For Bangkok bikers, gridlock intimidates, inspires

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

For Bangkok bikers, gridlock intimidates, inspires

Post by PeteC »

http://news.yahoo.com/bangkok-bikers-gr ... 14349.html

(Slideshow and photos at link)

BANGKOK (AP) — Thailand's transport minister got some advice from his mother when she learned he was going to bike the chaotic streets of Bangkok to open a bicycle campaign: "Bring your ID card. In case you get run over, they can contact home."......
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: For Bangkok bikers, gridlock intimidates, inspires

Post by STEVE G »

Recreational cycling seems to have taken off quite a bit over the last few years in Thailand and I see increasing numbers around Hua Hin every time I get out there. Many of them are riding expensive bikes so are obviously reasonably wealthy and I wonder how much rich kids studying abroad has added to the popularity of the sport.
I wouldn't claim it's exactly safe but in an urban environment I don't think it's any worse than using a scooter which many westerners in Thailand seem to be quite happy with.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

What I've also noticed is that by far the majority of the Thai cyclists wear safety helmets - a much greater % than you see riding motorcycles!!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote:What I've also noticed is that by far the majority of the Thai cyclists wear safety helmets - a much greater % than you see riding motorcycles!!
Yes and I've also seen a couple of quite serious looking road race teams that from the look of them come from the military establishments in the area who are very well equiped.