Car Tyre foot/electric pump

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Car Tyre foot/electric pump

Post by Gregjam »

Can anyone tell me where I can buy either a decent quality footpump or an electric version as I would like to be able to keep my car tyres at the correct pressure. Two duff electric ones and a footpump have already been returned to Tesco before I discovered a neighbour has a proper compressor with a very long hose and came to the rescue.

I had my (small) house knocked down and raised half a metre to avoid flooding a couple of years ago and have just got a Vios which I can just about reverse up the ramp without scraping the body. The clearance is so tight that driving it in is impossible and if the tyre pressures get too low things get a little too close for comfort.

Have not seen this question asked before nor found any reference using the search function. Any info appreciated. Also keeping my eyes out for a cheap set of golf clubs to hack around Tanarat or some other cheap course if there are any out there.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Car Tyre foot/electric pump

Post by Nereus »

Do you want a mains powered compressor, or a 12 Volt unit to run from the car battery?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I was looking for one of the 12 volt units that run from the car's power socket but if a mains powered unit is not too expensive it is a viable alternative.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The 4x4 drivers use the following 12 Volt type. I doubt that you can find one in Hua Hin, but there is a dealer in Petchaburi.

http://www.vvp4x4.com/products/brands/a ... ompressors

Thai Watsadu have a range of mains powered types. Neither of them are "cheap". But you have already tried the "al cheapo`s". :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I had one of those 12V types that plug into car and it worked for a while but soon just gave up. I went back to my old tried and true method of using a hand tire gauge and bicycle pump and getting lots of shoulder pumping exercise. First bought a cheap one at LA Bike and lasted quite about 2 years. Went to Hua Hin Bike shop and got a good bike pump with gauge attached. Cost a 1,000 baht but certainly worth it as it works well and pumps a lot easier. I had a similar Schwinn gauge in the U.S. that lasted for many (20) years and gave away when I left there.

OK now guys I know I am crazy and you will all say its too much work to use a bike pump but its reliable and always works!!! Good exercise for the 72 year old shoulders too.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I might even end up going down the path of a good bicycle pump as although I am a young 51 the exercise would do me good. I would have liked a footpump but again, so far those available have major quality issues. I am off to BKK in a week or so which will give me the opportunity to have a look there or in Petchaburi when I pass through.
certocito

Post by certocito »

I have a Toyota Vigo and normally go to the Toyota garage - they check and top up the tires when necessary. No charge..