDRC wrote: I was speaking to our (Thai) vets today & asked why it was better to go to the shop for an SIM update & they said just that, it will update all the numbers on your SIM automatically. Don't know if they're right, but I think I'll give it a go in the next few days (too lazy to do it myself, if there's an alternative! :wink: )
WARNING!!!!!!

I had this done by AIS on Monday, for all the company phones in my office. Big Mistake!!! The Software can only manage 8 character names - therefore it renames everything to 8 characters only. also it can only handle 1 Name 1 Number, if you ahve a phone that stores Multiple numbers/emails against a single name you will end up with:-

JONATH01
JONATH02
JONATH03

Instead of JONATHON SMITH (Home Number, Mobile Number, Office Number)

Make a back up to PC if your phone permits.

Also....... to me it is still unclear if the ONLY purpose for the SIM upgrade is to modify the Memory, or is there something else that needs to be activated. The article in the Bangkok Post did state that you would not be able to make call after Nov 30 if you did not upgrdae, but now I wonder if that simply means you will not be able to make phonecalls from memory because the stored numbers are wrong!!!

Anyone know any different?

Winkie
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Big Boy wrote:Is she simply out of touch, or is the publicity to the Thai community a bit slow?
They're alll the same BB. The publiicity has been there for ages. It's just that who the hell would look at a great big advertising hoarding when there's a shoe shop just ahead. And why talk about mobile phones. They are for gluing to your ear and talking compete bollocks for hours not for talking about. If it works don't try to fix it. Bit like the driving phylosophy. If you can't see whats coming pull out on the main road anyway and then you will know for sure.

Hoewever in all fairnesss to the non-technical user the info over the registration regarding bomb detentation was falsley conveyed from the start.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Winkie wrote:
I had this done by AIS on Monday, for all the company phones in my office. Big Mistake!!! The Software can only manage 8 character names - therefore it renames everything to 8 characters only. also it can only handle 1 Name 1 Number, if you ahve a phone that stores Multiple numbers/emails against a single name you will end up with:-

JONATH01
JONATH02
JONATH03

Instead of JONATHON SMITH (Home Number, Mobile Number, Office Number)

Make a back up to PC if your phone permits.

Also....... to me it is still unclear if the ONLY purpose for the SIM upgrade is to modify the Memory, or is there something else that needs to be activated. The article in the Bangkok Post did state that you would not be able to make call after Nov 30 if you did not upgrdae, but now I wonder if that simply means you will not be able to make phonecalls from memory because the stored numbers are wrong!!!

Anyone know any different?

Winkie
The numbers or directory are held on you SIM but many phones also aloow for numbers to be stored on the phone also.

The bit of software that only handles 8 characters is obvious very old from early phones that handled only eight character banes. I had nokia about fifteen years ago that did.

Nearly all modern phones available today have a back up facility where the whole data from youe SIM and your phone is backed up to hard disk. This is usually done to a comma delimited text file. In the West you can just order the wire and CD install disk over the interbet or get you supplier to do so. Here where everybody does not have a PC the phone shops do it for you as a service.

Someone said earlier about this facility. So if you can get it (software) that is all you need. When you get the text file just globally change all the space0 with space08 and reload your phone.

The record only consists of an index number the phone number and the text description. I.e VD CLINIC. The index number has to be there or you will get the problems mentioned above.

Check out you phones internet site and look for accessories. They could be an entrpeneur out there who could make a few black baht doing this as a service. 100 baht per phone.

I can not believe that the phone needs any modification to allow it to use 10 digits. The length of phone number in the UK varies from region to region and has been changed about twice since mobile phones have been around.

I am afraid only time will tell the whole story.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Guess wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Is she simply out of touch, or is the publicity to the Thai community a bit slow?
They're alll the same BB. The publiicity has been there for ages. It's just that who the hell would look at a great big advertising hoarding when there's a shoe shop just ahead. And why talk about mobile phones. They are for gluing to your ear and talking compete bollocks for hours not for talking about. If it works don't try to fix it. Bit like the driving phylosophy. If you can't see whats coming pull out on the main road anyway and then you will know for sure.

Hoewever in all fairnesss to the non-technical user the info over the registration regarding bomb detentation was falsley conveyed from the start.
Good one. :thumb:
Thought I saw something about it 6 months ago?
My wife cdhanged her number a few weeks ago and didn't tell me, as I've posted before. :idea: