Car rental in hua hin

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
marty175
Rookie
Rookie

Car rental in hua hin

Post by marty175 »

Hi guys, I am visiting Hua Hin in November. I was thinking of renting a car possibly to drive to and around sam roi yod as well as hua hin itself.

Can I drive in thailand with a uk driving license?

It will be my first time driving in Thailand, would you recommend using a GPS for driving in and around Hua Hin?

Thanks!
Big Boy

Re: Car rental in hua hin

Post by Big Boy »

Hi Marty, welcome to the forum. Hire companies will probably rent you a car with a UK licence, but officially you need an International Licence obtainable for about £6 from certain UK Post Offices.

Regarding GPS around Hua Hin - difficult. The whole of Hua Hin has a 77110 post code, so not as easy as the UK. You need grid references, which isn't going to be easy for a first time visitor.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Taken from Budget website.

"Drivers License
All drivers must hold a current, non-probationary license. The license may either be Thai, or from a renter's country of residence (with an English translation) or an international drivers permit. Licenses (and a valid passport) must be carried at all times when driving"

Crazy 88
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Renting a car is easy and as Big Boy says you had best get an international licence. Driving here is very different from the UK and I would recommend looking through the motoring section as a guide to some of the hazards and differences you will find here. If you have never been here before it can be very daunting and going around using a taxi/tuk tuk will give you a quick introduction to it.
Without knowing your driving experience and working on the basis you have only driven in Europe (forgive me if I am wrong) a GPS is likely to distract you from the road which you really do not need. There are similar laws here to the UK but their application varies from not a lot to not at all. When you do rent it is advisable to use a reputable company with all the insurances as this will protect you in case something happens and you are pretty sure of getting a safe vehicle.
Too much to say in one post, just look around the forum and you should get a good idea of what it is like.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Is it mandatory to carry your passport and driving licence at all times when driving in Thailand? Is this applicable for both car and motorcycle?
Thanks,
GN.
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Post by traveller2 »

Ginjaninja wrote:Is it mandatory to carry your passport and driving licence at all times when driving in Thailand? Is this applicable for both car and motorcycle?
Thanks,
GN.
Yes, I believe so. :thumb:

T2
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

The international license is worth the small cost. I've produced it when stopped and no pompem. Last time I got pulled over with two other bikes right in front of the cop shop. The copper grabbed it and smiled at me. Then ran over to the other two bikes to show them. Payday! He had them nailed and happily returned it to me saying kkk with a smile. Never been asked for a passport though.
Happiness can't buy money
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Ginjaninja wrote:Is it mandatory to carry your passport and driving licence at all times when driving in Thailand? Is this applicable for both car and motorcycle?
Thanks,
GN.
As far as the passport is concerned, I believe it's technically mandatory to carry it with you all the time, whether driving or not. I'm not sure of this, although I am sure that very few people do. Those that are worried about this tend to carry a copy of the personal details and visa pages. Personally, I never have either!
And I still keep forgetting to get myself a Thai driving license.
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Thanks,
GN.
I have a Thai driving licence that I keep in my wallet so with me just about 99% of the time, also a photocopy of the detail page of my passport and Thai visa page. I have been lucky so far and never been stopped/asked to show either.
marty175
Rookie
Rookie

Post by marty175 »

Ok that great guys thanks for the info! I will get myself an international driving license!